New nds-bootstrap update improves DSiWare game compatibility on original DS systems and adds save support

dsahjkdad.png

Nds-bootstrap is an essential homebrew for those wanting to play their Nintendo DS games natively on a 3DS, using just an SD card. And as of a new update, it's only gotten better; a few months ago, @RocketRobz managed to get DSiWare titles running on original "phat" DS and DS Lite units, though compatibility was limited, and saving wasn't supported. Now, over 100 DSiWare games work on older DS models, with the ability to save your game data.

What's new?​

• DSiWare playability on DS Phat/Lite is finally out of it's proof-of-concept stage, as you can now save your data, along with 100 titles now supported (plus a few more, if you're using a DS Debug console)!
    • A custom .sav format is used for flashcard DSiWare save files (featuring a "save exist" flag and save size at the end of the file).
    • Shantae: Risky's Revenge can now get past the first two battles using an existing save file!
    • Scroll down to see which titles are now supported to play on DS Phat/Lite.

Some of the games that you can try out include Mr. Driller: Drill Till You Drop, Model Academy, Orion's Odyssey, and many more. WarioWare: Touched! DL version also works, though the audio does not work, because it takes up too much RAM. If you happen to have a debug DS unit, four extra games will work on it: Dragon Quest Wars, Make Up & Style, Metal Torrent, and Plants vs. Zombies.

:arrow: Source
:download: GBAtemp Project Thread

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is great but I can already make these games work on my R4 clone? So I don't understand what is that changed? Is the the digital only versions?

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is great but I can already make these games work on my R4 clone? So I don't understand what is that changed? Is the the digital only versions?

As long as your R4 clone is able to run TwilightMenu++, it should be able to play the listed DSiWare games on this update.

Last edited by DSoryu,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
any point on using this if you have a Flashcard?

Read carefully. Flashcarts can't run DSiWare, neither DSLite/Phat models. This adds support for both of them as long as your flashcart is able to run TwilightMenu++, something that was thought to be imposible for a long time.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know if it would even be worth implementing, but I know some DS slot-2 devices gave the DS extra ram, there’s a list on the dslinux wiki http://www.dslinux.org/wiki/ComparisonOfHomebrewHardware.html
It is unfortunately either not possible or very difficult to implement Slot-2 RAM usage for DSiWare on DS, due to the Slot-2 bus being limited, only one CPU being able to access it at a time, and the console's RAM not being continuous with the Slot-2 one.

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Super news!

Has anybody tested if Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition runs (full playthrough) on DS-Lite?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super news!

Has anybody tested if Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition runs (full playthrough) on DS-Lite?
Unfortunately, that only works on debug models, due to it using more than 4MB of RAM. It also doesn't save either.
For those that do have a debug DS Phat/Lite model, a full playthrough should be possible.

Reactions: x65943 and spkatsi

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Plants vs Zombies already works on the R4? That's what I was pointing out. At least with Wood.
Plants vs. Zombies has a DSiWare version which removes multiplayer (and afaik, the music video which plays at the end), and that version (outside of DSi/3DS) only works on debug DS consoles.
But yes, if you have the regular DS version, play that one instead. There are only a few DS games which have DSiWare versions, and in most cases are cut down from the DS versions.

Reactions: raxadian

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is unfortunately either not possible or very difficult to implement Slot-2 RAM usage for DSiWare on DS, due to the Slot-2 bus being limited, only one CPU being able to access it at a time, and the console's RAM not being continuous with the Slot-2 one.
Maybe a patch that supports the DS-2 flashcart's extra memory could help for the DSiware homebrew? just a thought

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit.. My only guess on making the games work better would be to redirect RAM reads/writes of the upper bits of ram (I.E. the extra mbs of ram the DSi usually has) to the gamecart/its SD card, or a GBA Expansion Pak if that works, in some way similar to the way EmuNAND works. (obvs it'd work different on the inside, I just don't know what else to compare it to)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...