ROM Hack [MH4U/MHX] ROM Hacking Guide

VaxSan21

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
how did you extract the .arc files from MHXR? I'm with all the .arc of the game but I could not extract any of them! can you help me please?

shamp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
how did you extract the .arc files from MHXR? I'm with all the .arc of the game but I could not extract any of them! can you help me please?
mhxr? do you speak to him monster hunter explore? if so, you can share the .arc files, I've been searching for them :c

I-am-Walter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received the romfs folder but no arcfs folder. The cmd window opened only briefly (after double clicking on 2_extract_arcfs) and nothing happened

VC123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone assist me? I'm trying to extract textures from MHX, but when I use tex2png, I'm getting "Error Unsupported Version: 32928"

Shikoru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd hate to be that guy to bump a dead thread but just made an account and can't pm yet.
Awesome, almost surprised it took this long, moment HANS came out I toyed with getting a weapon over from MH3U to MH4U for the hell of it, didn't have much luck glad to see someone has worked out some modding :)
I've attempted to do this by fiddling with the .arc files but with MH4G*>MHXX. Using Luma w/ built in LayeredFS.
First I tried to dragdrop a MH4G .arc (The Tessaiga swo076) onto the Jewelled Sickle (w07 171.arc) with no success.
Every attempt the weapon is invisible.

I tried recoloring the Jewled Sickle repacking the .arc and then running w/ Luma.
I got the same results..
I don't know what it is, this is my first attempt at modding anything 3ds related. Maybe it's just me.
Maybe Luma doesn't work? I'm using the same filepath format and the folders are the same using the translation patch.

TL;DR It's been a while and I would like to know if anybody has had luck porting weapon .arcs
to other games.

Elphin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has probably been answered already but would I be able to extract weapon and armor models with this?

Shikoru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This has probably been answered already but would I be able to extract weapon and armor models with this?
Yes. Obtain your romfs.bin by extracting it from a 3ds/cia file.
You extract every file from the game from romfs.bin into a romfs folder. (1_extract_romfs.bat)
Then extract all the .arc files into more folders. (2_extract_arcfs.bat)
There you will have the folders of weapons, monsters, and armor with their .tex texture files and .mod model files.

Floboy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes. Obtain your romfs.bin by extracting it from a 3ds/cia file.
You extract every file from the game from romfs.bin into a romfs folder. (1_extract_romfs.bat)
Then extract all the .arc files into more folders. (2_extract_arcfs.bat)
There you will have the folders of weapons, monsters, and armor with their .tex texture files and .mod model files.

Hey i got arc file but i can't expore them, after more try i finily got arc file because first time this option don't run. but i have extract with MHtool and got arc file for MH3U and i don't found model armor, sorry i'm a noob ^^ i try to export 3d model of armor for cosplay ^^

Last edited by Floboy,

SomaCruz10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Strange thing happens to me, those tools not work for me, like tex2png, tried to install and reinstall python many times, but on second computrer they works fine and I can convert tex to png.

PS: Strange thing, when I ask question I often found solution, so problem was that I had python and tools on different hard drives

Last edited by SomaCruz10,

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm trying to edit sound files but I must be doing something wrong because the song plays, it loops, but it doesn't loop at the sample I told it to. It just loops from the beginning, which sounds like shit.

Here's an example of my batch:

wav2dsp.exe file.wav
python mcatool.py -mhx -ls 003379200 -le 009023488 file.wav
del *.dsp

Once it finishes nothing really happens aside from the .dsp, I assume it replaces the .wav already present? Or is something else supposed to happen? Don't remember very well, it's been a while. Thanks.

Silverice19

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im having a problem. Whenever i try to drag the tex file onto the tex2png.bat the cmd window just pops up and quickly goes away. Is there a way to fix this?

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So, does this set of mod tools also work with MHXX? I have the .3ds file for use with Citra and specifically want to open up files of interest and edit little things. Like undoing the motion value nerfs on some weapons during the transition from 4U to Generations, increasing internal bowgun ammo supplies, making certain hunter art charge times the (S) level instead of (M) or (L), specifically Energy Charge on Switch Axe.

Nothing exceptionally game breaking aside from wanting to make use of things the vanilla game currently doesn't allow you to. Like Dragon Shots, various unique internal munitions, stuff like that.

Problem is, I also have no earthly clue where to find a hex editor and even more importantly how to read what I'd be seeing should I open up any specific file using said hex editor. Where can I find a good and preferably free hex editor?

Last edited by Deleted member 414661,

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, does this set of mod tools also work with MHXX? I have the .3ds file for use with Citra and specifically want to open up files of interest and edit little things. Like undoing the motion value nerfs on some weapons during the transition from 4U to Generations, increasing internal bowgun ammo supplies, making certain hunter art charge times the (S) level instead of (M) or (L), specifically Energy Charge on Switch Axe.

Nothing exceptionally game breaking aside from wanting to make use of things the vanilla game currently doesn't allow you to. Like Dragon Shots, various unique internal munitions, stuff like that.

Problem is, I also have no earthly clue where to find a hex editor and even more importantly how to read what I'd be seeing should I open up any specific file using said hex editor. Where can I find a good and preferably free hex editor?

Dude, hex editing a videogame isn't some easy task everybody can do, there is so much code to read and there is no software that'll go "Motion Value for Charge Blade upswing 24, enter desired value". I don't mean to be rude, but since you don't even know where to get a hex editor, let alone read the code, then I'd say don't bother because you won't get anywhere.

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Dude, hex editing a videogame isn't some easy task everybody can do, there is so much code to read and there is no software that'll go "Motion Value for Charge Blade upswing 24, enter desired value". I don't mean to be rude, but since you don't even know where to get a hex editor, let alone read the code, then I'd say don't bother because you won't get anywhere.
I mean, I did use APM's Save Editor for 4U which is just a translated Hex Editor and I looked up the Hex Codes for Decorations to make some broken as F*** fun sets since relic grinding was not my thing. I was thinking that it'd be about as straightforward as that. Or that there were programs made that were that level of common sense.

And also since I made the post you quoted I've found most of what I'm looking for to even try hex editing. Found these romhack tools, just need to figure out how to convert .3ds to romfs.bin. Since people usually use braindump to get stuff off a cartridge into a romfs directly, is it possible to install and use braindump on Citra?

Last edited by Deleted member 414661,

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I mean, I did use APM's Save Editor for 4U which is just a translated Hex Editor and I looked up the Hex Codes for Decorations to make some broken as F*** fun sets since relic grinding was not my thing. I was thinking that it'd be about as straightforward as that. Or that there were programs made that were that level of common sense.

And also since I made the post you quoted I've found most of what I'm looking for to even try hex editing. Found these romhack tools, just need to figure out how to convert .3ds to romfs.bin. Since people usually use braindump to get stuff off a cartridge into a romfs directly, is it possible to install and use braindump on Citra?

You can extract the romfs.bin from your game with this. Citra can't load any homebrew apps, only decrypted .3ds games.

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Ok, so I used that program to extract the romfs and renamed the "DecryptedRomFS.bin" to "romfs.bin" like the instructions for this show.

But when I double-click the extract romfs.bin function it flashes a window open and shut on my screen for half a second at most and nothing happens.

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lately I haven’t had much luck with the tools either, maybe it’s something to do with the newer versions of Windows, I don’t know. Just use the ExtractedRomFS folder created with the tool I gave you, and then extract only the arcs you need to edit with this.

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Okay so I've got the extracted romfs.bin named as such, but when I double-click the first thing to actually open the romfs up, a window flashes into and out of existence in a milisecond and nothing happens. What is going on and how do I get this to work?

Note: I'm trying to mod the .3ds file of Monster Hunter XX, which has the same file structure as MHX that this mod was meant to work with.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lately I haven’t had much luck with the tools either, maybe it’s something to do with the newer versions of Windows, I don’t know. Just use the ExtractedRomFS folder created with the tool I gave you, and then extract only the arcs you need to edit with this.
I'm trying to open the romfs portion because of the small handful of direct edits I'm looking to do.
1. Increase motion value for Pellet S from current 5 to 6-7 per hit.
2. Increase Dragon S ammo capacity to 60 rounds like every other Elemental Shot.
3. Increase ammo capacity of Cluster lvl1-3 to 60 rounds (I'm only able to play XX solo so I kinda need some advantages when trying to progress to G rank, never done it truly solo before).
4. Increase all internal Element lvl2 and Piercing Element lvl1-2 capacities to 60 rounds, again to balance out the realities of solo play.
5. Increase capacities of Sting S, lvl2 status, lvl1-2 blast, and other unique internal ammos to reflect the realities of solo play.
6. And then finally swapping out the charge times for a handful of good HAs from M or L into S. Specifically Energy Charge and the HBG art that increases movement speed/reduces reload time/reduces recoil. And I guess also Absolute Readiness.

Or, if such a thing existed I'd just use an external hack tool to give myself infinite bowgun ammo and HAs always charged but idk if that's possible.

I'm a slightly above average player in MH and like the difficulty of the game, but sometimes crazy-small limits on certain ammo types is borderline stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol