Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the v3 dont boot for me on old3ds black screen after the splash screen.the v2 work fine i dont understand

Last edited by laharl22,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a small mod to ReiNand, to add some features. This was for my personal use, but I decided to go ahead and share it.

Compared to the official 3.1 build, this has:
- N3DS 10.4 FIRM support
- O3DS support (on >= 7.x consoles only)
- SysNAND support (both with the 10.2 FIRM and the 9.0/9.2 FIRM on NAND).
- Splash screen only delays boot if rei/splash.bin is on the SD card.
- No ARM9 thread (in the official builds, this provides the "Ver." cosmetic patch in System Settings, which happens to patch random "Ver."s in FCRAM, and thus made me uncomfortable, Pokemon screenshots and FCRAM dumping).

How to use:
- Unpack the ReiNand.dat, and the 3dsx/smdh (if needed), and the appropriate rei- folder for your console. Rename the folder to just "rei", and put the firmware.bin in it. New and Old 3DSes have different firmwares! With the latest release, N3DS needs a 10.4 firmware.bin. The one provided in the official build is no longer suitable! O3DS needs the 10.4 FIRM too, so make sure you update it if you used a previous release! I uploaded them to some "iso" 3DS site, in the CFW discussions section (this should be enough to Google it).
- Normally emuNAND is autobooted. On Old3DS, the FIRM reboot patch is applied by default, to allow games which work in the larger RAM mode (Smash Bros, MH4...) to work. This prevents GBA and DS/DSiWare games from working, however, you can disable the patch by holding A on boot.
- If you hold L on boot, sysNAND will be booted with the 10.4 FIRM and signature checks patched (like Brickway). On O3DS the reboot patch is also applied.
- If your console has 9.0/9.2 on SysNAND, you can boot SysNAND with the 9.0 FIRM and patched signature checks. To do this hold L+R on boot. On O3DS, the reboot patch won't be applied. If your console (O3DS) is not on 9.x, it will be detected and it will just hang on a black screen.

I'd like to stress that none of this is my work. The O3DS offsets are from CakesFW, as well as the reboot patch code. The offset to detect the console, and to calculate the O3DS NAND CTR is from Decrypt9.

Download (source code is included): http://www95.zippyshare.com/v/WSjNdRJp/file.html

v2: Added checks to make ReiNand halt when using an encrypted (Cakes ones) firmware.bin, or a N3DS firmware on an O3DS and vice-versa, re-added splash screen (it shows for longer than the brief flash of the official build, and boot isn't delayed if the splash isn't on the SD card), the 10.4 FIRM is now used for N3DS.
v3: Newest changes from the official build, implemented the 10.4 FIRM for O3DS.
Whats new in v3?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
O3DS is different. Basically native firm reboots when you launch a game which requires 80 MB of RAM (smash bros, mh4 and maybe others). Of course this would reboot into sysnand FIRM and undo all changes, so you wouldn't be able to play those. So (Gateway I guess?) came up with a patch to have FIRM reload itself from the sdcard instead of nand (that's what the patched_firmware is used for, only on O3DS). So the firm reloads from that file (which has all the patches), and the game is launched. Sadly, this forces all FIRM reboots to do this, so even when FIRM tries to reboot to agb or twl firm, it tries to do that (and I guess it crashes as you're not booting 3ds software). You can disable the patch by holding A on boot (you lose 80 MB games support for that boot, but you're able to use GBA and DS/DSi stuff)
Oh hey it worked. Now the only issue I am dealing with is getting an error screen when I launch the flashcard .-.

Mr_Q

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Aurora Wright
Thank you for the mod.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work (not via Hombrew Launcher nor via ctrbootmgr). I think I have the correct firmware.bin but since I have no md5sum, I can't validate for sure.

Could you provide us the 10.4 N3DS firmware.bin MD5 we should use with your MOD?
Do you have any other clues why I get a black screen? SYSNAND 9.2 with EMUNAND 10.3.

Thank you very much.

can you PM me the link please?

The firmware.bin used with my n3ds (xl) that works has MD5 checksum: e193d5832332f72fdec1f7f51bb9c20f

Mr_Q

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As I said, it now uses 10.4 FIRM so you need to get the updated firmware.bin from the iso site :P

Maybe you can provide the exact search string or the user which posted it on that iso site? That helps people to find it.. I had a hard time getting it another way... Thank you either way :)
[EDIT]
Got it.. Thanks to @Supster131

Don't make the mistake which I made.. Looking for firmware(.bin) 10.4 as you won't find it that way.. For other people which also haven't found it or had difficulties:
- just look for the name of the developer without the space: AuroraWright on that site
- Or just the thread name 'Firmware for ReiNAND' on that same iso site :)

Last edited by Mr_Q,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just setup your MOD in my N3DS.
It's working wonderfully. :)

I was able to boot Four Swords Anniversary Edition without any issues and even my Blue Gateway card booted up just fine!
Thank you so much for your work!

Two last questions:
1) So if I grabbed the firmware.bin from your other topic in you-know-what-site, I will be able to update just fine in the System Settings, right?
2) One thing I didn't see mentioned in the OP, does N3DS allow for both AGB/TWL and also booting up games like Smash and Monster Hunter?

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) So if I grabbed the firmware.bin from your other topic in you-know-what-site, I will be able to update just fine in the System Settings, right?
2) One thing I didn't see mentioned in the OP, does N3DS allow for both AGB/TWL and also booting up games like Smash and Monster Hunter?
1. Yes, you can update to the latest version, it being 10.4.
2. Yes, there should be no problem.

Reactions: Mr_Q

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The firmware.bin for new 3ds is the same that the file from nintendo server, right?

Would I use the file downloaded from 3dnus, right? Anybody? No?

You can use 3DNUS to download the file (or your web browser, see the CakesFW thread/github repo), but you'd need to decrypt it using Cakes afterward. ReiNand only uses decrypted FIRMs.

Reactions: Ninoh-FOX

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I made a very small revision (just some minor code clean-up, and the hash in the FIRM is checked before booting, so now it halts when you use a firmware.bin you're not supposed to).

Reactions: laharl22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol