Iwata: Wii U/3DS will cater to core gamers first, mass market second

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Wii U controller has all the inputs of a regular controller. If they don't want to use the tablet screen, just put a goddamn Crytek logo there.
No it doesn't. Where are the analog triggers? They're a standard on controllers since PS2 times - where are they? That's a big issue I have with the controller.

Nintendo has the time to add cameras and a touchscreen to the controller but couldn't add something as simple as analog triggers?

And what's with the slider mania? Why not analog sticks with a button underneath them like in the case of PS3 and the 360 - a feature that should become a staple of the next generation systems? Sliders *aren't comfortable*, you use them on portable systems, not home console controllers.

The WiiU controller is *not* a typical controller, this much has to be said. It adds new features but lacks in those that should be standard by now.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Under that definition, Resident Evil: Revelations can be defined as casual as it's divided into "bite-sized chunks" (chapters). ;)
No.

It's divided into chapters because it's a "home console game formula" that was altered to work on a portable system. It's core.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I like your statement about casual gaming because that's exactly what it stands for. Although, core titles can be defined in many different ways. For me a core title needs to lure gamers, while staying true to it's formula (FPS, Platformers, etc). Not only that, it needs something that keeps you coming back for more... I'm not sure how I can explain this clearly but that's my take.
I agree to the point where it has to stay true to the formula, but to me a formula can always be improved upon in numerous ways, and its those improvements that make given titles memorable.

What Ninty has to do is get better 3rd party support. Most games in the 3DS library at the moment, that aren't 1st party are shovelware. There are quite a few exceptions (Tales, RE, etc..) but shovelware outweighs non-shovelware pretty badly. They have to stop letting random devs in for a quick buck develop for their systems.
Yeah, that's never going to happen. On any platform. You can't restrict devs from your platform just because you consider their games shovelware.

At least, restrict them from releasing their shovelware. Get play testers to rate it before it goes out.
Nobody forces any of you to buy shovelware. If you don't like it, ignore it.
Yes of course, improvements are always a good thing. Or else a game series could get pretty stale.

D

Deleted_171835

The Wii U controller has all the inputs of a regular controller. If they don't want to use the tablet screen, just put a goddamn Crytek logo there.

No it doesn't. Where are the analog triggers? They're a standard on controllers since PS2 times - where are they? That's a big issue I have with the controller.

Nintendo has the time to add cameras and a touchscreen to the controller but couldn't add something as simple as analog triggers?

And what's with the slider mania? Why not analog sticks with a button underneath them like in the case of PS3 and the 360 - a feature that should become a staple of the next generation systems? Sliders *aren't comfortable*, you use them on portable systems, not home console controllers.

The WiiU controller is *not* a typical controller, this much has to be said. It adds new features but lacks in those that should be standard by now.
Yeah and none of the issues that you've presented prevent them from porting the game over. Analog triggers and a circle-pad wouldn't prevent them from bringing the game over. Not to mention that the controller is still a work-in-progress.

Man, do I really have to draw you a picture?
Google is your best friend soulsnatcher.

This is like trying to tell Warren Jeff's followers he's not a prophet.
When they say that, they're referring to the chances of the game coming to the Wii U. Not whether it will "succeed" on the platform.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah and none of the issues that you've presented prevent them from porting the game over. Analog triggers and a circle-pad wouldn't prevent them from bringing the game over. Not to mention that the controller is still a work-in-progress.
That's another thing. The WiiU appears to be always in progress. It's like the console's in a limbo - developers periodically recieve updated devkits for it and CryTek isn't f*cking around - their goal is creating a ground-breaking engine that will stun you with its visuals - when the functionality of the devkit fluctuates, you can't really work in a stable environment required for achieving such feats.

If I read your post correctly, you defined games as casual depending on whether they were divided into bite-sized chunks. Revelations fits that example.
A bite-sized chunk is a level of Angry Birds, not a chapter in Resident Evil. C'mon - you KNOW what I meant. ;)

Nit-picky revenge, is it? :P

Reactions: 1 person

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kid Icarus: Uprising is quite similar, just from a different angle. If not for games like Smash Bros. which have collectibles featuring Pit, most gamers wouldn't even know who the hell he was - it's clearly directed not at the core gamer but the old school Nintendo crowd.
My my, Kid Icarus is not aimed for old school Nintendo crowds alone. Have you seen the how much they advertised the heck out it since the reveal E3 2010 to get a wider appeal. To begin with It's a completely different game compared to the originals so no it's just not targeting just the the older crowd who knew Kid Icarus. The single player is one of the best on the 3DS as of today and the multiplayer is really well done and intensifying. I've never played the NES/GB versions, yet after seeing the gameplay I was sold.

I see no reason why it wouldn't appeal to non Nintendo fans(so called core gamers), it is a fantastic game. This game is right up there with Resident Evil :Revelations with its offerings and most people will agree. Unless core games is now determined by mature content, not cartoon-ish looking and must be shooter.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

That's another thing. The WiiU appears to be always in progress. It's like the console's in a limbo - developers periodically recieve updated devkits for it and CryTek isn't f*cking around - their goal is creating a ground-breaking engine that will stun you with its visuals - when the functionality of the devkit fluctuates, you can't really work in a stable environment required for achieving such feats.
Well it hasn't been released yet. Of course they're still going to change some things. But I suppose that's a valid point. They may not have enough resources to work on porting the game over.

And yeah, I was being nitpicky. :

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Kid Icarus: Uprising is quite similar, just from a different angle. If not for games like Smash Bros. which have collectibles featuring Pit, most gamers wouldn't even know who the hell he was - it's clearly directed not at the core gamer but the old school Nintendo crowd.
My my, Kid Icarus is not aimed for old school Nintendo crowds alone. Have you seen the how much they advertised the heck out it since the reveal E3 2010 to get a wider appeal. To begin with It's a completely different game compared to the originals so no it's just not targeting just the the older crowd who knew Kid Icarus. The single player is one of the best on the 3DS as of today and the multiplayer is really well done and intensifying. I've never played the NES/GB versions, yet after seeing the gameplay I was sold.
I never said that it's not a good game - it appears to be good, I am yet to play it so I have no definite opinion, to me it doesn't appear to be a core game. As a person who never played Kid Icarus, the only thing that draws me to it is the formula which is one that I particularily like - the cast or the story don't really seem all that appealing to me.

I see no reason...
...why Gunpowder treason... :P

why it wouldn't appeal to non Nintendo fans(so called core gamers), it is a fantastic game. This game is right up there with Resident Evil :Revelations with its offerings and most people will agree. Unless core games is now determined by mature content and must be shooter.
I'll give you my definite opinion when I get to properly playtest it - I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in videos and heard/read in reviews here. The only game that I actually properly played from the mentioned roster is OOT 3D and I wasn't particularily amused by it, it just seemed... dated, despite the remaking.

Well it hasn't been released yet. Of course they're still going to change some things. But I suppose that's a valid point. They may not have enough resources to work on porting the game over.

And yeah, I was being nitpicky. :

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I never said that it's not a good game - it appears to be good, I am yet to play it so I have no definite opinion, to me it doesn't appear to be a core game. As a person who never played Kid Icarus, the only thing that draws me to it is the formula which is one that I particularily like - the cast or the story don't really seem all that appealing to me.
How the hell is KI:Uprising NOT a 'core' game? It's not a rehash (which apparently, according to you means a game isn't 'core', although there's hundreds of 'core' games that have sequels), it has original, intense and competitive gameplay and it is one of the system major games at this point in time.
Now, no matter how you view the terms 'core' and 'casual' (which is subject to opinion as to what they mean exactly), Kid Icarus is definitely the former - along with MK7, SM3DL and OoT (which isn't made 'solely for nostalgia' - I haven't played the original but am LOVING 3DS version).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How the hell is KI:Uprising NOT a 'core' game? It's not a rehash (which apparently, according to you means a game isn't 'core', although there's hundreds of 'core' games that have sequels), it has original, intense and competitive gameplay and it is one of the system major games at this point in time.
Now, no matter how you view the terms 'core' and 'casual' (which is subject to opinion as to what they mean exactly), Kid Icarus is definitely the former - along with MK7, SM3DL and OoT (which isn't made 'solely for nostalgia' - I haven't played the original but am LOVING 3DS version).
While I agree that Kid Icarus may be arguably core, I don't think that MK7, SM3DS or OoT3D are, not by a long shot, so we'll just have to agree to disagree, we already derailed the thread enough.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to see Ninty getting third parties to produce core games on their systems. Because quite frankly, Nintendo games alone are not going to satisfy the typical core gamer. There needs to be a greater variation.

