Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be worth asking a Mod to change the thread title to something more appropriate :)
Ah, hmmm yeah, I had it changed once as I think I forgot to add N3DS lol. I'll see about getting it changed but with the amount of views and replies I hope people can tell that good stuff has been happening here. :P

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some images I got to do of a N3DS recently, it's much smaller can cable management a is a bit different but it was fun to do! ^_^

External MicroUSB connector with charging.
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Back microUSB connector, no charging.
IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Here are some images I got to do of a N3DS recently, it's much smaller can cable management a is a bit different but it was fun to do! ^_^

mBI4c9

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG
Where's the red wire going? I see ground (black no doubt), CLK (blue), Red ( ??? ) on top. Yellow and green (dat, cmd i guess) going underneath.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is going to Vcc actually but I decided against it after not putting a switch in it and the port is only in the back. I used all 5 pins of USB Micro with a simple switch to support charging over the microUSB port when the switch is off but even if it's on it won't fry your 3DS just cause it to error. This was two fold, to prevent accident fry of people plugging in a normal cable and to be able to change it because sometimes we forget the Nintendo funny power adapter.

When the switch is off it shorts the two USB data lines to allow for charging and per the spec and I don't have to worry about the ID pin since most common USB cables do not use that or even hook it up to anything, as grounding it would make it an OTG cable.

I've done this to my system and it works pretty darn well, I can play and charge it off my computer, wall charger and etc using a standard USB micro cable and then using the SD adapter I can read and write the eMMC.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is of the external microUSB mod that allows for eMMC read/writing and charging the system. A SD adapter is still needed but a normal USB cable can be used to charge it.
I placed the switch where the stylus is so when you pull off the stylus and back battery cover you can access it form there, it either connects the USB Data lines to the eMMC or shorts them for faster charging.

Sorry it's ugly in here, since this is my own system it's gone though so many iterations, test, and various mods before I work them on anyone else's system so it gives me an idea of what to do and how to keep it clean.
img_0420-jpg.16626

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues with the mod on my N3DS XL. I was able to do it before on a different one, but I ruined that being stupid, and now I can't figure out what went wrong. Does it matter which point you use for soldering as long as there is continuity?

I ask because for ground, I just soldered to one of the big solder blobs on the power connector. It has perfect continuity with shielding around the MB. I also used the CLK point on the same side. It has continuity with the 4 tiny points on the other side that people are using. No matter which reader I use, it isn't detected by Windows and the blue screen shows all 0's in the top 2 rows, but when turning it on while plugged into different readers, I can get a 400 on the bottom left set of numbers, or a 00000003.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues with the mod on my N3DS XL. I was able to do it before on a different one, but I ruined that being stupid, and now I can't figure out what went wrong. Does it matter which point you use for soldering as long as there is continuity?

I ask because for ground, I just soldered to one of the big solder blobs on the power connector. It has perfect continuity with shielding around the MB. I also used the CLK point on the same side. It has continuity with the 4 tiny points on the other side that people are using. No matter which reader I use, it isn't detected by Windows and the blue screen shows all 0's in the top 2 rows, but when turning it on while plugged into different readers, I can get a 400 on the bottom left set of numbers, or a 00000003.
Yes you can use those points just fine, and curious what card reader are you using? There are two eMMC's in use on the N3DS / XL one that works with specific card readers and the other seems to be better with most.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can use those points just fine, and curious what card reader are you using? There are two eMMC's in use on the N3DS / XL one that works with specific card readers and the other seems to be better with most.
I need to meter everything out again, I guess. I'm at work at the moment so I can't say exactly what I'm using, but I tried several. One is from Transcend that was recommended, and another older Transcend model, a Sandisk reader, another one I can't remember the name of (starts with an A and is found in the camera section of my local store).

I hope I wasn't a dufus and managed to swap dat0 and CMD... I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE taking the damn thing apart! I'm getting very quick and proficient in doing it now, but I swear, I have to put it back together twice every time to get it to power on :wacko:

Edit: double checked my wires and have good continuity from the correct pins on the card to the correct spots on the board (even though my ground and CLK are using alternate points). Even booted it up on the first try (1st time for everything). But here are the results of my many readers:
Code:
Transcend USB 2.0 (no model on it but I ordered one recommended from here)
Bootrom 8046
Errcode: 00F800EF
            FFFFFFFF    FFFFFFFF
            00000003  00000000

Vivitar 50-in-1                  SanDisk micro mate SDDR-113    GearHead (can show pic of board)
00F800FE  00000000      N3DS boots as normal...???          Same as Vivitar
00000400  00000000

Transcend Multi-Card reader M3        Dane-Elec P/N:680-070-803
00F800FE                                        00F800FF
00000000  00000000                      CFCFFFFF    FFFFFFFF
00000200  00000000                      00000080  00800000

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the readers show up when connected? I had a problem initially where the reader would pop up and then almost freeze the system up. Ended up being a bad solder point on my DAT0 line

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The recommended model of transcend makes windows play the sound for plugging it in and unplugging... Repeatedly
Which recommended one? The Anker one is the recommended one as the newer transcend does not work on both of the N3DS eMMC. I updated the first post to try and update the relivant SD card readers based on my own I have and what other have said work.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which recommended one? The Anker one is the recommended one as the newer transcend does not work on both of the N3DS eMMC. I updated the first post to try and update the relivant SD card readers based on my own I have and what other have said work.
The one I ordered was Transcend P5: TS-RDP5K I read somewhere that it worked so I ordered it specifically :(.

Just ordered both The Anker (just now) and the one below it (already shipping). But where I'm at, it will take at least a week and a half to get to me. I guess in the meantime, I'll desolder and resolder everything just to make sure... but like I said, I have continuity to all points from the SD card adapter to the MB...

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it can be the SD adapter and not the wires at all. I had that SD card reader and the old version of it worked but the new version of it didn't. Sadly I do not know what the older controller was and it was more then a couple years old at that point.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The transcend reader has a GL834 on it :( so it supposedly works on 1 of the two emmc versions... which version is it supposed to work on and which version do I have? My dump size is: 1,269,760 KB.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The transcend reader has a GL834 on it :( so it supposedly works on 1 of the two emmc versions... which version is it supposed to work on and which version do I have? My dump size is: 1,269,760 KB.
That is the Samsung 1.21 GB (1,300,234,240 bytes) and yes that is known not to work on in :(

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the Samsung 1.21 GB (1,300,234,240 bytes) and yes that is known not to work on in :(

Thanks for the info! On the bright side, I don't need to take it apart again and redo all of the solder points now. Until I get my hands on a known working reader anyway... from pictures posted I'm 100% sure my wires aren't too long. They're very short and very small (awg 30 solid core)

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here my works, not yet testing because my reader not yet arrived.
11159513_10205552152539232_2663831720471905050_n.jpg

1526678_10205552140538932_8340045311340211431_n.jpg

Avalynn : The pin out in SD connector is use as standard right even using 4 DAT pin ?

Anyway, thanks for your guide. That help a lot.

Update 1 : Quick check 3D mode not working, Home button not working. Maybe it's just a ribbon issue

Could you show us the inner installation of the USB3.0 connector ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it