• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 437,699
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankfort42

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacuis said:
One cannot choose their sexuality nor gender identity, but I am not surprised you would claim otherwise. Someone who says "nothing you say or do will change my mind" is someone who is intellectually dishonest and doesn't care about truth.

A Liberal trying to explain honesty to me. That's fresh. No, I just refuse to jump down the Liberal created rabbit hole that is critical gender theory as it's been created by your all so tolerant and lovable side to create division and unleash perversion into main stream (and that includes brain washing children). I refuse to go along with your crap. Heh, you can lump me in with your side saying "The science is settled", as even though the "science is never settled" my mind is made up about the issue. I have no problem with anyone due to who or what they have sex with or identify as I just personally don't fucking want to hear about it. I also don't want to see people going around slandering others and telling them they have to think a certain way when the entire issue is still in the "theory" stage. So you can go back and label me this or that or call me (insert word here) + phobic, but none of your attempts to control me or what I think will work. I'm sure if someone came to you and told you global warming is fake you'd have a similar response so don't go try to pretend you're holier than though when you shit stinks just as much as mine does.

Oh, by the way, lots of people change genders or who/what they are attracted to all of the time. You'd figure it you were born a certain way that you wouldn't be able to control it or crisscross between one category to another, but many do, so your theory has a major hole in it.

Plasmaster09 said:

So much for peace, love, unity, tolerance and understanding. What a load of shit. I've said all I needed to say to you. You're attitude isn't going to get you far in life and I won't bother wasting my time replying to someone as moronic as you any longer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow, @Frankfort42 made a gbatemp account just to comment on this topic... Maybe it's our friend Tabzer or Shamzie...??

Anyways, going forward things will only get better... Trump almost out!

This topic is what made me create an account, specifically to point out that the BLM riots were much worse then the one on the 6th. I had been lurking since I used resources here to hack my 3DS using Ninjahax. So whenever that method was popular is when I started coming to this site. I'm also not solely posting in this thread either. Feel free to read my other posts in my history. I just don't have hours on end like others to do camp here and converse so I'm mostly limited to commenting a little bit during night time.

Last edited by Frankfort42,
Reactions: UltraSUPRA

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Liberal trying to explain honesty to me. That's fresh. No, I just refuse to jump down the Liberal created rabbit hole that is critical gender theory as it's been created by your all so tolerant and lovable side to create division and unleash perversion into main stream (and that includes brain washing children). I refuse to go along with your crap. Heh, you can lump me in with your side saying "The science is settled", as even though the "science is never settled" my mind is made up about the issue. I have no problem with anyone due to who or what they have sex with or identify as I just personally don't fucking want to hear about it. I also don't want to see people going around slandering others and telling them they have to think a certain way when the entire issue is still in the "theory" stage. So you can go back and label me this or that or call me (insert word here) + phobic, but none of your attempts to control me or what I think will work. I'm sure if someone came to you and told you global warming is fake you'd have a similar response so don't go try to pretend you're holier than though when you shit stinks just as much as mine does.

Oh, by the way, lots of people change genders or who/what they are attracted to all of the time. You'd figure it you were born a certain way that you wouldn't be able to control it or crisscross between one category to another, but many do, so your theory has a major hole in it.

So much for peace, love, unity, tolerance and understanding. What a load of shit. I've said all I needed to say to you. You're attitude isn't going to get you far in life and I won't bother wasting my time replying to someone as moronic as you any longer.

