Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, i only got different dumps after rebooting the NAND, which of course changes it, thus resulting in different md5 checksum. My dumps are equally sized byte-wise, and share the same checksum (subsequent dumping attempts).

The two USB card readers i have simply don´t give a drive. Only built-in card readers did work for me yet...

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Will look after one of those in Tuesday (stupid Pfingsten... as mich as i like days off work, sometimes they come when you dont need them)

Media Markt also have some other potential candidates in store, i hope one oft Thema will do the job. And when i am home tomorrow i will also revive my old Windows XP netbook. It should have a built-in cardreader as well...

I will report here once i found a working reader and did a successfull reflash. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Will look after one of those in Tuesday (stupid Pfingsten... as mich as i like days off work, sometimes they come when you dont need them)

Media Markt also have some other potential candidates in store, i hope one oft Thema will do the job. And when i am home tomorrow i will also revive my old Windows XP netbook. It should have a built-in cardreader as well...

I will report here once i found a working reader and did a successfull reflash. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Did you solder to the card reader directly or do you use an sd card adapter ?

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I used the adapter variant. Bought the parts from infinitydream.com, which is a french console modding shop. They did the soldering of the USB port and the USB cable, i just had to solder the loose wires of the USB port to my 3DS XL´s board. Luckily my father has a "normal" 35 in 1 card reader, and that one works. Seems like those card readers which are constructed as a stick don´t work for me. I dont know why. But that working card reader of my father also produces the same size of NAND dumps with stable md5 hashes.
I will try and get one of those on tuesday.

EDIT: Just revived my old WinXP netbook, ant its internal cardreader also gives me a dive. I have a working solution for my dumping needs now :D

EDIT2: Just jumped into the cold water now. Quadruple-checked my dumps made from various cardreaders and my Gateway 3DS, all share the same size and all dumps from one source share a single md5 checksum. Updated my sysNAND to 7.2, downloaded patches for Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 7, made some adjustments in my system settings and dumped my 7.2 sysNAND. Reflashed 4.4, and it works flawless. Now i search for that little program which allows me to inject my dumped sysNAND into the emuNAND partition.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Ka-Wing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
10360623_10203842947416953_5031318681480630623_n.jpg

I already have the red screws out. I have the find the 6th and the 7th. Are those under the plastic rubber with the green arrows?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I used the adapter variant. Bought the parts from infinitydream.com, which is a french console modding shop. They did the soldering of the USB port and the USB cable, i just had to solder the loose wires of the USB port to my 3DS XL´s board. Luckily my father has a "normal" 35 in 1 card reader, and that one works. Seems like those card readers which are constructed as a stick don´t work for me. I dont know why. But that working card reader of my father also produces the same size of NAND dumps with stable md5 hashes.
I will try and get one of those on tuesday.

EDIT: Just revived my old WinXP netbook, ant its internal cardreader also gives me a dive. I have a working solution for my dumping needs now :D

EDIT2: Just jumped into the cold water now. Quadruple-checked my dumps made from various cardreaders and my Gateway 3DS, all share the same size and all dumps from one source share a single md5 checksum. Updated my sysNAND to 7.2, downloaded patches for Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 7, made some adjustments in my system settings and dumped my 7.2 sysNAND. Reflashed 4.4, and it works flawless. Now i search for that little program which allows me to inject my dumped sysNAND into the emuNAND partition.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/
and your done

and Ka-Wing yeah 2 screws under the rubber feet

Reactions: wischmob

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, but at the time of your post i was already playing online with my own Mario Kart dump after loading the patch and reflashing my NAND :D

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, quick question

My current 3DS XL is getting a bit worn down, touch screen's giving out on me and additionally I accidentally got some liquid under the top screen from one of those screen protectors.

So I'm considering selling this one and getting another.

One thing I've noticed from my current NAND flash install is that if you use a standard 4-pin adapter, the pins end up getting really worn down the more you use it - some of them are like half the length they were originally now. Only the two on the edges are still as long.

While it's still working (for now), I was considering switching to what some of you had done with a MicroUSB connector in the side where the wrist strap slots normally go.

I'm curious though, when you use that method, how do you connect it to your PC? Right now I just use a modified SD adapter plus a standard USB card reader, and the computer sees it as an unformatted SD card. I doubt you could just plug a standard MicroUSB cable into it and plug the other end into your PC and make it work. Is there some sort of custom cable you have to build for it to work?

If anyone who's done that method could help, that would be great. I'm still considering if I want to get another modded system or just try to repair my current one, but I'd liek to know this beforehand. :yaynds:

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
New to the world of 3DS, the one I bought unfortunately is on 7.2.0, I've found out the only way to dump my NAND is via the hardware method. So that I may one day (possibly never) enjoy the benefits of owning a 3DS Gateway, I would like to do just that and dump my sysNAND so that if an exploit is ever available for my FW I can safely downgrade. I'm looking more for a tutorial that shows me what I need and how to get it done. Am I in the right place?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAND pinout to female MicroUSB + male MicroUSB cable to SD adapter.
So it's similar to other popular methods.
20140123_000050.jpg

Interesting. Would it be possible to create a custom cable that shows up to a computer the same was as an SD in a reader? That way it would be a lot more slimline. Theoretically you could, but I'm no wizard, I don't know how you'd do it.

I had a thought about using some other USB types besides Micro-B, there are some smaller ones like what Action Replay DSi uses. It might fit even better without having to cut any of the plastic, you could just remove the peg and it would just fit. Would all of those USB jacks have the same pinouts?

dbcopter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With the micro USB socket you don't need to cut the chasis. It does fit where the strap goes with no shell modification other than to remove the pin.

I have sodered directly to a microusb reader which kind of cuts out the middle man. This is the generic type reader you get with the CycloDS card etc. I have a shed load of them.
Used an old red SATA cable which is nice and stiff. Makes a great lead. Slid the metal case back over and there you have it. Just to mention the pic of the soldering was taken before I bridged the 2 points far right.... initially forgot to do that until it wouldn't recognise the 3DS. Felt a bit stupid for 5 minutes.
Shell.jpg
MicroUSB.jpg

Reactions: bkifft

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this not work for windows 8? I just got a new laptop and wanted to do my dumps on there to be safer in case of a freak power outage. I had to buy a usb card reader since the taped sd shell wouldn't fit in the laptop's.

Edit: Okay, USB powered ones don't seem to work for others too.

Xeeynamo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I bought wires and a micro-usb port from internet in order to dump the nand via an SD adapter and I'm waiting to receive them. Reading various topics, I read that some people uses only DAT0 (~5MB/s) and others all DAT (16MB/s). The micro-usb has 5 pins, so if I connect CLK, GND, CMD, DAT0 and DAT1 can it works with a speed improvment?

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for help with mod gone wrong. I had a friend who knows soldering do the mod. Couldn't boot it up, so he de-soldered it, and it still won't boot. I managed to play with the power button and got it to boot once and played a game, but it shut off when I moved the screen. All new solder has been removed. Seeing no shorts using a magnifying glass. Any suggestions?

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looking for help with mod gone wrong. I had a friend who knows soldering do the mod. Couldn't boot it up, so he de-soldered it, and it still won't boot. I managed to play with the power button and got it to boot once and played a game, but it shut off when I moved the screen. All new solder has been removed. Seeing no shorts using a magnifying glass. Any suggestions?

Define "moved the screen", it would suggest that the cables connected around that screen or of the screen it self are not plugged in all the way or were disconnected by the movement.

What I would suggest otherwise is to take out the battery for a while. (try a minute, or a day)
Because for some reason, my 3DS started working again after a year I did my NAND dump, doing a uninterrupted full charge from a depleted battery.
Now I can dump without problems, btw.

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Define "moved the screen", it would suggest that the cables connected around that screen or of the screen it self are not plugged in all the way or were disconnected by the movement.

What I would suggest otherwise is to take out the battery for a while. (try a minute, or a day)
Because for some reason, my 3DS started working again after a year I did my NAND dump, doing a uninterrupted full charge from a depleted battery.
Now I can dump without problems, btw.

Moved the screen=adjusted the angle with the clicky noises and such. The battery will charge when plugged in, but power button does not do anything.

SINSEN

Trophies
XP
Country
hello i have same problem, i have error 1117, but only CAN READ NOT CAN WRITE nand, read are ok with win32diskimage

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hello i have same problem, i have error 1117, but only CAN READ NOT CAN WRITE nand, read are ok with win32diskimage

would indicate write protection:
- either the SD reader registers writeprotect on (most likely the small plastic tab is missing or in the locked position(if that's the case simply tape over the small hole on the side of the SD card), if you soldered straight to the SD reader you'd have to bypass the writeprotect detection switch)

- or your 3DS system memory got write protected, which should only happen as a result of a launcher.dat related brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol