Homebrew N64

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a theory that you CAN MAYBE port an N64 game to the DS, IF you can decrypt the main executable, and IF you can disassemble it, and even THEN it would only run at maybe 30FPS (reasonable) MAXIMUM. Practical, NOT A CHANCE. Possible yes. But that would be a converter like those Xbox "emulators". Or you can (try) to play SM64 at about 1FPS.

Posts merged

stratton_865 said:
Nintendo may someday make a DS expansion pack that uses that much

It's called the Opera Expansion Pack.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Three of these idiotic threads should warrant matthewd997's ban.

If he's not a troll, he's easily one of the stupidest person ever to grace this board.

matthewd997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:

If he's not a troll, he's easily one of the stupidest person ever to grace this board.

so my idea's are a LITTLE bit farfetched, bt come on gys, I'm new to this stuff, did you ban revengebeast? NO, and he was a super-noob, one day I'll finally finish learning to code and start making homebrew- thus ending my crappy threads

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I always wondered why they don't make emulators dedicated for one game in particular to have it run perfect. For example someone makes an Chrono Trigger-only SNES emulator which would emulate CT perfectly on the DS, I know this isn't doable for all games ever created, but just for the most famous ones like CT and Earthbound, ....

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
matthewd997 said:
Urza said:

so my idea's are a LITTLE bit farfetched, bt come on gys, I'm new to this stuff, did you ban revengebeast? NO, and he was a super-noob, one day I'll finally finish learning to code and start making homebrew- thus ending my crappy threads
You're in no place to call other people "noobs"; in fact I would probably rank you above revengebeast in the annoying moron category.

The original post you made isn't "a little bit farfetched", it shows that you know absolutely nothing about how game consoles work, and that you've decided to also ignore anything anyone else says because for whatever reason you want to desperately keep alive the fantasy world where PSX, Windows, and N64 emulation are all viable.

So heres the bottom line,

YOU'RE AN IDIOT. YOUR HYPOTHESES ON ANYTHING MILDLY TECHNICAL ARE WORTH NOTHING. YOU ALSO HAVE NO COMMON SENSE. IF YOU'RE OVER THE AGE OF 8 I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TAKE AN IQ TEST AS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROVIDES FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED.

That is all.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm usually not as sympathetic as Uzra but yeah you should get some help.

Remember for future reference: You can do a lot of independent research too.
lecture.gif

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said it was POSSIBLE, not in the least bit practical. So could GBAtemp, PLEASE put some kind of warning about emulation of more powerful consoles.

Posts merged

matthewd997 said:
Urza said:

Umm, sorry to double-post, but LITTLE far-fetched? Trying to fetch your practicality is like trying to find a needle in 268,435,456 asteroid fields. Your right about one thing, all of these things are POSSIBLE, but not in the least bit practical. So forget that you ever proposed this and enjoyed your stay. No I'm not calling you a noob, I'm calling a guy who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. I may be no better, but that doesn't make you any better.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grimalkin said:
techforumz said:
Oh, didn't see that.

That's it, right there. Perfect.

You just got the Darwin Award.

What do you want me to say?

And no, not whatever your thinking. LOL.

SPLIT:

I did some digging, and as it turns out, it's possible to emulate the N64 on the PC and use the DS as an interface. The 30KB/s is slightly off. That estimate is due to the slow writing speeds of the Flash cards. Without writing, the DS can actually go upto 256KB/s in ideal conditions, but 128KB/s is more realistic. So 128/20=6.4KB per frame. I then compiled a 256*192 picture via GIMP in only 5.8KB (JPEG, 40%). If the PC could do this in real-time and send it via WiFi with only about 1 second delay, then we'd be grand.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
WTF??? So you're saying that 20fps with a lag is acceptable? It wouldn't be playable. Besides which what you, and everyone else who thinks it's possible, are forgetting is the fact that the N64 has 9 buttons AND an analog controller. How do you intend to emulate the analog pad using solely digital means? Don't say the touchscreen either, SM64DS sucks because of the lack of analog stick. Yes you can play it using the touchscreen but it feels nooooowhere near as nice and fluid as using the N64 controller.

It's just NOT possible to emulate the N64 on a DS, it's like asking how you can emulate the C64 on a Vic 20. A much better and useful project would being figuring out how to rip apart an original N64 and put the guts into a homemade handheld like many people have done with the NES, SNES etc.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say I would be emulating on the DS, on the PC and streaming at 20FPS. Probably not playable, but it's just a best-case scenario.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
techforumz said:
I didn't say I would be emulating on the DS, on the PC and streaming at 20FPS. Probably not playable, but it's just a best-case scenario.

Uhm the game would still have to be played on the DS, unless you're saying you're going to control it from the PC as well? Regardless of whether the rendering is done on a PC server what you are attempting is N64 emulation on the DS, which, and I'll say it again, just isn't possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.