Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

kellyvieira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys! It's been a while (read a few years) since I was last on here. I've been playing my Old 3DS fine with my blue Gateway card and the Red cart, but I wanted to update to play newer 3DS games like Mayora's Mask (it's been a long while!). I updated my red card to 3.7 and I updated my emuNAND and I'm playing it all fine.

But I read through the installation guide for the 3.7 Gateway upgrade and it mentioned menuhax to get straight into Gateway mode on startup. That sounds incredible and I want in! Unfortunately there's a step I can't follow. Step 3 (Entering the Gateway Menu in http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole_files/gateway/GW-v3-7-1.pdf) tells me to change my theme but my sysNAND is on 4.xx and doesn't have themes. I thought maybe it would work if I installed it on my emuNAND (it does say in the first section that I don't need to change my sysNAND so I thought maybe that would work ...) and it installed fine but ... well, the 3DS doesn't launch in emuNAND so why would menuhax?

TL;DR: Anyway, long story short, is there anyway I can install menuhax on my dated 3DS's sysNAND? If not, is there another workaround to achieving the same thing? Using the profile exploit every time isn't all that terrible but if I can shorter that process, I'd love it!

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol, it's been a while indeed if you think menuhax is incredible for being able to boot Gateway mode at startup. Now the standard for that is a9lh :P

Magic link: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

You don't necessarily need everything. Read some pages there (you can see all the pages on the right side by clicking "Pages"), come back if you have questions before doing anything, etc. Because this guide can tell you how to install menuhax or a9lh but if you only want menuhax and not a9lh, there is no need to follow it to the end.

Basically, the steps are:
- update to 9.2
- install menuhax
And then, once there, you can do more things to get a9lh:
- make a lot of backups
- downgrade emuNAND
- use magic software
- wait (yeah, that's a step, because it lasts for a long time)
- use magic software again
- restore backups (but if your plan is to keep using your Gateway, well that's why I said you should come back once you decided what to do because the guide doesn't plan the same and will restore backups that don't necessarily help you)

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's sysNAND you want on 9.2. And check the link I gave you, it's supposed to give you ways to get to 9.2.
Click "Pages" on the right side, then click "9.2.0 Update" and you land here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
Then choose something that corresponds to your case, so something on the 4.X.X line. You can probably use any of them since you have a DS cart (the GW blue card), which is needed for the "MSET" exploit.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's been ... a while.

Ok, so how do I update to 9.2? Is that sysNAND or emuNAND? I don't have any games with that update on them, would I need to buy one or is there an online/hack way to get there?

Since you have gateway, its actually pretty simple.

You will need these files:

PlaiSysUpdater.cia
FBI.zip
9.2 update for your system and region, check here. Make sure you download the right package for your hardware (O3DS/2DS vs N3DS) and your region (E/J/U).
(You can check the veracity of the update package against a SHA256 hash located here.)
  1. First, update your gateway launcher to the latest beta (4.1b) version, update the red card too if needed. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH 3.7.1 OR LOWER!
  2. Place the 9.2 update files in a folder named "updates" on the root of your sd card. (should be "sd:\updates\" and it should have ~120 .cia files in it when you are done.
  3. Place FBI.3ds from the FBI.zip file on the gateway SD card.
  4. Launch into Gateway Sysnand mode, and use FBI.3ds to install PlaiSysUpdater.cia to your sysnand.
  5. While still in Gateway Sysnand mode, launch PlaiSysUpdater and choose to update your system.
  6. Cross your fingers and wait.
Barring any strangeness regarding your system, you should end up on a stock 9.2.0-20 firmware for your region, and from there you can start with Part 4 of the A9LH guide.

I cannot stress enough, though, that you MUST NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE SYSNAND WITH GATEWAY 3.7.1 OR LOWER! Doing so WILL brick your system. the 4.x beta removes the indirect FIRM protection that existed in the older versions, allowing you to update your sysnand properly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's sysNAND you want on 9.2. And check the link I gave you, it's supposed to give you ways to get to 9.2.
Click "Pages" on the right side, then click "9.2.0 Update" and you land here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
Then choose something that corresponds to your case, so something on the 4.X.X line. You can probably use any of them since you have a DS cart (the GW blue card), which is needed for the "MSET" exploit.

You could also probably do this, provided you reached 4.x by updating over the internet. If you have low enough NUP version (anything below -4, and even -4 is troublesome at times) you will run into problems.

A7MAD

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I am already on 9.2 sysnand and the newest emunand ... so how can I install ah9l, is it something in the newest update that will just work on it own? or I have to install it. From what I got of the manual it seems I need to redo gateway all together?

szczetyk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,
I tried to prepare myself to update to "fast boot" according to latest GW manual...
My setup is:
New3ds on 9.1.0.20J which "way" I should follow?
Manual -> "If You Are NOT On 9.2.0-20" which I think means greater than 9.2.0 I believe, not earlier like mine... - Am i wrong?

The next thing is I have region changed (long time ago) my emuNand to 10.4.0-29E - Can I format it (which is recomended) without breaking it somehow?

Should I take special steps/precausions in this configuration (my setup) and can I follow "all the way" GW method to update from current menuhax to A9LH?

Thank You for help

Last edited by szczetyk,
D

Deleted-379826

Hello,
I tried to prepare myself to update to "fast boot" according to latest GW manual...
My setup is:
New3ds on 9.1.0.20J which "way" I should follow?
Manual -> "If You Are NOT On 9.2.0-20" which I think is greater than 9.2.0 I believe, not earlier like mine... - Am i wrong?

