Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

bluke

Trophies
XP
Country
Could you show us the inner installation of the USB3.0 connector ?
It's the same with the microusb. CMD, CLK, GRD, DAT0 for microUSB part, the rest for DAT1 - DAT3.

Here the pic
photo.php
11150417_10205636384084968_6473740214865122191_n.jpg

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't use my New 3DS XL NAND mod to write, only read. When I try to write using Win32 Disk Imager, sometime within 0%-2%, it fails with the error "Error 21: The device is not ready.". Often, the drive letter disappears from Windows when this happens. The boot ROM's blue screen of death is showing as intended.

I'm hooking up the SD card adapter thing directly to my laptop's built-in SD card reader. This is because the NAND mod does not work with the USB SD card reader Avalyn gave me when attached to either of my two computers, nor does it work with my existing USB SD card reader. My laptop's built-in SD card reader was the only device I had that could see the NAND mod as a device at all (also read it), but it seems to be unable to write to it.

By the way, why does a dump from Gateway's NAND dumper differ so extremely from a dump taken from a crashed boot ROM immediately after? Once Gateway is running, flash shouldn't be changing anymore, and boot ROM shouldn't be changing the FAT16 area of flash, so why do the dumps differ so much?

Melissa

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't use my New 3DS XL NAND mod to write, only read. When I try to write using Win32 Disk Imager, sometime within 0%-2%, it fails with the error "Error 21: The device is not ready.". Often, the drive letter disappears from Windows when this happens. The boot ROM's blue screen of death is showing as intended.

I'm hooking up the SD card adapter thing directly to my laptop's built-in SD card reader. This is because the NAND mod does not work with the USB SD card reader Avalyn gave me when attached to either of my two computers, nor does it work with my existing USB SD card reader. My laptop's built-in SD card reader was the only device I had that could see the NAND mod as a device at all (also read it), but it seems to be unable to write to it.

By the way, why does a dump from Gateway's NAND dumper differ so extremely from a dump taken from a crashed boot ROM immediately after? Once Gateway is running, flash shouldn't be changing anymore, and boot ROM shouldn't be changing the FAT16 area of flash, so why do the dumps differ so much?

Melissa
Hmm that card reader might actually have an issue and I can send you out a new working one asap. I'm not sure exactly why they would be different but maybe something is running in background during gateway and keeps changing. During the boot error the eMMC does not get written to at all.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Well my StarTech FCREADMICRO3 arrived today from amazon (earlier than expected), haven't had a chance to give it a good testing yet but i did open it up and take some pics. :)

Will report back once i get a chance to give it a good amount of testing. :)
synlvkH.jpg

8bg20uM.jpg

2vj5Fqv.jpg

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my StarTech FCREADMICRO3 arrived today from amazon (earlier than expected), haven't had a chance to give it a good testing yet but i did open it up and take some pics. :)

Will report back once i get a chance to give it a good amount of testing. :)

Lucky you... I was expecting my reader today but it didn't arrive. Here's to tomorrow...

Too bad in Japan all of the brand names are different. I could have easily purchased one off the shelf, but I haven't been able to find any information on what names/models contain what chipset inside :(

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had the idea of nand mod that dosen't imply soldering so we don't loose the waranty
You would need a special jig with pogo-pins possibly to connect the eMMC on the motherboard, have the screens plugged in at least, and supply it power.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is another fun one I did of a N3DS with the microUSB and a switch for eMMC and charging, you still need a SD adapter but when it's switched to changing you can use any normal microUSB cable to charge the system from a computer. wall adapter, battery backup etc.. If you forget to switch it back to charge mode... , don't forget to switch it :sad:, although nothing terrible should happen to the system, an error at most, it's not completely guaranteed unless switch to charge mode.
IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone managed to fix home/mic/3d connectors not closing properly (and therefore the buttons not working ?)

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I kinda got that part. Thankfully, If I was reasonably gentle when I opened them. If I press on them while the system is on with my finger they both work. Wonder what are my options now... Glue ?

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
That looks correct :)

Really?
So, this is what I did.
I soldered wires directly to the reader (those colored pins) and then soldered the other ends to the N3DS. When I turn it on, I get a blue screen and stuff but if I try to connect the reader to a USB my computer complains that the USB device was not recognized.

The wires are small,around 10cm long.

Any clues?

EDIT: BTW, the reader is working. I tried a microSD and it worked to read and write to it.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really?
So, this is what I did.
I soldered wires directly to the reader (those colored pins) and then soldered the other ends to the N3DS. When I turn it on, I get a blue screen and stuff but if I try to connect the reader to a USB my computer complains that the USB device was not recognized.

The wires are small,around 10cm long.

Any clues?

EDIT: BTW, the reader is working. I tried a microSD and it worked to read and write to it.
you need to close the contacts to enable read/write of the controller to the eMMC.
GL827-DX-Read.png
Try that once the it's plugged in either push the two legs together or add a switched between those two pins but you might to double check that it works before soldering the switch in.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
you need to close the contacts to enable read/write of the controller to the eMMC.
GL827-DX-Read.png
Try that once the it's plugged in either push the two legs together or add a switched between those two pins but you might to double check that it works before soldering the switch in.

Ahh I see...
So, I first solder to the N3DS, then short those two pins then turn the N3DS on and, last but not least :P, plug the reader to the computer :)
will try that

Thx ma'am :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.