Hacking Latest 3DS update replaced FBI?

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you keep an emunand in B9S: Yes.
Can you transfer emunand to sysnand and keep everything: Yes.
The easy way to go from Emu -> Sys is to make an emunand backup and restore it over sysnand.

Again, I want to keep my emunand and sysnand separate. I don't need to be pressured into doing the opposite.

It's a painless process that only takes a few minutes. You can keep the same setup, emuNAND and all, just with updated software

Thanks for telling me what I want to know.. I guess that's a project for tomorrow and hopefully I don't mess it up somehow. I really try not to touch this stuff unless I need to.

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just not sure why you would want to do this. All it does in the end is wear your sd card out faster and take up a gigabyte of SD card space. Plus, you need your SD card in to actually boot the emunand.

My SD card is never not in my 3DS. Why would I ever take it out..? I need it in anyway to run games that require patches for online such as pokemon as it is. Where do you think all your apps are stored too? The SD card.
And if it dies, oh well. I can buy another. I keep backups.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
My SD card is never not in my 3DS. Why would I ever take it out..? I need it in anyway to run games that require patches for online such as pokemon as it is. Where do you think all your apps are stored too? The SD card.
Sorry for being kind of harsh, but you're basically saying "I'm afraid to mess up and I'm willing to sacrifice my SD card and my time making backups to not mess up".

Dude. It's just like 5 minutes. Faster boot times. More space. Less need to make SD card backups. Better SD card life expectancy.

There's no use on having an EmuNAND for the end user nowadays.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
emuNANDs actually do introduce their own risks. SD cards were not meant for the constant read/write that a NAND was made for and an emuNAND drastically cuts the lifespan of the SD card. So you run a greater risk of your SD card dying randomly and losing everything, unless you back up constantly.
I am not saying that you have to swap your emuNAND to your sysNAND, but explaining that there's a far greater risk involved with an emuNAND.
Plus B9S is installed so deep into the sysNAND, that it's nearly impossible to screw up your system to an unrecoverable state. Trust me, one of my jobs as a tester for devs is trying make my system get to that unrecoverable state. There's no way an average user is going to get to an unrecoverable state, unless they go above and beyond abusing the system.

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being kind of harsh, but you're basically saying "I'm afraid to mess up and I'm willing to sacrifice my SD card and my time making backups to not mess up".

Dude. It's just like 5 minutes. Faster boot times. More space. Less need to make SD card backups. Better SD card life expectancy.

There's no use on having an EmuNAND for the end user nowadays.

I can do what I want.. I don't know why that's so hard to respect. You act like a new SD card would break the bank if I ever actually needed it. And I hardly need more space. I prefer physical games when I can get them.

That's my problem with here. I come here asking how to do one thing and get people trying to change everything about everything. Just let it be. And um.. if I overwrite my sysnand with my emunand, I lose my GBA games I have installed. So no. But even if I wouldn't, still no.

And it's not like this is a thing I didn't know. Way back with Wii homebrew I was told it poses a risk to the SD card. But hey, that SD card still works, and this SD card still works, so.. I'll take my chances.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
I can do what I want.. I don't know why that's so hard to respect. You act like a new SD card would break the bank if I ever actually needed it. And I hardly need more space. I prefer physical games when I can get them.

That's my problem with here. I come here asking how to do one thing and get people trying to change everything about everything. Just let it be. And um.. if I overwrite my sysnand with my emunand, I lose my GBA games I have installed. So no. But even if I wouldn't, still no.

And it's not like this is a thing I didn't know. Way back with Wii homebrew I was told it poses a risk to the SD card. But hey, that SD card still works, and this SD card still works, so.. I'll take my chances.
You're right when you say that I (we) shouldn't be trying to convince a complete stranger about doing something, but a doctor worth its salt wouldn't let its patients do whatever they want.

Your main question was already answered, this is just a FYI. Go ahead using EmuNAND as you please.

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay.. this is confusing me too much. "Make it possible to still boot using an external FIRM in case the CTRNAND FIRM can't be read" (from the luma release page). Do I need CTRNAND FIRM to use bs9?
Looking at this guide, but I had no intention of doing everything on here since I'm not going to use Luma Updater and stuff like that. I'd much rather manually update than have questionable traffic show up over wifi that nintendo could ban me over. But do I really need CTRNAND?

(edit: I guess I should also ask how to keep emunand with this as well.. because it doesn't mention it)

@Lilith Valentine I installed bs9 and now have godmode9.. but um.. that doesn't seem to have the option like hourglass9 did to inject health and safety.. so none of this actually helped me get FBI back. (how do I get FBI back?)

Last edited by LunarXDiviner,

ladygugu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay.. this is confusing me too much. "Make it possible to still boot using an external FIRM in case the CTRNAND FIRM can't be read" (from the luma release page). Do I need CTRNAND FIRM to use bs9?
Looking at this guide, but I had no intention of doing everything on here since I'm not going to use Luma Updater and stuff like that. I'd much rather manually update than have questionable traffic show up over wifi that nintendo could ban me over. But do I really need CTRNAND?

(edit: I guess I should also ask how to keep emunand with this as well.. because it doesn't mention it)

If you boot your 3ds with the sdcard out, it cant boot because the boot.firm is not found. CTRNAND is like internal storage so your 3ds can still boot with the sdcard out but then you are not in emunand, emunand is on your sdcard. You said earlier you never take out the sdcard and boot the 3ds. No you don't need it for b9s.

Emunand stays there. Open the Lumaconfig (Hold select on powering on the 3ds) and select what emunand is to default boot. You update only the entrypoint everything else is untouched if im not wrong.

Last edited by ladygugu,

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ladygugu Yeah, it seems to have worked. I was afraid to mess anything up, but it's all as it was before.
Only problem is.. none of this solved my initial problem. I still don't have FBI anymore, and it looks like godmode9 has no H&S inject option.. so how do I get FBI back?

ladygugu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@ladygugu Yeah, it seems to have worked. I was afraid to mess anything up, but it's all as it was before.
Only problem is.. none of this solved my initial problem. I still don't have FBI anymore, and it looks like godmode9 has no H&S inject option.. so how do I get FBI back?

Download fbi.3dsx rename it to boot.3dsx and copy it to the root of your sdcard. Open the Health&Safety app, Then press L+Down+Select, Miscellaneous options > Switch the hb. title to the current app, close H&S, and reopen it. It boots a boot.3dsx and thats FBI in your case.

Or you can make it the homebrew launcher and put FBI in the 3ds folder and launch it that way your choice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all my fellow homies. Damn, how did I miss this thread? It seems you guys had a handful.

@LunarXDiviner, when you updated your EmuNAND to firmware 11.8.0-41E, your Health & Safety was updated alongside with a new version. Any *.cia injection you had in it was overwritten or removed with that fresh install.

GodMode9 does have a H&S injection option.
Before switching over to boot9strap, you should make a back up of your EmuNAND just in case anything goes wrong. You can directly dump it with 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator or GodMode9.

Edit - Opps. You're an American. Here's the English version.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You should really move your EmuNAND to SysNAND, it will only give you benefits. If you're worried about bricks, you don't need to, because even if you break something in the NAND somehow, you'd be still able to boot into GM9 and fix ot from there

LunarXDiviner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should really move your EmuNAND to SysNAND, it will only give you benefits. If you're worried about bricks, you don't need to, because even if you break something in the NAND somehow, you'd be still able to boot into GM9 and fix ot from there

I don't want to. I like my setup as it is, and it would require me to reinstall the GBA cias I have on sysnand.

And um, on the other subject, the guide that was linked for gm9 is in another language. Had to use translator, but it seems to have worked. Finally have FBI back, thanks.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't want to. I like my setup as it is, and it would require me to reinstall the GBA cias I have on sysnand.

And um, on the other subject, the guide that was linked for gm9 is in another language. Had to use translator, but it seems to have worked. Finally have FBI back, thanks.
Well I mean it's as easy as booting in GM9 and make a CIA of them, but I certainly can't force you to. Just keep in mind that everyone recommends foregoing emuNAND and just use sysnand

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I mistaken @ladygugu's nationality for yours. It was in French lol. There's a drop down menu for other languages in the top right corner of that website.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no need to go through the trouble of installing bs9 when what I have already does everything I need it to.

And you have the risk of losing that with any future update. And you risk losing Luma support. And you get less stability. And features. And safety options. Did I mention the risk of losing what you have with a future update? It takes 10 minutes to update to b9s and you only stand to gain from it. Everything from a9lh can be imported to the new setup.

Last edited by ArtemisM,

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And you have the risk of losing that with any future update. And you risk losing Luma support. And you get less stability. And features. And safety options. Did I mention the risk of losing what you have with a future update? It takes 10 minutes to update to b9s and you only stand to gain from it. Everything from a9lh can be imported to the new setup.
Whata wrong with you guys?
He very clearly stated that he is not interested and doesn't want to move to sysNAND.
He is perfectly OK with replacing his SD card ever so often and want to keep it as it is.
He won't ever boot without an SD inserted and after some arguing understood that b9s is superior as it is more recent.
The chance of another update and the workload with H&S so smal its nonsense to force him to either move to sysNAND or use hbl.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whata wrong with you guys?
He very clearly stated that he is not interested and doesn't want to move to sysNAND.
He is perfectly OK with replacing his SD card ever so often and want to keep it as it is.
He won't ever boot without an SD inserted and after some arguing understood that b9s is superior as it is more recent.
The chance of another update and the workload with H&S so smal its nonsense to force him to either move to sysNAND or use hbl.
Yes, they can replace an SD card, but that still comes with the risk of losing all of their data when it does fail. Having sysNAND only greatly reduces wear on the SD card. As well there's just no point to having an emuNAND these days. emuNANDs were used to protect hacks from updates and protect the system from possibly breaking from the hacks. Both are no longer an issue thanks CFW having proper protection and tools like NTRBoot. People suggest users move away from these older setups because there's no reason to continue to use them and they aren't safer by doing so.
Also Nintendo has a long history of repeating themselves, so another H&S update won't be out of character for them

Last edited by The Catboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...