Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How is the region emulation supposed to work? I've installed 2 EUR .cia files on my US n3DS, with encrypted title key, using FBI 2.1.1 without any errors. I've created {titleid}.txt files in the /luma/locales/ folder ('EUR EN'). When I run it, I get asked for my PIN (which is strange as one of them is a kiddie game), but it runs. However, the manual gives me an error telling me to re-download it from the eShop (which of course won't work).

I tried searching for the /locale string but it can't find it in arm9loaderhax.bin. The Wiki is vague and says it helps "certain games" that need "a specific language set to run".

Am I missing something? Do I need a region-changed EmuNAND for 100% region-free?

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How is the region emulation supposed to work? I've installed 2 EUR .cia files on my US n3DS, with encrypted title key, using FBI 2.1.1 without any errors. I've created {titleid}.txt files in the /luma/locales/ folder ('EUR EN'). When I run it, I get asked for my PIN (which is strange as one of them is a kiddie game), but it runs. However, the manual gives me an error telling me to re-download it from the eShop (which of course won't work).

I tried searching for the /locale string but it can't find it in arm9loaderhax.bin. The Wiki is vague and says it helps "certain games" that need "a specific language set to run".

Am I missing something? Do I need a region-changed EmuNAND for 100% region-free?
I think that in this case you dont need region emulation. I can really explain to you how it work, but try without. And the manual problem isn't related imo.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Manuals work for .cia from the USA region, installed the same way. Nonetheless, I turned off the emulation option in Config, then tried running it again. Same thing.

I looked into this and the obvious give-away that it is region-related is the Parental Controls Software Rating requiring the PIN. I have this particular setting disabled, but my possible ratings are the US ones set by the ESRB (E / T / M / etc.). The EUR regions has different ratings set by PEGI (3, 7, 12, 16 etc.) and JPN uses the rating system by CERO.

I don't know why the Manual fails, might have to with why it fails on Gateway versions.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Ok so the problem with the instructions is because the cia you are using has not been converted to cia right. The person who created it never included the instructions in the cia build either live with no instructions or find another version of the cia. Plus remove the language plugin most games don't need it and that should also fix the parental code problem

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so the problem with the instructions is because the cia you are using has not been converted to cia right. The person who created it never included the instructions in the cia build either live with no instructions or find another version of the cia. Plus remove the language plugin most games don't need it and that should also fix the parental code problem

The CIA is built fine, because .cia USA versions built the exact same way have working manuals. EUR version does not. And as my previous post, I turned the option off and the issue remains. Plus I don't really care that much about the instructions, I'm just interested in the region-emulation. I'd prefer to have this emulated via the .txt method, but it should be 100%. The other options is creating region-changed EmuNANDs (luckily Luma3DS offers you an "updated SysNAND" for your own region, plus 2 EmuNANDs, one for EUR and one for JPN). But that's not as elegant as having 100% region-emulation.

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
found the problem because i cannot run NTR 3.4 or others versions with Luma3ds 5.3.1,i put all file in the right place(ntr.bin,firmware.bin..)but never changes,so i go into Luma3ds start menu(select)and unchecked some voices and found the guilty: "sysNAND is updated(a9lh-only)" uncheked that and my NTR cfw run like a charm(in emunand,not tested in sysnand still)at this point i can know that sysnand option was for?i'm ignorant i know,tnx :)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
found the problem because i cannot run NTR 3.4 or others versions with Luma3ds 5.3.1,i put all file in the right place(ntr.bin,firmware.bin..)but never changes,so i go into Luma3ds start menu(select)and unchecked some voices and found the guilty: "sysNAND is updated(a9lh-only)" uncheked that and my NTR cfw run like a charm(in emunand,not tested in sysnand still)at this point i can know that sysnand option was for?i'm ignorant i know,tnx :)

You check the sysnand is updated option if you're using updated sysnand mode[emoji14]

Since you're in emunand you don't use it

Reactions: AlucardjX

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You check the sysnand is updated option if you're using updated sysnand mode[emoji14]

Since you're in emunand you don't use it

that's good,i hope someone else find useful that thing!but in sysnand what do that option?is a sort of protection or what?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Autoboot SysNAND:on
SysNAND is updated (A9LH-only):on
It should not be an opition issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It seems that the logic of FIRM selection has been changed in the commit below.
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/commit/e651c3d9cc4878c59e0be554176234489931e9a5
source/firm.c

I guess that there might be a mistake.

SysNAND is updated (A9LH-only):on
if you use NTR on Emunand that options must be uncheked(off)for using it!found by myself right now!

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works here.
Just posting this again before the post gets completely buried since you said to report issues with gateway downgraded users. From page 529 of this thread.

cvskid
Using Luma3DS with a o3dsxl that was previously downgraded to 4.2 using gateway 3ds downgrader and recently restored a 9.2 sysnand backup from before i downgraded it to use menuhax/lesshax and ctrbootmanager9 along with Luma3DS and using the newest revision of luma3DS, version 5.3.1 non dev version. The o3dsxl freezes before it can get to the main menu for emunand to be able to do anything/fails to boot. Reverting back to 5.3 for now.

and

gunner007
Wanted to throw my hat in there as well. Runs fine on 2DS/N3DS, but the old 3DS downgraded via GW just black screens attempting to boot either sys/emu.

Edit: On 5.3.1 that is, reverting back to 5.3 has it working again.

Last edited by cvskid,

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Sorry if this is a noob question, could someone tell me if there is a way to use NTR on o3ds with updated sysnand? I presume it doesn't work because ntr doesn't work on the 10.4 FIRM but is there a way of using it using the firmware.bin? I always get a black screen when using the 9.0 firmware.bin on updated sysnand (probs cause they are different FIRMS) and I can't seem to be able to find a work around... I don't want to use it on my emunand because the game i want to debug is on my unlinked sysnand. Can someone help? Please & Thanks :)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a noob question, could someone tell me if there is a way to use NTR on o3ds with updated sysnand? I presume it doesn't work because ntr doesn't work on the 10.4 FIRM but is there a way of using it using the firmware.bin? I always get a black screen when using the 9.0 firmware.bin on updated sysnand (probs cause they are different FIRMS) and I can't seem to be able to find a work around... I don't want to use it on my emunand because the game i want to debug is on my unlinked sysnand. Can someone help? Please & Thanks :)
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade#installing

Reactions: Slattz

Blaze Uchiha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For cheats, get NTR CFW
For animated splashes, get BootAnim9

I have NTR but I can't find cheat plugins on an english language site and I don't know how to build them myself. My point is that if Luma is implementing all of NTR's feature into it's cfw (i.e. language emulation, n3ds cpu clock speeds), then why not implement cheats into it as well?

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just posting this again before the post gets completely buried since you said to report issues with gateway downgraded users. From page 529 of this thread.

cvskid
Using Luma3DS with a o3dsxl that was previously downgraded to 4.2 using gateway 3ds downgrader and recently restored a 9.2 sysnand backup from before i downgraded it to use menuhax/lesshax and ctrbootmanager9 along with Luma3DS and using the newest revision of luma3DS, version 5.3.1 non dev version. The o3dsxl freezes before it can get to the main menu for emunand to be able to do anything/fails to boot. Reverting back to 5.3 for now.

and

gunner007
Wanted to throw my hat in there as well. Runs fine on 2DS/N3DS, but the old 3DS downgraded via GW just black screens attempting to boot either sys/emu.

Edit: On 5.3.1 that is, reverting back to 5.3 has it working again.
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Lum...-downgraded-from-the-gateway-menu-in-the-past
Newly added.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to the latest commit, and the def_NAME execution doesn't work. So when I hold Start, it does nothing. Using Dec9 as the default, renaming it to say down_Dec9 shows that the default payload execution isn't working. In comparison, another 3DS of mine has 5.2 and default works there.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I updated to the latest commit, and the def_NAME execution doesn't work. So when I hold Start, it does nothing. Using Dec9 as the default, renaming it to say down_Dec9 shows that the default payload execution isn't working. In comparison, another 3DS of mine has 5.2 and default works there.
"Remade the chainloader to only try to load the right payload for the pressed button, got rid of the default payload (start now boots "start_NAME.bin"), sel_NAME is now select_NAME as there is no more SFN limitations anymore"

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
"Remade the chainloader to only try to load the right payload for the pressed button, got rid of the default payload (start now boots "start_NAME.bin"), sel_NAME is now select_NAME as there is no more SFN limitations anymore"
You'd think people who updated to newer commits would actually read the changelogs :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...