nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

T3CHNOLOG1C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally converted from menuhax luma to a9lh luma, and I'm now using latest twloader and latest nds-bootstrap via the updater.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (U)
White Screen

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (U)
White Screen

Will test a few more games, just gotta dump them first

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh really? Well here is what @ahezard himself said with regard to @_catcatcat's reversing of max overload when I mentioned it to him in the hope that it might be useful :

Yes, we did use maxoverload and another patcher as a starting point, but the patches were written by us.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: lego star wars: the complete saga goes from white screen to black screen
EDIT: IT BOOTS AFTER 10 MINUTES, then freezes
lego star wars II still white screens

Last edited by TimX24968B,

T3CHNOLOG1C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (U):
After about 2.5 Minutes of black screen, gives save error, might work with compatible save chip.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized (U):
After about 3 Minutes of black screen, gives save error, might work with compatible save chip.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Defiance (U):
Black screen, wont boot.

Call of Duty: Black Ops (U):
Black screen, wont boot.

FriendoDependo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since no one answered this, I'll answer this for you.

Post them here and then someone will add them to the google doc list.
Alright, cool.

These were all run on the second card release of nds-bootstrap (the latest, at the time of writing) at TWL clock speed, and with USA region retail roms. I put Brain Boost: Gamma Wave in SLOT-1, though I'm not sure what effect that may have, if any. It certainly didn't help any with saving issues.
  • #0110 Lost in Blue - Boots relatively quickly up to the title screen, where the game gives a "Failed saving data" error
  • #0112 Trace Memory - Animated cutscences play well, aside from minor hangs; allows player to start a new game, but gives an error noise when attempting to save; all text is broken, each line replaced w/ a block that's the same color as the text would be; game runs perfectly well otherwise (better than DeSmuME at least, not a tall hurdle to jump)
  • #0615 Contact - Takes quite a while, but does eventually boot to the title screen; attempting to start a new game will cause the game to crash
  • #0628 Touch Detective - Boots successfully and quickly; title screen FMV plays; very heavy on hangups; after tapping on the title screen, whether the game starts or hangs on a black screen seems to depend on whether the intro FMV was allowed to play out in its entirety (i.e. if intro is allowed to play, then black screen hang); chance of crashing during first dialogue sequence
  • #0823 Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Hangs on white screen
  • #2252 The World Ends With You - Hangs on white screen
  • #2266 Cory in the House - Boots successfully, smooth audio; when the game tries to automatically save after selecting a file to start a new game in, an error screen appears
  • #2704 Time Hollow - After selecting a language, the screen fades to white and stays there
  • #2982 Metal Slug 7 - Hangs on black screen
  • #4821 Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - Hangs on white screen
  • #5478 Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Hangs on white screen
  • #5833 Kirby Mass Attack - Hangs on white screen

LegndaryThemeCreator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Managed to boot Worms Open Warfare (E), it showed the logo screens with minor graphical glitches (Card Release 1) and then gave me an error telling to turn off the device. With card release 2 it stays at a white screen but if a Cartridge of the game is in, it will boot 100%.

Damin72

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
With new version, Sonic Rush work perfectly (Lags in menu and very slow map after 1-st zone, 1-minutes loadings, but gameplay... like on real DS). But need a cart in SLOT-1 (I have Dragon Quest 4 EUR).

UPD. Some new tests.
Trauma Center. HORRIBLE LOADINGS (In dialogs, in menu, in gameplay), but playable and no graphics bugs.
Ace Attorney. Animations works fine, but text loading is long.
Rogue Agent As always freeze on first level in command center with ladder.

Last edited by Damin72,

AntnioMoura

Trophies
XP
Country
With new version, Sonic Rush work perfectly (Lags in menu and very slow map after 1-st zone, 1-minutes loadings, but gameplay... like on real DS). But need a cart in SLOT-1 (I have Dragon Quest 4 EUR).

UPD. Some new tests.
Trauma Center. HORRIBLE LOADINGS (In dialogs, in menu, in gameplay), but playable and no graphics bugs.
Ace Attorney. Animations works fine, but text loading is long.
Rogue Agent As always freeze on first level in command center with ladder.

Trauma Center, AA and Rogue Agent is without cart or with cart?

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just tried Namco Museum DS with card.v2, and it now does boot to the intro and title screen! While I doubt Pac-Man Vs. currently works (Wireless-only game), I tried Pac-Man and it works perfectly without slowdowns. Galaga also does work fine and the others should too.

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Bangai-O-Spirits seems to stay in a white screen before in the latest official version though.
Similarly Sonic Classic Collection is in the same state as before, and Taiko no Tatsujin 2 still doesn't boot, but now it's a white screen in the top, and a black one in the bottom. The former 2 games are USA and the last one was (kind of obviously) JPN.

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Super Mario Star Road DS controls test stays in a white screen for me after waiting like 6 minutes.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: Nope, PictoChat is still as before in card.v2, "Communication Error".

Last edited by TheArcadeStriker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1