Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Gemuzuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damm, people are coding minecraft on almost anything nowdays, DS, Wii, Iphone, Linux distros, Mac, Windows, Android .

Great game btw, it feels like minecraft-alpha for me, made some houses, scavaged in caves, etc.
Maybe in the future possible to pregenerate maps with random blocks like gold, iron and diamond? This would make digging more interesting and give people a goal to search for.

[ignore]Maybe also redstone, mobs, tnt and the enderdragon ?[/ignore]

Gemuzuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No. Not close to possible.
Notice the [ignore][/ignore]? I put those because it would be obvious that it is not possible, with what little RAM the DS has for use and its weak CPU.
Only reason i wrote it was for lol or boreness, though the tnt could be possible in some sort of instant remove way without animations, if DScraft calculates blocks in XYZ potitions.

Good day.

Gezumuki.

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Notice the [ignore][/ignore]? I put those because it would be obvious that it is not possible, with what little RAM the DS has for use and its weak CPU.
Only reason i wrote it was for lol or boreness, though the tnt could be possible in some sort of instant remove way without animations, if DScraft calculates block XYZ potitions.

Good day.

Gezumuki.
Then why did you say it?

Gemuzuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then why did you say it?
"Only reason i wrote it was for lol or boreness"
For no reason whatsoever, i hoped people like you would know i was not serious, i even added [ignore] and made it harder to read to give that idea.

Lets not make a big deal about it.
Good day.

Gezumuki.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
No. Not close to possible.

meh, i disagree. i think mobs and TNT are most definitely doable without all that much effort. the only real challenge in that list is redstone... which is probably also doable one way or another, but it would certainly require some thought.

either way, I'm not working on this anymore, and haven't for over two years now, so don't expect any updates Gezumuki.

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
meh, i disagree. i think mobs and TNT are most definitely doable without all that much effort. the only real challenge in that list is redstone... which is probably also doable one way or another, but it would certainly require some thought.

either way, I'm not working on this anymore, and haven't for over two years now, so don't expect any updates Gezumuki.
Well, it would be difficult.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
as is anything worthwhile. if anything, it being difficult makes it more interesting.

Not entirely sure why you'd consider Redstone to be difficult to pull off, you could treat each quad/face as a metaphorical "object" and if said face is "FaceType = Redstone", you could force it to look around for adjoined faces which are also "FaceType = Redstone" (Finding those is relatively simple, if the face shares 2 vertices with another face, it's adjoined in a "Minecraft-y" way) and thus create whole strings of Redstone. Do the same with Redstone activators (torches and whatnot) and you have a working Redstone circuit implementation. I too would sooner expect Minecraft-like explosions to be more difficult to implement - not explosions as such, just explosions that "look Minecraft-y"

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely sure why you'd consider Redstone to be difficult to pull off, you could treat each quad/face as a metaphorical "object" and if said face is "FaceType = Redstone", you could force it to look around for adjoined faces which are also "FaceType = Redstone" (Finding those is relatively simple, if the face shares 2 vertices with another face, it's adjoined in a "Minecraft-y" way) and thus create whole strings of Redstone. Do the same with Redstone activators (torches and whatnot) and you have a working Redstone circuit implementation. I too would sooner expect Minecraft-like explosions to be more difficult to implement - not explosions as such, just explosions that "look Minecraft-y"
well I mean if we're assuming infinite memory and CPU time, sure, it's trivial. the challenge here comes from the fact that we're quite limited in what we can actually do, which requires us to use smart, well thought out data structures and assorted algorithms.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
well I mean if we're assuming infinite memory and CPU time, sure, it's trivial. the challenge here comes from the fact that we're quite limited in what we can actually do, which requires us to use smart, well thought out data structures and assorted algorithms.
True, true - the DS isn't exactly a powerhouse with loads of memory. It's already impressive that DSCraft is the way it is without chugging. :P

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and are you gonna release source code if you aren't doing it anymore?

i won't. i really think that the only way to make a better version of DScraft would be to redo everything from scratch. that's why i wrote that article ( http://smealum.net/?page_id=80 ) explaining the somewhat tricky parts; the way i see it, anyone who wants to build a better game has everything they need to do so.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i won't. i really think that the only way to make a better version of DScraft would be to redo everything from scratch. that's why i wrote that article ( http://smealum.net/?page_id=80 ) explaining the somewhat tricky parts; the way i see it, anyone who wants to build a better game has everything they need to do so.
That's a very interesting article you wrote :yay:. One last thing: If someone were to attempt to rewrite it from scratch and they used your guide for the tricky parts, wouldn't they recreate your DSCraft with the same (or most likely worse) engine and performance/quality? Or do you believe there are simplistic parts that can be optimized and made better than in yours. To me this is like inventing the wheel, yet patenting it so the wagon is never created.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
That's a very interesting article you wrote :yay:. One last thing: If someone were to attempt to rewrite it from scratch and they used your guide for the tricky parts, wouldn't they recreate your DSCraft with the same (or most likely worse) engine and performance/quality? Or do you believe there are simplistic parts that can be optimized and made better than in yours. To me this is like inventing the wheel, yet patenting it so the wagon is never created.

in the article, i don't just describe how DScraft worked; i describe how it could (should, really) have been done better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1