Homebrew Mini vMac for 3DS

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
and was this difficult to port? simple but long/difficult but fast etc?
i'm impressed how good and crisp the text looks (top screen) in your screenshots!

Last edited by cearp,
D

Deleted User

The 3DS can now run all three (older versions) of the major operating systems! (Linux, macOS, Windows)
It was only a matter of time.

Reactions: olec04

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
What sorcery is this?! You successfully transitioned what is practically a dead operating system that ran on a Motorola 68000 to an ARM11 architecture? This is amazing!

Yes, Linux and Windows 98. Forgot what version of Linux, it's an older one.

Reactions: olec04

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damn it I don't know where to get the stuff for this

Yeah, unfortunately this is definitely not the easiest thing to get up and running vs something like dsx86 which was drag n drop.
That being said once you get the hang of copying files into the disk images it only becomes minor torture vs horrible torture.

I'm sure someone will put together a complete disk image loaded with games at some point.

and was this difficult to port? simple but long/difficult but fast etc?
i'm impressed how good and crisp the text looks (top screen) in your screenshots!

It wasn't too difficult, the most annoying thing is the packet loss I'm getting on my network which makes testing a pain in the ass.
Also losing the console device for debug info was a pain when it came to working on the keyboard.

That being said I had ported this already multiple times and a bunch of the code is from those versions I worked on but never released, this is why support for colour displays will be easy to add later on.

Reactions: cearp and olec04

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, unfortunately this is definitely not the easiest thing to get up and running vs something like dsx86 which was drag n drop.
That being said once you get the hang of copying files into the disk images it only becomes minor torture vs horrible torture.

I'm sure someone will put together a complete disk image loaded with games at some point.

It wasn't too difficult, the most annoying thing is the packet loss I'm getting on my network which makes testing a pain in the ass.
Also losing the console device for debug info was a pain when it came to working on the keyboard.

That being said I had ported this already multiple times and a bunch of the code is from those versions I worked on but never released, this is why support for colour displays will be easy to add later on.

What other versions do you think could run? I think 8 might. Though the PowerPC platform is quite different.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool! Does Glider work?

I may have to look into cracking my N3DS after all. But it's all up to date and in perfect condition...

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
On the site I went on to aquire a boot disk, the highest version it had was 7.5.5, which is what I'm using now. I haven't seen any issues on it yet, other than the bit of stuttering in the truly demanding tasks like word processing and basic shapes which is probably down to that this is just a 3dsx and not a full blown cia with due optimisation.

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Ya know, it occurred to me that this is probably a LOT easier than trying to run MacOS on your PC.... lmao.... I remember reading that AMD PCs were a nightmare to setup, though Intels were no cakewalk, either. Never did manage to pull that little experiment off. Had better luck with a CLI Linux install. Ohh, that was fun! :rofl:

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is entirely user mode, the CIA version will probably not enhance performance in any way.
The likely cause of it being slow is that even on a real Macintosh Plus system 7.1 and beyond are slow as literal balls.

Cool! Does Glider work?

I may have to look into cracking my N3DS after all. But it's all up to date and in perfect condition...

I haven't tried it yet, but it should run anything that runs on the desktop version of Mini vMac.

Last edited by TarableCode,

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This is entirely user mode, the CIA version will probably not enhance performance in any way.
The likely cause of it being slow is that even on a real Macintosh Plus system 7.1 and beyond are slow as literal balls.

Draggin' balls.... I remember how bad it was. I mean, even the Apple II and Lisa models ran better than this.... Geez, I feel so old.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time