The next thing is I have region changed (long time ago) my emuNand to 10.4.0-29E - Can I format it (which is recomended) without breaking it somehow?

Should I take special steps/precausions in this configuration (my setup) and can I follow "all the way" GW method to update from current menuhax to A9LH?

Thank You for help
Your firmware is completely fine! But your emunand cannot be like that. IT MUST be a regular un touched emunand OR YOU WILL BRICK DURING THE SETUP. Gateways tools are still not the greatest so you have a pretty good chance of bricking. I recommend following this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki step by step to use open source ways. Then after you are done with this guide just follow this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/ :P

szczetyk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Your firmware is completely fine! But your emunand cannot be like that. IT MUST be a regular un touched emunand OR YOU WILL BRICK DURING THE SETUP. Gateways tools are still not the greatest so you have a pretty good chance of bricking. I recommend following this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki step by step to use open source ways. Then after you are done with this guide just follow this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/ :P

Thank U for fast reply - so 9.1J is ok to downgrade I do not need to update it to 9.2J (btw I do not have any game except japan cubic ninja) ?

I do not remember what are the greatest benefits of luma3ds..
I like GW for copy and paste *.3ds roms on microsd and cheat memu sometimes is usefull ... no need to "install" them for soo long from cia.

D

Deleted-379826

Thank U for fast reply - so 9.1J is ok to downgrade I do not need to update it to 9.2J (btw I do not have any game except japan cubic ninja) ?

I do not remember what are the greatest benefits of luma3ds..
I like GW for copy and paste *.3ds roms on microsd and cheat memu sometimes is usefull ... no need to "install" them for soo long from cia.
Yes 9.1J is fine and do not worry you can use your gateway plus have those special features by following BOTH guides!

lovelypotato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi,

I'm currently on gateway 3.4.1 with latest EMUNAND. Sorry if this is a noob question, but if I were to upgrade it to fastboot, will all my game saves getting wiped without backing up (I heard saves file is linked with NNID) ?

Reason I'm being concern:
  • Pick the format emuNAND option from the menu
where my NNID might be wiped off from my 3DS.

Note: I've checked and found that currently my SYSNAND does not link with any NNID while my EMUNAND DOES link with my NNID

Note 2: I'm playing MHGen online with my friends so I do not wish my saves file to go missing

Last edited by lovelypotato,

szczetyk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am in part 2 of Plailect Guide - downgrading to 9.2
I thought about it rather as update to 9.2 ;) because I am on 9.1...
In begining of this part (giude) was that "This version of PlaiSysUpdater (which is compatible with >9.2.0 systems).." it started and went ok on my 9.1J though....
Everything went ok (restarted automatically) - but in sysnand options i have still 9.1.0.20J...

AlienStreet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK guys
I'm out of the loop since 2 years
ELI5 please

I Have:
> o3ds 9.2
> a not so updated emuNAND
> gateway 3.4.1
> the annyoing booting system by website "go gateway dot com.."

What I want

> a better way (not the best like ARM9...) to boot into gateway mode
> but it should be easy
> it should be safe

What I don't want

>Risky and long ass installatons

Thanks to everyone

ALSO: People on the internet keep hating on Gateway and not being helpful. I understand criticisms on that card but for god sake I just want to know how can I improve it

Last edited by AlienStreet,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just use menuhax. Follow this part of the guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)
Except that instead of using Type 1, use Type 2 (to autoboot).

Then, all you need to do is either use the GW.3dsx (that you find in Gateway's zip) as your boot.3dsx at the root of your SD card or use a boot manager like CtrBootManager (recommended for better boot rates) to boot that GW.3dsx.

Reactions: AlienStreet

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 3.7.1 and tried to use DS cartridge in Gateway Mode since I saw 3ds cartridges were working. It comes up to black screen. Is there something I can do to make it work without using sysnand?

D

Deleted User

matty942

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, ive been out of the loop for awhile and since the new pokemon is coming out i went to set up my gw card again. i went to the site and installed the fastboot no problems, but since then ive seen that people say that its bad and to just use a9lh or something because gateway didnt do something about the security. is there a way to uninstall the fastboot and get that a9lh? i have my 4.5 nand back up if that helps

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, ive been out of the loop for awhile and since the new pokemon is coming out i went to set up my gw card again. i went to the site and installed the fastboot no problems, but since then ive seen that people say that its bad and to just use a9lh or something because gateway didnt do something about the security. is there a way to uninstall the fastboot and get that a9lh? i have my 4.5 nand back up if that helps
Well, if you'd just like to use your Gateway, and don't care about anything else, then don't worry about it, keep your fastboot. If you've got it installed already, then you've basically overxome everyone's claimant "security issues".

However, if at any time you would like to switch, restore your sysNAND dump from before the fastboot installation. Once you've done that, follow this guide: github.com/Plailect/Guide/Wiki

Keep in mind you of not have to do this if you're fine with your current setup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Blah. 3 of my NSO + Expansion Pass family group members are leaving. Found one replacement so far but still need to fill two empty slots. I have 9 days or i eat the extra cost myself. But with a full group $11 for a year is a good deal. imo
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    new ghostbusters was decent, not as good as the previous one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye,
    theres a new ghostbusters?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: