nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EU does same thing as US one did, freezes after going into castle.
Blue rescue team took 4 mins to get to company logos,another 3 mins to get to animation before title screen, 2 mins to title screen music but nothing after that. Using US version if that too.
There are two revisions for the us rom, maybe the v01 one could work

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yep, inserted SB Yellow Avenger cart, and with it inserted it Point Blank DS does load!
It takes like 1 minute to get to the menu from the title screen, and less than that to get to the title screen itself.
Apparently choosing a mode in the menu, and then selecting "No" makes it stay for a while (The background still moves) but later gives you control again (Or a unexpected delay), but choosing "Yes" goes to the mode as normal (With loading of course). Also, the menu BGM doesn't seem to loop for some reason.

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still getting a black screen and Power Button error for everything. Using both Release and Unofficial in TWL loader (TWL-loader downloads card for both settings but dldi is downloaded on official only). Setting Console output to Debug doesn't actually produce anything so no help there.

As I said before a genuine Pokemon White card and my Supercard DStwo work so it shouldn't be a TWL issue (nor should they be patched since Luma would kill the TWL launch for the other stuff in that case).

Any ideas what's going wrong ?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still getting a black screen and Power Button error for everything. Using both Release and Unofficial in TWL loader (TWL-loader downloads card for both settings but dldi is downloaded on official only). Setting Console output to Debug doesn't actually produce anything so no help there.

As I said before a genuine Pokemon White card and my Supercard DStwo work so it shouldn't be a TWL issue (nor should they be patched since Luma would kill the TWL launch for the other stuff in that case).

Any ideas what's going wrong ?
Did you install the TWLNAND side CIA (found in "sdmc:/_nds/twloader/cia/")?

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
No. It's a DSiWare app only launched by the GUI. The TWLNAND side has the bootscreen, and starts up bootstrap for loading the ROMs.

Ahh k. I'll install that then. Thanks. You might want to put that somewhere in the TWL loader readme, since it isn't immediately obvious.

ETA - Yes, that was the issue alright. Bomberman now runs happily. I can actually do some testing for the compatability list now.

ETA2 - I see a problem with my logic. I don't have a card who's save I'm willing to sacrifice and I mainly play RPGs. Eg Mageknight - Destiny's Soldier appears to load fine but falls over when it tries to write to the card after selecting a character.

ETA3 - No, I'm wrong. Its Actually running just unplayably slow on the intro bit (which is weird it's not a super cutscene just one of the ones that looks in engine). And now it seems to have frozen at the end of the cutscene.

Last edited by Elaugaufein,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No they don't. What they actually did was reverse engineer Max Overload (which patches NDS roms to run from Slot-2) and then rewrite/reimplement them so that they read from the SD slot rather than the GBA slot. If they had to reverse engineer the Slot-1 access code from scratch it would have taken much longer. Still much harder than just porting an emulator over.
No, this isn't reverse-engineered from Max Overload. For one thing, patching a DS ROM to run from Slot-2 is completely different than patching it to read from the SD card (which isn't accessible from the ARM9 CPU). Secondly, Slot 2 is directly addressable in memory, so the game can simply read memory and the data is there. SD cards are block devices; the data has to be loaded from the card into memory first.

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No they don't. What they actually did was reverse engineer Max Overload (which patches NDS roms to run from Slot-2) and then rewrite/reimplement them so that they read from the SD slot rather than the GBA slot. If they had to reverse engineer the Slot-1 access code from scratch it would have taken much longer. Still much harder than just porting an emulator over.
Just quoting this because this is the most bullshittiest thing I have ever come across on gbatemp.

Reactions: GerbilSoft

Chaos_Therum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh k. I'll install that then. Thanks. You might want to put that somewhere in the TWL loader readme, since it isn't immediately obvious.

ETA - Yes, that was the issue alright. Bomberman now runs happily. I can actually do some testing for the compatability list now.

ETA2 - I see a problem with my logic. I don't have a card who's save I'm willing to sacrifice and I mainly play RPGs. Eg Mageknight - Destiny's Soldier appears to load fine but falls over when it tries to write to the card after selecting a character.

ETA3 - No, I'm wrong. Its Actually running just unplayably slow on the intro bit (which is weird it's not a super cutscene just one of the ones that looks in engine). And now it seems to have frozen at the end of the cutscene.

You could backup the saves then use them for saving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1