This topic is what made me create an account, specifically to point out that the BLM riots were much worse then the one on the 6th. I had been lurking since I used resources here to hack my 3DS using Ninjahax. So whenever that method was popular is when I started coming to this site. I'm also not solely posting in this thread either. Feel free to read my other posts in my history. I just don't have hours on end like others to do camp here and converse so I'm mostly limited to commenting a little bit during night time.
You're the one who seems to be inappropriately focused on other people's sexualities and gender identities. For someone who doesn't want to hear about LGBT people, you sure do have a lot to say about them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A Liberal trying to explain honesty to me. That's fresh.
You're right, it's pointless for anyone to try. Like morality or common sense, I'm sure it's a completely foreign concept to you that you'll never be capable of grasping. All we can do for individuals beyond saving (such as yourself), is wait for you to end up dead from COVID or in jail after you attempt a terrorist attack in the name of your next cult leader. Social Darwinism to the rescue.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're the one who seems to be inappropriately focused on other people's sexualities and gender identities. For someone who doesn't want to hear about LGBT people, you sure do have a lot to say about them.
And he's also too closed- and/or small-minded to realize that experimentation and gender identity self-questioning, as well as pansexuality, gender fluid and all the other perfectly valid and justifiable sexualities and gender identities that fall in that vast cavern of "neither-or" he seems not to grasp!
Ah, whatever. Besides, his tenuous claims to have spent a few years on GBATemp (to paraphrase a little, "since Ninjahax") seem awfully sketchy since someone with that kind of vague online pseudo-tenure would presumably have the guts or popularity to be willing to say this kinda BS on their main account instead of hiding behind a week-old burner.

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hypothesis vs. Theory: The Difference Explained | Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)

This is Middle School-level science, and yet you are still confusing the terms "theory" and "hypothesis". A theory, by definition, is supported by large bodies of evidence. It is not a "law", but it has enough evidence to assume that the hypothesis presented is true. Things like Evolution, the Big Bang, and Climate Change are theories.

Also, "unleash perversion unto children"? Get your QAnon ass out of here, nobody wants to hear that conspiracy garbage.

Believe it or not, but humans don't always know everything about themselves. Some people may feel confused about their orientation, so this isn't some, "libtard pwned" moment or whatever you're trying to frame it as.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, @Frankfort42 made a gbatemp account just to comment on this topic... Maybe it's our friend Tabzer or Shamzie...??

Probably not Shamzie, considering this deluded digital-newborn has been active on this at the same time IIRC. (Then again, if they're one and the same and he's been talking to himself to bolster his argument or just swooping in to reinforce himself, I wouldn't be all that surprised.)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Human-caused climate change is indeed a problem. Humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth. Please educate yourself.
Don't twist what I said, you have the ability to read (although it often doesn't show). Anthropogenic climate change is real, however carbon emission limitations, carbon credits and other assorted nonsense are not the solution. How you've gathered that I don't think it's real from my post is beyond me, but then again, who am I to question your reading comprehension. The solution to the carbon footprint issue must necessarily be technological, and we will not arrive at it by stifling industry. Government regulations do not effectively reduce the carbon footprint - technological progress does. Government decree does not magically generate low/no emissions vehicles, car manufacturers do. Not because it saves the planet, mind you, but because efficiency sells. Not that it even matters since consumer vehicles don't even generate that much CO2 - giant transport freighters do. Just 16 cargo ships produce as much pollution as *all of the cars in the world put together* because the heavy oil fuel they use isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

We could all stop driving tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference, pollution is, to a huge extent, a logistical issue. Just phasing out some of the old ships in favour of ones equipped with nuclear marine propulsion would be orders of magnitude more effective than anything we can do on land.

But of course most people wouldn't know that because most people don't know what they're talking about. So y'know, hang up your keys and ride a bike to work. You totally made a difference.

Reactions: gamefan5

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Human-caused climate change is indeed a problem. Humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth. Please educate yourself.
I don't know if you know this, but...the human body converts air into carbon dioxide, and breathes it out.

Reactions: CORE

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

This is an insult to those long-time members. Regardless of their political affliations. Why? Because the burner is a throwaway from a user that lived and died for all of five seconds on these same political hot takes, saying they were quitting the website after their stuff was deleted.

Is it something in the water? Do the admins secretly inject all registered users with highly addictive drugs that make them come back over and over even after being banned or "quitting" time and time again? Or is there really enough time in the day to play destroyer of lib mad gay agenda: the political warrior on a gaming website?

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if you know this, but...the human body converts air into carbon dioxide, and breathes it out.
Holy shit! Why didn't scientists think of that? It's almost like increasing CO2 emissions within the atmosphere can lead to extreme weather effects (such as droughts), lung cancer, asthma, strokes, an increase in surface temperature, and a loss of land and potential housing.

You just don't quit with the bad takes, do you?

Reactions: ghjfdtg and Chary

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit! Why didn't scientists think of that? It's almost like increasing CO2 emissions within the atmosphere can lead to extreme weather effects (such as droughts), lung cancer, asthma, strokes, an increase in surface temperature, and a loss of land and potential housing.

You just don't quit with the bad takes, do you?
I didn't know that breathing can cause the apocalypse.

Reactions: CORE

Frankfort42

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacuis said:

You're the one who seems to be inappropriately focused on Trump and Conservatives and what they do. For someone who hates Trump, Conservatives and doesn't want anything to do with them, you sure do have a lot to say about them.

UltraSUPRA said:
I didn't know that breathing can cause the apocalypse.

First of all carbon emissions aren't the sole cause of why the climate changes nor is the sole contributing factor to global warming. There's plenty of other things that contribute to the weather and the climate, some of which we as a species have control over and some things that we don't. I believe @Foxi4 was onto something regarding the fact that the world came to a screeching halt and our emissions didn't really drop that much. The other thing about carbon is the more we produce the more the things that consume carbon, such as plants start to do so at a greater rate. Mother nature compensates for the increased emissions.

The weather changes and so does the climate, there's no denying those facts, but to assume a bunch of morons who run at the slightest bit of trouble, such as the members of Congress, can fix the climate with political posturing then you're only following a bunch of fools. I was like others on this forum when I was growing up. I was gullible enough to believe all of the doomsday predictions we learned about in public schools, but not a single one of them has come to pass. After being lied to for decades one tends to stop listening to the liars.

arcanine

Trophies
XP
Country
Trump was a necessary and welcome disruption to the DC monolith. If you're still operating under the mistaken belief that Congress cares one iota about the ice caps, you've learned absolutely nothing over the course of the last decade.
I don't believe that anybody in politics cares about anything other than themselves, and trump is the archetype of that personality.

The problem of climate change (which isn't really a problem - the climate changes all the time, it's more a question of adaptation than it is about turning back the clock) needs a technological solution, not gradually stifling industry under a mountain of unnecessary and often conflicting regulations.
The cause isn't the issue. The fact is that the climate is changing and we are seeing species driven to extinction. Of course human emissions contribute to that. Of course humans burning down the rainforest contributes to that. Of course hunting animals for fun contributes to that. Of course mass farming contributes to that. Of course pollution contributes to that. Of course overfishing contributes to that. Of course millions of acres of concrete contribute to that. Of course fracking contributes to that. Of course nuclear waste contributes to that. You say that a technological solution is required. Well, where is it? Where are all the solar panels? The wind farms? The hydro generators? The geothermal generators? Why are governments still taking billions in lobbying donations from oil companies and fast "food" manufacturers in exchange for the overlooking of their obviously damaging behaviour? Where is the commitment to strip these organisations of their assets and use their money to do what needs to be done? We can solve the climate and energy crisis IMMEDIATELY. The only reason why it isn't happening is because politicians like trump are getting rich and fat off the profits of the oil industry.

the recent pandemic has shown more than anything that restricting the freedoms of the general population has negligible effect on the environmental impact of fossil fuels.
So it's not enough. I agree. More restriction on the use of fossil fuel is required, not less.

You might think that this is great news - worldwide greenhouse gas emissions have decreased by 7%. Once you're done digesting that, read it again. Lockdowns and putting large swathes of the economy completely on hold for nearly a year straight has decreased emissions by a measly 7%.
You might think that 7% in a year is insignificant. I don't. It shows we can reduce it. We have to keep doing that.