Reactions: 6 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you have to have a very specific taste in order to get full enjoyment out of Kid Icarus Uprising, you have to be the kind of gamer who likes to play at hard levels in order to beat high scores and unlock stuff.
Because of that I don't see it as a core title even if we define Nintendo gamers as a core audience.

Personally I love the main campaign to death but I really don't see me playing it online without getting a system comparable to what Mario Kart 7 offers, the game does have a Nintendo Network logo on the box so it will hopefully get an online update sometime soon in order to fix this problem. So until then I don't see it having an appeal to the average gamer.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Quoting destructoid again? That's a bad source. The entire article was conjecture and opinion on the part of the author, with only three words being an actual quote. It's possible, even probably that Crysis 3 is not coming to the Wii U due to time constraints, or issues with the launch period.

Not a fat chance
Rasmus Hoejengaard's words, not destructoid. Those words is all that is relevant

About the 5:20 mark
[yt]IDCDNlGhgdE#![/yt]

Fat chance does not mean "due to time constraints, or issues with the launch period".
It means that shit ain't gonna happen.

But that's off topic...
Fat chance, as you've ounted out, means it won't happen. However, it could be not happening for any number of reasons. Bad relations with Nintendo, not wanting to design additional functions for the controller, Crysis launch period not co-inciding with Wii U launch period...

Wait a second, I never actually stopped to figure out why you were actually posting that. You just posted the article, without any explanation. Why is it YOU think they aren't giving the Wii U a port, and how is it relevant to this topic?

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Nobody forces any of you to buy shovelware. If you don't like it, ignore it.
9twRA.jpg

So I guess that doesn't apply to people feel who the need to enter these threads and bitch about every action Nintendo makes?

Nobody forces any of you to play Nintendo games. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I guess that doesn't apply to people feel who the need to enter these threads and bitch about every action Nintendo makes?

Nobody forces any of you to play Nintendo games. If you don't like it, ignore it.
There's nothing wrong in constructive criticism. I do agree that people who only criticize Nintendo products for being Nintendo products shouldn't participate in threads like this one though.

There's a myriad of things I "like" about the WiiU that I could write an elaborate essay on and only a handful of things I'd like to see improved, hence I focus on the latter hoping for some improvements rather than the former and blindly praise.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because those aren't core titles?
Not in my book.

Ocarina of Time 3DS is simply a game that sucks on the nostalgia of long-term Nintendo fans, that's its only purpose.

Don't get me started on Mario 3D - Mario's just... not a core title. It's a Nintendo franchise cartered for Nintendo fans, not the general group of gamers.

Not saying that those games are bad - hell no. They're just not directed at the core gamer, they're directed at core Nintendo fans, and there's a huge difference.

Resident Evil: Revelations - that's a core title. Emphesize that.

Funny, those 3 games you listed are amazing video games.
Amazing non-core video games. That's the only point I'm making.
I never really played the first OoT, and I enjoyed OoT3D anyway.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
1. Shovelware has become a very diluted term. I even overheard someone saying the Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing game coming out for 3DS is "shovelware"
2. The people on this forum aren't the typical Shovelware purchasers. That would be the people most likely NOT to visit these forums. Grandmas, clueless parents, and kids who know fuck all about good games besides "Oooh it's pink and it has a baby on it!"
3. Complaining about shovelware won't do a damn thing, really, besides make YOU feel better. The only way to combat shovelware is to educate the clueless about good games, and how to spot the horrible ones.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

Because those aren't core titles?
Not in my book.

Ocarina of Time 3DS is simply a game that sucks on the nostalgia of long-term Nintendo fans, that's its only purpose.

Don't get me started on Mario 3D - Mario's just... not a core title. It's a Nintendo franchise cartered for Nintendo fans, not the general group of gamers.

Not saying that those games are bad - hell no. They're just not directed at the core gamer, they're directed at core Nintendo fans, and there's a huge difference.

Resident Evil: Revelations - that's a core title. Emphesize that.

Funny, those 3 games you listed are amazing video games.
Amazing non-core video games. That's the only point I'm making.
Core means system selling titles. Herp derp
Not hardcore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1