I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS could possibly be the first handheld Nintendo system to have games that have multiple cartridges.

Like they have some pretty impressive games being shown, and I have to say I doubt they'd all fit into a 2GB cartridge. Yes they could always increase the size limit, but would that really be enough?

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol are you saying that we have to change cartridsge when we reach a certain part of the game?

That would be stupid and careless about the 3DS...

Oh and games are estimated to go from 256Mb to 512Mb

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
The 3DS could possibly be the first handheld Nintendo system to have games that have multiple cartridges.

Like they have some pretty impressive games being shown, and I have to say I doubt they'd all fit into a 2GB cartridge. Yes they could always increase the size limit, but would that really be enough?

Why?

I thought 2gb was the minimum cart size, not the max. Remember though, the screen size is still smaller than old VGA, were talking early 90's PC games here. Even full length movie in 3D is only going to be maybe 400-500mb.

I'm extremely confident that Nintendo has done their research on this and know exactly what they are doing.

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Goten said:
Lol are you saying that we have to change cartridsge when we reach a certain part of the game?

That would be stupid and careless about the 3DS...

There are already 512 Mb game(s) on the ds so it'll proabbly be higher.
)
And I don't think nintendo will do multiple cartridges for one game, but we'll probablly have to wait for the first games to come out. I'm sure Nintendo knows what they're doing, so don't worry too much~!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo systems prior to the DSi could not handle hot-swapping because of the way they operated, but the DSi could while in it's menu. While companies could do hot-swapping like how games on the GC and other disk-operated consoles have done, they will more likely resort to higher capacity cards instead because that removes the need to duplicate anything between smaller cards, allowing more content if they felt like it.

Goten said:

Upwards of 2GBytes (not Gbits) at launch, but not limited to that later on like how DS cards can hold up to 512MB now. That doesn't mean all games will use a card that big.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
Nintendo systems prior to the DSi could not handle hot-swapping because of the way they operated, but the DSi could while in it's menu. While companies could do hot-swapping like how games on the GC and other disk-operated consoles have done, they will more likely will resort to higher capacity cards instead because that removes the need to duplicate anything between smaller cards.

Homebrew DS coders managed to get how swapping to work on the DS/Lite, see NitroHax and of course Datels ARDS.
The DSi however does not allow hot swapping anywhere esle other than the main menu.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
2GB is the max at launch
so games 16GB or even 32GB could come out later < doubt it but you never know

32GB....How many PS3 games actually use the full 25GB space on a Bluray disk (or 50GB on a DL)?

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Jun 17 2010, 01:41 PM) Homebrew DS coders managed to get how swapping to work on the DS/Lite, see NitroHax and of course Datels ARDS.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, though not exactly Nintendo official.

G

GentleFist

this thread seems to be based on nothing

nintendo site says max cart size 2gb AT LAUNCH

if they wanted to say its the max forever they wouldnt have added at launch

so thread is fail~

read one sentence, know that that is very unlikely to happen

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
GentleFist said:

so thread is fail~

You forgot to mention that the thread also included the possibility of multi-cartridge games and hot-swapping, though it may not happen. The DSi had an early design of having 2 DS card slots in it. Possibly an attempt at games utilizing both cards like one complete game, or to just reduce the swapping needed for that one game that is mostly played.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh come on! We have microSDHC cards that can hold up to 32GB on them and take up less space than half a postage stamp. They can put as much memory as they need on a DS sized cart, and do it cheaply enough these days where it really won't affect the cost of the game hardly at all. And SDXC is just around the corner which will go as high as 2TB. There will NOT be multiple carts for a single game.

The only time we'll see multiple carts for one game is when they pull that scam like they do with the Transformers games; separate Autobot and Decepticon versions, when they could have just been one cart for both sides.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GentleFist said:

so thread is fail~

It's just a small discussion thread. I'm not saying "Hey guys the 3DS is going to have multiple cartridges!". No.

Atleast this thread is better than some of the crap like "How long will it take to hack".

Before posting in a thread try finding something to contribute to the conversation instead of trying to blow out of the water because "TATS WAT KEWL KIDS DO, HURR DURR...YOU FAILZ LAWL"

If people would read we know that gamecube games are 1.3 GB, a lot of the higher end GC games require multiple discs. The 3DS is said to have on par if not better graphics than the GC, so that would add up to a large file size. In all honesty it's not how much the cartridges can hold, but more of is it cheaper to have 2 4GB cartridges or one 8GB cartridge?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Oh come on! We have microSDHC cards that can hold up to 32GB on them and take up less space than half a postage stamp. They can put as much memory as they need on a DS sized cart, and do it cheaply enough these days where it really won't affect the cost of the game hardly at all. And SDXC is just around the corner which will go as high as 2TB. There will NOT be multiple carts for a single game.

The only time we'll see multiple carts for one game is when they pull that scam like they do with the Transformers games; separate Autobot and Decepticon versions, when they could have just been one cart for both sides.
I wonder why they even do that... Same goes for the Pokemon games...

moon_wolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario galaxy 2 fits in 1.3 Gb two times 1.3 is 2.6 Gb and there you got a wii 3D game so so i don't think it will have multiple cartridges

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
moon_wolf said:
Mario galaxy 2 fits in 1.3 Gb two times 1.3 is 2.6 Gb and there you got a wii 3D game so so i don't think it will have multiple cartridges

Yah but MG2 is the odd one of the bunch
tongue.gif
, brawl is a huge size.

redsmas

Trophies
XP
Country
Because its going to have the software install feature this could be a possibility or could be quite likely, although saying that I think there could be a chance of getting games that have expansions.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cart capacity is pretty much the only doubt I have for the 3DS. I doubt it'll be a problem for games like OoT and games developed from the ground up for 3DS, but a game like MGS3 which I can only guess fills a DVD on PS2 may have to be slimmed down to fit on a 2GB cartridge for 3DS. I would be devastated if any of the dialogue or cutscenes were removed from the game. Even the random stuff you can get people to say over codec when you're bored. Or that hidden minigame that Metal Gear Solid: Rising oddly reminds me of.

Multiple cartridges wouldn't work nearly as well as multiple optical based media since (if they have similar hardware to any of their other cart based consoles) the hardware relies on being constantly connected to the cartridge to play the game. Once a cart is removed, the hardware crashes which means it would have to save a file to the 3DS memory and load that file after a restart with the new cartridge. Possible, but not as practical.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Unlikely if they learned anything from save-hack exploits, to have it load something by cart-switch would PROBABLY lead to a pretty easy (twilight princess like) exploit (inb4 people comment on my use of the word easy)

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saddamsdevil said:
Unlikely if they learned anything from save-hack exploits, to have it load something by cart-switch would PROBABLY lead to a pretty easy (twilight princess like) exploit (inb4 people comment on my use of the word easy)

Save access doesn't mean that you'll automatically have an exploit
tongue.gif

Plus there's tons of other things standing in the way of hacking a console besides an exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel