• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump leading in 5 key swing states

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which is?

the cdc, i expect nothing less from maga scum
Post automatically merged:

What is that supposed to even mean? When asked for a source, I provide my sources and even do my best to ensure they are either trustworthy, backed by multiple sources, and or peer-reviewed. I am bound to be wrong but at least I don’t make lazy attempts with “look it up” or “the CDC” or even just make shit up. I am sorry your lazy reply did not meet my request, maybe actually attempt to make a decent reply next time.

what about it is lazy? i made a reply, some weeb replied back to me asking for a source i asked them to narrow it down, some other weeb sundowned and here we are, its weird how many children they let on here just to say whatever they want, all i wanted was a topic to narrow down and have somehow still not gotten that.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
if you can’t provide that proof when asked, then your claim is bullshit

"A claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

This means that you can dismiss the claim as easily as it comes by, but it doesn't mean it is without risk.

You should have evidence if you are making the claim that something is bullshit, imo. A lack of source doesn't something is untrue.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the cdc, i expect nothing less from maga scum
The CDC is far from the "only factual source of information in the world". The CDC has a lot of useful and important information on medical topics and related fields, but as with any situation, one should use multiple reputable sources before forming an opinion on something. Valid sources that aren't the CDC do exist.

"A claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

This means that you can dismiss the claim as easily as it comes by, but it doesn't mean it is without risk.

You should have evidence if you are making the claim that something is bullshit, imo. A lack of source doesn't something is untrue.
This is fine thinking, but it isn't always practical. I'd say that being able to dismiss a claim with supporting evidence (regardless of the validity of the original argument) certainly adds to your own credibility. And in more analytical situations (such as baseless claims made in a court proceeding), such thinking is probably even required. It's a good habit to get into, but you can still have a strong argument without shooting down baseless claims with your own evidence.
That being said, it's very satisfying to do so!

Last edited by AdenTheThird,
  • Haha
Reactions: tabzer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
what about it is lazy? i made a reply, some weeb replied back to me asking for a source i asked them to narrow it down, some other weeb sundowned and here we are, its weird how many children they let on here just to say whatever they want, all i wanted was a topic to narrow down and have somehow still not gotten that.
It was lazy because I was asking for a source, not just "the CDC." I am sorry you don't understand how sourcing works

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some people wouldn’t know how to function without an instruction manual. If you don’t feed someone, and they starve, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are starving them.

This is fine thinking, but it isn't always practical. I'd say that being able to dismiss a claim with supporting evidence (regardless of the validity of the original argument) certainly adds to your own credibility. And in more analytical situations (such as baseless claims made in a court proceeding), such thinking is probably even required. It's a good habit to get into, but you can still have a strong argument without shooting down baseless claims with your own evidence.
That being said, it's very satisfying to do so!

I think people want to call something bullshit because a claim scares them so they do not know how to react. They are not comfortable in admitting that they do not know something, so they fake confidence as a self-defense mechanism. I think it’s very popular for Americans to do that. Unfortunately, it literally is stupid—having information and not knowing what to do with it.

Is America's legal system so oppressing that everyone thinks they are perpetually in the court of law? How does one breathe?

Last edited by tabzer,

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people wouldn’t know how to function without an instruction manual. If you don’t feed someone, and they starve, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are starving them.

I think people want to call something bullshit because a claim scares them so they do not know how to react. They are not comfortable in admitting that they do not know something, so they fake confidence as a self-defense mechanism. I think it’s very popular for Americans to do that. Unfortunately, it literally is stupid—having information and not knowing what to do with it.

Is America's legal system so oppressing that everyone thinks they are perpetually in the court of law? How does one breathe?
So are you gonna post a source or can you just shut the fuck up with this nonsense

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, most people worth their salt in debates don't mind following up with counter-arguments when asked. People being scared this much by arguments isn't really something I've heard of before, although I'm sure it is possible.
Most of the time, if people call bullshit, they just don't care enough about the opposing argument to disprove it. And, conversely, most of the people making the arguments in the first place (e.g. Trump won in 2020, Covid was a hoax, etc) have ignored so much evidence to hold that opinion that one more random guy on the Internet won't change their mind for anything. That's how I look at it, anyway.
No? I enjoy debating more than most, so I adopt a similar line of thinking to that of a defense lawyer--analyzing all available data, carefully reviewing sources and credibility, and composing a well-rounded stance that remains untainted by petty emotion.
I don't think most people think like I do. I'd be a little concerned if everyone did, to be honest. It's an extremely methodical way of thinking and responding, and most people simply don't want to put in that much effort. Which I understand.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We really need that translator

again? when did it come up?

It was lazy because I was asking for a source, not just "the CDC." I am sorry you don't understand how sourcing works

oh i understand perfectly, im the adult between the two of us, but your laziness doesnt mean i dont have to, its weird for a child to sundown but who am i to judge.

Excuse me? My anime interests are confined to the 90s

thats too bad, alot of good anime these days, there was a period where it was kinda bad but its picked up, but if that claim is true that makes it even worse, we get it, you got of to bulma, or trunks, welcome to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto