• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 437,716
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know I don't. I was referring to this:

which reads to me like a much lower moral standard than is reasonable. "Slippery enough not to get caught behaving immorally and not necessarily carrying out criminal acts at the moment and probably not going to go to prison" is a shit benchmark, and stinks of making excuses for somebody who you know is morally bankrupt but whose policies you nonetheless support because it suits you to do so.

As for being able to work with it - I disagree. These people are sanctioning activitiy which is killing the planet. Look at the fucking antarctic and then tell me we can work with that.
Trump was a necessary and welcome disruption to the DC monolith. If you're still operating under the mistaken belief that Congress cares one iota about the ice caps, you've learned absolutely nothing over the course of the last decade. The problem of climate change (which isn't really a problem - the climate changes all the time, it's more a question of adaptation than it is about turning back the clock) needs a technological solution, not gradually stifling industry under a mountain of unnecessary and often conflicting regulations. You're not going to plug the ozone layer with tax money, and the recent pandemic has shown more than anything that restricting the freedoms of the general population has negligible effect on the environmental impact of fossil fuels.

www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/11/covid-record-drop-global-carbon-emissions-2020.html

You might think that this is great news - worldwide greenhouse gas emissions have decreased by 7%. Once you're done digesting that, read it again. Lockdowns and putting large swathes of the economy completely on hold for nearly a year straight has decreased emissions by a measly 7%. Demand for oil went down so low that for a brief moment its value was in the negative, to very little effect in the long-term. 93% of emissions were completely unaffected by the entire world metaphorically stopping in its tracks and effectively triggering a recession without actually calling it a recession. Maybe we're looking at the wrong kinds of restrictions when we're designing environmental regulations if keeping people in-doors as much as humanly possible and forcing them into working from home doesn't even make a dent.

You're correct, I wanted someone like Trump. I wanted him to weasel his way out of ridiculous and ineffective agreements like the Paris Accord, which in itself is non-binding and puts undue pressure on the industry. I did want him to renegotiate the NAFTA deal and prevent further off-shoring of key industries. I did want him to lower the tax burden on the average Joe and the rich Joe alike. I'm perfectly satisfied with his policies, regardless of how he went about enacting them. I'm interested in results, not how "presidential" the president is.

If you think that's somehow heartless, or that I don't feel compassion for the planet, or if you have some other criticism in mind, I'll take it in strides because I probably don't care about any of those things nearly as much as I cared about lowering unemployment, increasing the GDP and lowering the tax burden, and all three goals materialised before the pandemic shook the world economy unexpectedly. In fact, even thought COVID rocked the States making unemployment skyrocket, it's already normalising, and rapidly so, in no small part due to Trump's business-friendly policies.
You don't have to make excuses for it. If it is predictable it might not be ideal but you can work with it.
Every single shortcoming of Trump's was on full display during his 2016 campaign, that's partially why he's Teflon. People knew who they voted for and they were fine with what they saw - nothing was a big surprise, that's why his base is like a monolith. Everything he did or said was priced into the package as early as 2016, let alone now.

Reactions: 0x3000027E

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to be clear, I meant "how many on the right would be fine with big tech censoring LGBT?".
Ah, sorry.
Sadly, probably most of them. (Especially considering none of them gave a flying fuck that Parler was doing the exact opposite of its goal by rampantly banning any users that said anything vaguely left-wing.)

Reactions: KingVamp

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost like we're tired of gay propaganda being spat in out faces every twenty seconds. Okay. We get it. You're gay. Now shut up, please.
And I'm tired of bigoted, hetwash-encouraging sludge being digitally projectile-vomited in our faces any time someone dares to bring up that LGBTQ+ even exists. Okay. We get it. You're homophobic. Now shut up, please.

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fa
Trump was a necessary and welcome disruption to the DC monolith. If you're still operating under the mistaken belief that Congress cares one iota about the ice caps, you've learned absolutely nothing over the course of the last decade. The problem of climate change (which isn't really a problem - the climate changes all the time, it's more a question of adaptation than it is about turning back the clock) needs a technological solution, not gradually stifling industry under a mountain of unnecessary and often conflicting regulations. You're not going to plug the ozone layer with tax money, and the recent pandemic has shown more than anything that restricting the freedoms of the general population has negligible effect on the environmental impact of fossil fuels.

You might think that this is great news - worldwide greenhouse gas emissions have decreased by 7%. Once you're done digesting that, read it again. Lockdowns and putting large swathes of the economy completely on hold for nearly a year straight has decreased emissions by a measly 7%. Demand for oil went down so low that for a brief moment its value was in the negative, to very little effect in the long-term. 93% of emissions were completely unaffected by the entire world metaphorically stopping in its tracks and effectively triggering a recession without actually calling it a recession. Maybe we're looking at the wrong kinds of restrictions when we're designing environmental regulations if keeping people in-doors as much as humanly possible and forcing them into working from home doesn't even make a dent.

You're correct, I wanted someone like Trump. I wanted him to weasel his way out of ridiculous and ineffective agreements like the Paris Accord, which in itself is non-binding and puts undue pressure on the industry. I did want him to renegotiate the NAFTA deal and prevent further off-shoring of key industries. I did want him to lower the tax burden on the average Joe and the rich Joe alike. I'm perfectly satisfied with his policies, regardless of how he went about enacting them. I'm interested in results, not how "presidential" the president is.

If you think that's somehow heartless, or that I don't feel compassion for the planet, or if you have some other criticism in mind, I'll take it in strides because I probably don't care about any of those things nearly as much as I cared about lowering unemployment, increasing the GDP and lowering the tax burden, and all three goals materialised before the pandemic shook the world economy unexpectedly. In fact, even thought COVID rocked the States making unemployment skyrocket, it's already normalising, and rapidly so, in no small part due to Trump's business-friendly policies.
Every single shortcoming of Trump's was on full display during his 2016 campaign, that's partially why he's Teflon. People knew who they voted for and they were fine with what they saw - nothing was a big surprise, that's why his base is like a monolith. Everything he did or said was priced into the package as early as 2016, let alone now.
Fantastic response, sir. I believe we share a similar view in this matter.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least my PFP doesn't have the straight flag in it.
This is a personal sigil I made for a freaking digital art project, from a good few months before anyone decided to be an asshole and publicly promote "straight pride". (Also, that piece of crap flag just has solid blue and pink instead of a gradient, since they also refuse to acknowledge gender isn't just a binary.)
You may be trying to joke, bait, troll, whatever, but comparing this to that flag is honestly a personal insult. Straight pride and all the other "majority-pride" movements are just obnoxious.
(And yeah, I know this makes me sound like a stereotypical SJW. But honestly, that's a lot better than being compared to a homophobic douchebag.)

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Human-caused climate change is indeed a problem. Humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth. Please educate yourself.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, what a reply! I barely use news sources, and remain as unbiased as possible, even when I'm upset. I don't really care about who's lying about what, because plenty of people will argue both sides. I just don't like Trump as a person, solely based on the reputation he's established for himself, the Republican party, and America as a whole. That's all.

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Removed quoted post

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Human-caused climate change is indeed a problem. Humans are putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate never before seen by the Earth. Please educate yourself.
Sir, I will accept this assertion, however the path to remedy 'climate change' cannot solely be found in legislation/regulation as you seem to suggest. The path you suggest is a political path, where legislation/regulation is bound to get lost in the daily toil of checks and balances (as it already has). One climate regulation is put in place, the same regulation overturned at the next election. These crude policies are constantly in flux, as you know. Furthermore, we cannot expect a group of world diplomats to offer any assistance beyond posturing. Surely, you recognize these world conferences as a study in public relations!?

On the other hand, US private enterprise is making tremendous advancements in this space. Unprecedented leaps in achievement fostered largely with private funding. Do you recognize these achievements? The US is leading this space with our ingenuity, and we should be grateful.

Last edited by 0x3000027E,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude you should write a book about this since stating facts (especially about LGBTQ+- sex change is not "on a whim" since neither homosexuality nor being transgender is a "choice" but literally just a neurological thing) seems to light quite a fire in your soul and under your ass
I'd buy it- any time I think I'm a failure, I'll read it and regain confidence in about three pages
oh, and you might wanna learn a bit about tone policing, tu quoque and the various other fallacies you like to throw around with abandon- maybe read up on it a little or at least switch to your main account

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Removed quoted post

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir, I will accept this assertion, however the path to remedy 'climate change' cannot solely be found in legislation/regulation as you seem to suggest. The path you suggest is a political path, where legislation/regulation is bound to get lost in the daily toil of checks and balances (as it already has). One climate regulation is put in place, the same regulation overturned at the next election. These crude policies are constantly in flux, as you know. Furthermore, we cannot expect a group of world diplomats to offer any assistance beyond posturing. Surely, you recognize these world conferences as a study in public relations!?

On the other hand, US private enterprise is making tremendous advancements in this space. Unprecedented leaps in achievement fostered largely with private funding. Do you recognize these achievements? The US is leading this space with our ingenuity, and we should be grateful.
Regulation has solved other climate issues in the past, and a systemic problem is going to require systemic solutions.

Your "politicians suck" platitude is mind-numbingly hollow.

Reactions: Plasmaster09

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bill Belichick rejects Medal of Freedom from his old buddy Donald Trump
Wow if youre really quiet... you can still hear the band playing.
EC150539-2B9A-4102-A9D0-891F4657B7B7.jpeg
Edit:fixed the link

Last edited by djpannda,

Frankfort42

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, what a reply! I barely use news sources, and remain as unbiased as possible, even when I'm upset. I don't really care about who's lying about what, because plenty of people will argue both sides. I just don't like Trump as a person, solely based on the reputation he's established for himself, the Republican party, and America as a whole. That's all.

So you just don't like the man? Hopefully you don't dislike him based on the lies from the Liberal Left, because then you'd be doing yourself a disservice and your outlook would be based on half truths, falsehoods and straight up fabrications. If you simply don't like him for being rich and an asshole then that's understandable. I personally don't like his attitude, but his policies did great things for the country. Honestly though, I don't need to like someone personally as long as they do the job they were elected to do and do it well and that's something Trump has excelled at.

plasmaster09 said:
neither homosexuality nor being transgender is a "choice" but literally just a neurological thing)

That's one sides theory. Like I said, if people can change genders on a whim, which happens a lot, which includes who and what they are attracted to then that puts a pretty big hole in your theory. I'm also not upset about the subject as I know what I believe and nothing you can say or do will change that, but it does seem the issue angers you. Unless you are normally just a jerk to anyone you disagree with and all.

Last edited by Frankfort42,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you just don't like the man? Hopefully you don't dislike him based on the lies from the Liberal Left, because then you'd be doing yourself a disservice and your outlook would be based on half truths, falsehoods and straight up fabrications. If you simply don't like him for being rich and an asshole then that's understandable. I personally don't like his attitude, but his policies did great things for the country. Honestly though, I don't need to like someone personally as long as they do the job they were elected to do and do it well and that's something Trump has excelled at.

That's one sides theory. Like I said, if people can change genders on a whim, which happens a lot, which includes who and what they are attracted to then that puts a pretty big hole in your theory. I'm also not upset about the subject as I know what I believe and nothing you can say or do will change that, but it does seem the issue angers you. Unless you are normally just a jerk to anyone you disagree with and all.
One cannot choose their sexuality nor gender identity, but I am not surprised you would claim otherwise. Someone who says "nothing you say or do will change my mind" is someone who is intellectually dishonest and doesn't care about truth.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One cannot choose their sexuality nor gender identity, but I am not surprised you would claim otherwise. Someone who says "nothing you say or do will change my mind" is someone who is intellectually dishonest and doesn't care about truth.
^This.
Changing one's opinion with regards to new information- like, say, the growing evidence that homosexuality is biological (and possibly even an evolutionary adaptation)- is proof you are actually willing to examine the information in question. Just bashing any opposing point with whatever stick you have on hand (whether it be tone-policing, "just a theory" or various others) only serves to prove you're more concerned about personal values than you are about reality.
Then again, my commentary may be all for naught in this case, seeing as watching a veteran user like Lacius argue with a deluded burner account that likely only joined for the explicit purpose of hopping in to this very thread and somehow making things worse than they already are isn't even like talking to a brick wall. It's akin to watching a tenured professor try to explain basic addition and subtraction to a petulant child too busy being high on freshly-sniffed glue to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?