Demand for oil went down so low that for a brief moment its value was in the negative, to very little effect in the long-term. 93% of emissions were completely unaffected by the entire world metaphorically stopping in its tracks and effectively triggering a recession without actually calling it a recession. Maybe we're looking at the wrong kinds of restrictions when we're designing environmental regulations if keeping people in-doors as much as humanly possible and forcing them into working from home doesn't even make a dent.
I don't believe that this is the right approach to reducing dependence on fossil fuels because human activities still depend on them regardless of where they are carried out.

You're correct, I wanted someone like Trump. I wanted him to weasel his way out of ridiculous and ineffective agreements like the Paris Accord, which in itself is non-binding and puts undue pressure on the industry.
Don't you think that industry should be under pressure to account for its actions and the environmental damage it causes?

I did want him to renegotiate the NAFTA deal and prevent further off-shoring of key industries. I did want him to lower the tax burden on the average Joe and the rich Joe alike.
So you want your cake and eat it too. Better trade deals, lower tax, and better quality of life. It isn't going to happen. It's bullshit.

I'm perfectly satisfied with his policies, regardless of how he went about enacting them. I'm interested in results, not how "presidential" the president is.
Ok so you don't care about the moral implications of a person's behaviour as long as their actions work out in your own interests.

If you think that's somehow heartless, or that I don't feel compassion for the planet, or if you have some other criticism in mind, I'll take it in strides because I probably don't care about any of those things nearly as much as I cared about lowering unemployment, increasing the GDP and lowering the tax burden,
Prioritising personal and human goals. That's a fucked up distortion of empathy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't believe that anybody in politics cares about anything other than themselves, and trump is the archetype of that personality.

The cause isn't the issue. The fact is that the climate is changing and we are seeing species driven to extinction. Of course human emissions contribute to that. Of course humans burning down the rainforest contributes to that. Of course hunting animals for fun contributes to that. Of course mass farming contributes to that. Of course pollution contributes to that. Of course overfishing contributes to that. Of course millions of acres of concrete contribute to that. Of course fracking contributes to that. Of course nuclear waste contributes to that. You say that a technological solution is required. Well, where is it? Where are all the solar panels? The wind farms? The hydro generators? The geothermal generators? Why are governments still taking billions in lobbying donations from oil companies and fast "food" manufacturers in exchange for the overlooking of their obviously damaging behaviour? Where is the commitment to strip these organisations of their assets and use their money to do what needs to be done? We can solve the climate and energy crisis IMMEDIATELY. The only reason why it isn't happening is because politicians like trump are getting rich and fat off the profits of the oil industry.

So it's not enough. I agree. More restriction on the use of fossil fuel is required, not less.

You might think that 7% in a year is insignificant. I don't. It shows we can reduce it. We have to keep doing that.

I don't believe that this is the right approach to reducing dependence on fossil fuels because human activities still depend on them regardless of where they are carried out.

Don't you think that industry should be under pressure to account for its actions and the environmental damage it causes?

So you want your cake and eat it too. Better trade deals, lower tax, and better quality of life. It isn't going to happen. It's bullshit.

Ok so you don't care about the moral implications of a person's behaviour as long as their actions work out in your own interests.

Prioritising personal and human goals. That's a fucked up distortion of empathy.
I absolutely empathise with people more than I empathise with ice. I can't imagine it being any other way.

The reason why you don't see mountains of solar panels or windmills is because they're a supplementary source of energy - they do not and cannot provide instant energy release like combustion or splitting the atom does. They're inefficient, subject to weather and cannot replace conventional energy sources on the grid as it would completely compromise energy security. All renewables we currently use require energy storage - this means towers of lithium until we invent a better energy storage technology (glass is becoming a very promising candidate, as well as carbon). Lithium means mining and mining means pollution - you're replacing one extracted resource for another, with arguably just as big of an environmental impact due to how it's mined. Hydrogen would be a great fossil fuel replacement if only it didn't require massive amounts of energy to generate in the first place, making it a feedback loop if I've ever seen one. Natural gas also greatly reduces emissions and is objectively a better fuel, but since we have tree huggers protesting that, we're back to square one.

When Germany accelerated its nuclear phase out in 2011, they've reversed decades of green energy impact. SO2 and particulate matter concentration have skyrocketed, leading to approx. 1100 more deaths annually, all because people who are stupid were afraid of the atom after Fukushima. Did pencil pushers do that, or did the engineers who actually know what they're doing? I have a feeling it was the pencil pushers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottc...s-but-there-is-little-appetite-for-a-rethink/

I'm actually heavily invested in green energy - not on a personal, but on a monetary level, to the tune of a couple grand, so while my money is saving the world, hipster money is making sure coffee shops stay open, and that's fine. It is in my interest, in the most literal sense, for green energy to do well - you have to let that happen instead of advocating for unnecessary roadblocks. Truth of the matter is that green energy is pushed by corporations that have the capital to invest in R&D, and industries will happily switch once price per watt becomes competitive with fossil fuels, which in some scenarios it already has.

As for your "we need to cut back even more than we did during the pandemic" comment, I have to remind you that this crisis caused the suicide rates to go up so high they're at the highest levels recorded. People are getting cabin fever at this point, we can't "live like this", this isn't a "new normal", nor should it be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54616688

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

We have to care for the environment, sure. It would be nice if we didn't kill ourselves in the process. It's nice that you care about melting ice, and about the pictures of all the little sad bears and whatnot, but this is a complicated issue that we won't solve by just saying "well, we need to do more". We've been "doing more" since Gore and very little has changed, so perhaps you should rely less on the pencil pushers and more on literal rocket scientists who are already "on it".

Reactions: wartutor

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
it's literally over now they are voting to have trump removed. :rofl2:
only in murica
They're not voting on removal, they're voting on "a measure to encourage Vice President Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment". They're basically officially asking him to do so, it's posturing, ultimately it's not their call to make.

EDIT: President Trump has just approved an emergency declaration in Washington DC ahead of the inauguration. It will stay in effect until January 24th to ensure a peaceful transfer of power without any further incidents.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ma-emergency-biden-inauguration-b1785782.html

Last edited by Foxi4,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't twist what I said, you have the ability to read (although it often doesn't show). Anthropogenic climate change is real, however carbon emission limitations, carbon credits and other assorted nonsense are not the solution. How you've gathered that I don't think it's real from my post is beyond me, but then again, who am I to question your reading comprehension. The solution to the carbon footprint issue must necessarily be technological, and we will not arrive at it by stifling industry. Government regulations do not effectively reduce the carbon footprint - technological progress does. Government decree does not magically generate low/no emissions vehicles, car manufacturers do. Not because it saves the planet, mind you, but because efficiency sells. Not that it even matters since consumer vehicles don't even generate that much CO2 - giant transport freighters do. Just 16 cargo ships produce as much pollution as *all of the cars in the world put together* because the heavy oil fuel they use isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

We could all stop driving tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference, pollution is, to a huge extent, a logistical issue. Just phasing out some of the old ships in favour of ones equipped with nuclear marine propulsion would be orders of magnitude more effective than anything we can do on land.

But of course most people wouldn't know that because most people don't know what they're talking about. So y'know, hang up your keys and ride a bike to work. You totally made a difference.
You said climate change "isn't really a problem," and I corrected you. It is, in fact, a problem. Humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth. Again, please educate yourself.

There is nothing about our current technologies that prevents us from moving to primarily green energy. To do this though, the solutions are going to have to be systemic. That means laws, regulations, etc.

Yes, this is correct. It's also absurdly irrelevant to anything I've said. The problem of human-caused climate change is due to our burning of fossil fuels. If your intention is to argue that carbon dioxide can't be a big deal because we breathe it out, that's a logical fallacy called the naturalistic fallacy. Whether or not humans breathe out carbon dioxide is irrelevant to whether or not it's a greenhouse gas that humans are pumping into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof