Tell me why it would run on a ds ?

even on the psp, the n64 emulator is mostly unplayable

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
but what if, we found a way to port .exe files and ported a N64 pc emulator - the emulator can run the game on the pc, so by my theory, it should be able to run at a few fps slower than the game on pc on the ds.

its not impossible - people have just looked at the facts and passed it of as impossible when nobody has ever tried

ok.. if that isn't stupid, i don't know what is..
ph34r.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
but what if, we found a way to port .exe files and ported a N64 pc emulator - the emulator can run the game on the pc, so by my theory, it should be able to run at a few fps slower than the game on pc on the ds.

its not impossible - people have just looked at the facts and passed it of as impossible when nobody has ever tried

ok.. if that isn't stupid, i don't know what is..
ph34r.gif

Hey, with a little brain power we might make it work.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is the requirement for Project64

#Â Pentium III 600 Mhz or better
# 128 Mb. RAM or more
#Â Fast video card with 16 Mb. Video RAM or more

Tell me why it would run on a ds ?

even on the psp, the n64 emulator is mostly unplayable

That's to fully emulate it (full speed and everything).

PSP's specs:
# CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
# Main Memory: 32MB
# Embedded DRAM: 4MB

I forgot that the PSP is a P3 with 600+ mhz and 128 mb ram...

Also, people, quit being so fucking stupid over this issue. It IS possible to write (I never said anything about porting) an N64 emulator for the DS, it would (like I already said!) run very slowly.

P

pasc

who cares ?

Omg let's write a Ps3 emu for the Ds that will work for sure ,we just need to get a dump of the hd disks and a proper SDHC Card and:

PS3 on DS !

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it would be possible to emulate N64 games on the DS, assuming someone had the patience and ability to make the emulator or port a PC one over. However, it would not be anywhere near close to full speed, like several people have stated. In the end, it's not worth the effort.

It's like the DS emulator for the PSP. Yes it works but nobody in their right mind would use it to actually play a game due to its extremely slow speed.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not of the opinion that n64 on the DS is possible. the n64 has a larger poly per second count and allows greater strides in graphics than the DS (although I don't think many games took advantage of this....maybe conker). I got this comparison from here:
http://forums.e-mpire.com/archive/index.php/t-15500.html

Nintendo DS:

Main CPU: ARM 9, 67 MHz
Secondary CPU: ARM 7, 33 MHz

Memory: 4 MB main RAM, 656 kB VRAM

Sound: ARM 7, 33 MHz
16 simultaneous channels
stereo sound

Graphical prestations/effects:
ARM 9
dual 256x192 screen resolution
solid 60fps
120,000 polygons per second with all hardware effects @ 60 fps (expect game benchmarks to be a little less.)
262,144 colors
4 million vertices/second
30 million pixels/second fillrate
Cel-shading
Hardware fog
no bilinear filtering This really sucks...

N64

Nintendo 64:

Main CPU: R4000, 93.75 MHz
Secondary CPU: , 62.5 MHz

RAM: 36 Mb (4.5MB) main RAM, 8.5MB with expansion pak

Sound: , 62.5 MHz
16-24 channels OR
max. 100 simultaneous channels, though take 1% of the CPU each (developer's choice)
Dolby Pro Logic (1, not 2) Surround sound

Graphical prestations/effects:

256x224 or 640x480 screen resolution
lots of graphical sacrifice needed for a solid 60fps (like F-Zero X)
32,000 colors on-screen
150,000 polygons with all effects @ 60 fps (Nintendo says)
100,000 " " " " " " (benchmark says)
unknown vertices and fillrate
hardware fog, bi- and trilinear filtering

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
fenthwick said:
Well... there is an unpacker for n64 roms. If only a skilled programmer could see if there was something that could be done for porting.

Put it this way, the amount of code needed to downscale the graphics from N64s resolution to the DS's resolution would take alot of processing, so much so that there's no way in hell that it would ever run at a playable frame rate.

There's also no point in trying to port disassembled code as you would have to be both an incredibly talented N64 programmer and an incredibly talented DS programmer.

Brainy142

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
People, the ds is just too plain slow you need to be FATSER to emulate something what you asking is like a gamecube to emulate xbox games it simply cant happen. now if someone made the remote desktop working at 20fps THEN you could possibly run the emulator from your computer. but it still wouldn't look good.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brainy142 said:
if someone made the remote desktop working at 20fps THEN you could possibly run the emulator from your computer. but it still wouldn't look good.
Homebrew wifi usage is limited to 30 KB/s. In order to send 20 images a second (in a perfect world), they would have to be 1.5 KB... That's a solid color

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily. I got about 90 kb/s downloading a file to my card via DSLinux. It then slowed down due to having to write to the card and download at the same time, but if it was discarding the data after receiving it rather than writing to the card as well, I'd imagine it would stay at 90 kb/s.

D

Deleted User

Smash Bros. falls under difficult as it uses many more resources, so they would have to squish down much of the graphics and such to be able to fit into 4MiB of ram. The SBM used 8.5MiB (I believe) in the N64.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^^
Are you kidding?? The DS can support up to 32MB (MB not Mb) of slot-2 ram! Nintendo may someday make a DS expansion pack that uses that much, and some third-party packs already have that much ram in them (eg. the M3 Real Expansion). So for ram capability,
nds.gif
>
n64.gif

I heard someone say that an ARM processor is much more efficient than the one in the N64. Better architecture or something.
yaynds.gif

Even so, I wouldn't bet on a N64 emulator on the DS.
dry.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slot-2 RAM is very slow to access compared to the 4 MB of on-board RAM. Due to this, it's best if used for static content that isn't going to change often. It's not usually that great when using it as general RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto