Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironn3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to put the files on my SD card it says they're write-protected. How do I get around that?

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
works great on O3DS with EmuNAND 10.5, Are you planning to mod Reinand 3.2b since it's out right now with few extra fixes ( e.g. Rei in version number )? thx
I also want this, even if it has to be a separate version of this mod (one with rei in version and one without).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, it should work fine on 10.5.
Thus far every single CFW I have tested worked just fine
This one may not have been the first, but it's the most professional looking one. I am updating now and testing RXTools Nightly, ReiNAND (ReiNand Mod by Aurora Wright,) and Cakes Nightly.
RXTools latest nightly: Working just fine
ReiNAND (mod): Working just fine
Cakes latest Nightly: Working just fine
All running on on old3DS 9.0 SysNAND using Gateway emuNAND. All coldbooted perfectly, all cia games installed and launched perfectly.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I chose not to implement the arm9 thread as it needs more work to find the offsets, and really brings no advantage, with themes you can easily tell apart sys and emunand, and there's at least one confirmed game which has issues with the Ver patch, Terraria. Rei said there's nothing that can be done to fix it until the patch is arm9-based.
Besides, this is already based on 3.2 apart from the thread fixes (as this doesn't have the thread)

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been completely unable to use ReiNAND or PastaCFW. I was thinking I set them up properly, but I'm uncertain. Could someone help me?
I'm on 9.2 U SysNAND and I have 10.5 EmuNAND. rxTools and CakesCFW work perfectly, but when I try to open PastaCFW or ReiNAND I only get a black screen. (I know that having more CFW is unnecessary, but I'm trying to examine and experiment with the way other CFW works.)

Any idea what I did wrong with ReiNAND or PastaCFW? I can provide any additional details needed on troubleshooting my issue

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
I chose not to implement the arm9 thread as it needs more work to find the offsets, and really brings no advantage, with themes you can easily tell apart sys and emunand, and there's at least one confirmed game which has issues with the Ver patch, Terraria. Rei said there's nothing that can be done to fix it until the patch is arm9-based.
Besides, this is already based on 3.2 apart from the thread fixes (as this doesn't have the thread)
Well why not implement it in your own way where it doesn't mess up terraria like instead of 'rei' do 'aur' since this is a custom mod of Reinand therefore is it's own separate project.

Last edited by Svaethier,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terraria worked fine for everyone else, the problem was with Rei's own copy.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I want to say thanks for this modified version. It's nice being able to run ReiNAND on the O3DS. And it's nice having the SysNAND option back as well.

However, for N3DS purposes, it would be great if this could run alongside the official release. I like having auto-booting files on CBM, so, the official release is fine for replacing the "ReiNAND-emunand.dat" that used to be the 2.1 autoboot EmuNAND file. However, the lack of SysNAND in the new release left me without an MSET fallback payload that runs both. Then this came along. It would be perfect, but the use of different firmwares makes it necessary to rename files in CTRXplorer. A minor inconvenience on my N3DS, but I would usually not put CTRXplorer (or FBI) on an N3DS I'm modding for someone else.

I've been using v2 as my main CFW on O3DS XLs though. It works great. Especially with NTR (rarely freezes at "patching the svc check"). Which is why I unfortunately won't be trying out v3 on the O3DS. I see nothing worth killing NTR for atm. Cell9 has said that he is skipping 10.4 firm support, because there's nothing that needs it. Unless he changes his mind, NTR is not going to work with v3 (until it is obsolete, anyway).

For the above reasons, if it's not too much trouble, an alternate release that runs the 10.2 firm would be very much appreciated (or maybe an autodetect feature that can run both). Still, it's your mod. Granted, it's open source, so I could always try to recompile it myself I guess (though I'd rather leave it to someone more knowledgeable). Also, an "rninstaller.nds" for the O3DS would be nice (for the moment it's just Cakes and rxTools after all). I'll second the request for multi-EmuNAND support as well, especially since it looks like mid-kid has already added it to a Cakes nightly. Surprising. I actually requested it for rxTools ages ago. But it got buried, so I kind-of gave up on it. Running EmuNANDs for all 3 major regions would theoretically be the ultimate in multi-region support, though at the cost of storage space.

Thanks again for all you've done.

Eh, if only we could have CFW as simple as reinand but with included region free patch... I would be so happy.
Of course there are rxtools and cakesfw, but they have a bunch of useless (for me) functions and thus making me a little uncomfortable to use them.

Sounds like you've never used Cakes, and are just assuming it's like rxTools. Cakes doesn't have a lot of extra functions, nor is it RF. If anything, it needs to add a function to select different firmwares, so you can boot SysNAND using 9.2 without renaming files). It's straightforward, streamlined, and rock solid on both platforms. I'd highly recommend having it as a backup option. Now rxTools I can somewhat agree with you on. You're better off using Decrypt9 for said functions anyway (they actually work right).

People have been asking the authors of ReiNAND and Cakes for RF for a long time. The thing is, ReiNAND and most other CFWs are ARM9. NTR is ARM11. So, it's not just something that can be copied and pasted. Though I'm certain they will find a way eventually.

In the meantime, you can solve game/app CIA issues by re-downloading non-RF games in ROM format, and convert them to CIA with Simple CIA Converter. Just make sure RF is checked. It really is simple, not to mention fast. And it's worth it to know you have proper conversions. You can do something similar with DSiWare. Grab both the CIA and NDS archives on "that iso site". Install a same-region game you aren't going to play for every other-region game you want to play, dump TWLN.bin, inject the other-region NDS files over them, then reinject TWLN.bin. Then install the same-region CIAs that interest you. You still need Gateway or NTR for out-of-region DLC, and one of the many RF cart methods for out-of-region carts, but at least things stay visible, unwrapped, and in their folders.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First off, I want to say thanks for this modified version. It's nice being able to run ReiNAND on the O3DS. And it's nice having the SysNAND option back as well.

However, for N3DS purposes, it would be great if this could run alongside the official release. I like having auto-booting files on CBM, so, the official release is fine for replacing the "ReiNAND-emunand.dat" that used to be the 2.1 autoboot EmuNAND file. However, the lack of SysNAND in the new release left me without an MSET fallback payload that runs both. Then this came along. It would be perfect, but the use of different firmwares makes it necessary to rename files in CTRXplorer. A minor inconvenience on my N3DS, but I would usually not put CTRXplorer (or FBI) on an N3DS I'm modding for someone else.

I've been using v2 as my main CFW on O3DS XLs though. It works great. Especially with NTR (rarely freezes at "patching the svc check"). Which is why I unfortunately won't be trying out v3 on the O3DS. I see nothing worth killing NTR for atm. Cell9 has said that he is skipping 10.4 firm support, because there's nothing that needs it. Unless he changes his mind, NTR is not going to work with v3 (until it is obsolete, anyway).

For the above reasons, if it's not too much trouble, an alternate release that runs the 10.2 firm would be very much appreciated (or maybe an autodetect feature that can run both). Still, it's your mod. Granted, it's open source, so I could always try to recompile it myself I guess (though I'd rather leave it to someone more knowledgeable). Also, an "rninstaller.nds" for the O3DS would be nice (for the moment it's just Cakes and rxTools after all). I'll second the request for multi-EmuNAND support as well, especially since it looks like mid-kid has already added it to a Cakes nightly. Surprising. I actually requested it for rxTools ages ago. But it got buried, so I kind-of gave up on it. Running EmuNANDs for all 3 major regions would theoretically be the ultimate in multi-region support, though at the cost of storage space.

Thanks again for all you've done.
I made a NTR compatible build (just v3.1 with changed offsets). This needs 9.6 FIRM on O3DS and 10.2 FIRM on N3DS (NTR doesn't support the 10.2 one on O3DS), so I made a different zip on the iso site. I think some demos need the 10.2 FIRM (I seem to recall that from the cakes thread?) so you risk losing some compatibility:)

Last edited by Aurora Wright,
Reactions: klear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa