nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone played through Solatorobo on this?

I'm getting random crashes when playing the game - I've been able to reproduce the crashes during specific moments in the game, so I'm wondering if people have had the same problems (and yes it's AP patched). For example, I get a crash whenever I enter a certain house in Shetland, and whenever I accept the "Big Fishies" quest).

Reactions: Alexander1970

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm getting random crashes when playing the game - I've been able to reproduce the crashes during specific moments in the game, so I'm wondering if people have had the same problems (and yes it's AP patched). For example, I get a crash whenever I enter a certain house in Shetland, and whenever I accept the "Big Fishies" quest).
Have you tried with a non-AP-patched ROM?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

It is maybe because this is an NDSi Enhanced Game.:unsure:
This Type of Games are known to make sometimes "Troubles".

Thank you.:)

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried with a non-AP-patched ROM?

I have not, I'll try that - but this game has AP checks so wouldn't it just freeze? (I guess maybe mine wouldn't because I've already saved past the AP block?)

Hello.:)

It is maybe because this is an NDSi Enhanced Game.:unsure:
This Type of Games are known to make sometimes "Troubles".

Thank you.:)

It's just weird because I've had zero issues with the game up to this point.

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've fixed the issue, although I'm not exactly sure how...
Did you have the AP Bypass Code activated in the Cheats ?
Nope, no cheats enabled for Solatorobo.

So what I ended up doing was forcing the boot mode to be "DS Mode" (instead of "Default", which I assume boots DSi mode for Solatorobo). After I did this, I had no crashing issues (specifically I was able to accept the "Big Fishies" quest as well as enter that specific house in Shetland). I assumed this fixed the issue.

Separately, I'd been finagling with cheats today in order to fix the black screen issue with Nanashi No Geemu (the first one). I enabled the "Black Screen Fix V3" on that game and was successful with it, but I ended up deleting usrcheat.dat in the extras folder (figured I'd use it some other time) - however despite deleting usrcheat.dat, for some reason Nanashi No Geemu was still booting correctly, which I thought was odd since I deleted usrcheat.dat. I copied usrcheat.dat back into the extras folder and found that the "Black Screen Fix V3" was still enabled somehow, so I disabled it and deleted usrcheat.dat again.

All of that might seem random and unrelated, but out of curiosity, after removing the Nanashi No Geemu cheat as well as re-deleting usrcheat.dat, I ran Solatorobo again in Default mode (I assume DSi mode). I was actually able to enter the house in Shetland correctly in Default/DSi mode, despite it repeatedly crashing before.

I'm not sure if all of that is related, so maybe I just wasted a bunch of words :] Basically, I'm not sure if deleting cheats+usrcheat.dat or running in DS mode fixed the issue. I just thought it was weird. I'll continue to play Solatorobo in Default mode and keep you guys posted if anymore crashes come up. Thanks for your help!

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Amazing release Robz, I was expecting the DSiWare support. Happy birthday!

oNsdXDWl.jpg

Last edited by Deleted member 323844,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how long it has been this way, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Metroid Prime Hunters performs better in DSi More than the standard game loaded via cart. It no longer lags while standing at the Alinos Gateway landing site in a battle, I've only noticed lag when there's a lot of activity with the Shock Coil going on at once.

On that topic, is there a list of games that perform better in nds-bootstrap, be it DSi Mode or not?

Dargentum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
uh, I experienced Flickering where upper screen's textures and models would appear on the opposite Screen on clubhouse games and Magician's quest misterious Time

polikilop

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi. New here. I have a strange problem and couldn't find any help online.

I've got a modded New 3DS XL running a (now) updated twilight menu++ off an SD card. Roms all work fine, except when I try to play local multiplayer, connecting to my old unmodded/unflashcarted DS lite. I know about the WEP security problem with old games, although I'm not sure that is relevant in this case (I'm wanting local, as opposed to online). And the thing is: I can get the two to Download Play naturally, using a cartridge, outside of twilight. I tested with Clubhouse Games in both devices and they worked beautifully. But a rom of the same game (I even tried both EU and US versions -I'm in Australia) in twilight doesn't work. Every local multi game in twilight will merely find the other console, start to download the package, then crash on the DS lite (at the white Nintendo screen) and come up with a "communication error occurred" error on the 3DS. Curiously the wifi bar will be red/empty, go full green when it finds the Lite and starts downloading, then go red again.

I'd really appreciate someone's help.

Last edited by polikilop,

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. New here. I have a strange problem and couldn't find any help online.

I've got a modded New 3DS XL running a (now) updated twilight menu++ off an SD card. Roms all work fine, except when I try to play local multiplayer, connecting to my old unmodded/unflashcarted DS lite. I know about the WEP security problem with old games, although I'm not sure that is relevant in this case (I'm wanting local, as opposed to online). And the thing is: I can get the two to Download Play naturally, using a cartridge, outside of twilight. I tested with Clubhouse Games in both devices and they worked beautifully. But a rom of the same game (I even tried both EU and US versions -I'm in Australia) in twilight doesn't work. Every local multi game in twilight will merely find the other console, start to download the package, then crash on the DS lite (at the white Nintendo screen) and come up with a "communication error occurred" error on the 3DS. Curiously the wifi bar will be red/empty, go full green when it finds the Lite and starts downloading, then go red again.

I'd really appreciate someone's help.
Local Multiplayer is not yet implemented. You'll need to wait for cloneboot support in nds-bootstrap

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work