Iwata: Wii U/3DS will cater to core gamers first, mass market second

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS's early years and its forthcoming Wii U launch is to put core-orientated games ahead of efforts to attract the mass market, according to CEO Satoru Iwata.
Speaking in an investor Q&A following its financial report last week, Iwata explained that the platform holder has learned from mistakes made with the Wii.
While that console succeeded in attracting new customers with more casual titles such as Wii Sports, he admitted Nintendo had then struggled to convince core gamers to take the platform seriously, which negatively impacted the system's long term success.
"The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit," he explained.
"However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.
"Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released."
Accordingly, Iwata explained, it decided not to flood the 3DS's early release slate with casual games, instead prioritising core titles such as Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. It intends to take a similar approach with the Wii U when it launches later this year.
"Once consumers have a notion that 'this system is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," said Iwata.

:arrow: Source (and rest of article)

Well, it's not like we didn't already know this this but it's good Nintendo have finally come out and admitted that the Wii wasn't the best for gamers and that they will definitely take a different approach with the Wii U.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted User

citizen_cane.gif

Lets hope they keep their promise.

Reactions: 8 people
D

Deleted_171835

While that console succeeded in attracting new customers with more casual titles such as Wii Sports, he admitted Nintendo had then struggled to convince core gamers to take the platform seriously, which negatively impacted the system's long term success.
Well maybe the Wii would have continued doing well if you hadn't dropped all fucking support for the system in 2011.

> Core titles
> Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7

*leaves thread*
Because those aren't core titles?

Reactions: 7 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because those aren't core titles?
Not in my book.

Ocarina of Time 3DS is simply a game that sucks on the nostalgia of long-term Nintendo fans, that's its only purpose.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is quite similar, just from a different angle. If not for games like Smash Bros. which have collectibles featuring Pit, most gamers wouldn't even know who the hell he was - it's clearly directed not at the core gamer but the old school Nintendo crowd.

Don't get me started on Mario 3D - Mario's just... not a core title. It's a Nintendo franchise cartered for Nintendo fans, not the general group of gamers.

Not saying that those games are bad - hell no. They're just not directed at the core gamer, they're directed at core Nintendo fans, and there's a huge difference.

Resident Evil: Revelations - that's a core title. Emphesize that.

Funny, those 3 games you listed are amazing video games.
Amazing non-core video games. That's the only point I'm making.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know its not a "core title" when you can just open the start menu and have the game play its self

D

Deleted_171835

Ocarina of Time 3DS is simply a game that sucks on the nostalgia of long-term Nintendo fans, that's its only purpose.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is quite similar, just from a different angle. If not for games like Smash Bros. which have collectibles featuring Pit, most gamers wouldn't even know who the hell he was - it's clearly directed not at the core gamer but the old school Nintendo crowd.

Don't get me started on Mario 3D - Mario's just... not a core title. It's a Nintendo franchise cartered for Nintendo fans, not the general group of gamers.

Not saying that those games are bad - hell no. They're just not directed at the core gamer, they're directed at core Nintendo fans, and there's a huge difference.

Resident Evil: Revelations - that's a core title. Emphesize that.
With all that said, what do you consider core titles? Because in my book, Kid Icarus (which is a great game regardless of the fact that Pit may not be a well-known character), Super Mario 3D Land (which is a solid platformer) and Mario Kart 7 (which is well Mario Kart) are all core titles.

And I checked the actual translated Q&A and it turns out Nintendo hasn't even said that. That's assumptions by Eurogamer (typical videogame journalism).
http://www.nintendo....20427qa/03.html

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3DS is fantastic, Kid Icarus is superb w/ experimental camera control, Super Mario 3D Land great, lots of great e-shop titles like Sakura Samurai, lots of great video content (most from Sony,) 3DS is possibly the greatest system of all time. Every day I slap myself in the face to wake up from the nightmare that the Vita has no 3d. This is the worst decision Sony has ever made. People saying "3D is a GIMMICK" simply blow my mind. 3D is the absolute next evolution in graphics and gameplay.

If you think 3D is a gimmick, then I demand that you sell one of your eyes. You do not deserve depth perception. Good luck jumping over lava pits in real life.

Also I'm not impressed with Wii U but new features/gameplay ideas for 2 screens/big specs might convince me otherwise.

Another edit: Vita still looks really great even without 3D and I will probably eventually get one. But my god I wish it had 3d. I am literally slapping myself raw.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With all that said, what do you consider core titles? Because in my book, Kid Icarus (which is a great game regardless of the fact that Pit may not be a well-known character), Super Mario 3D Land (which is a solid platformer) and Mario Kart 7 (which is well Mario Kart) are all core titles.

And I checked the actual translated Q&A and it turns out Nintendo hasn't even said that. That's assumptions by Eurogamer (typical videogame journalism).
http://www.nintendo....20427qa/03.html
To me, a core title is a title that is supposed to draw the attention of the average gamer with no preference or even opposing preference to itself. It has to be fresh, new, innovative. This is why core titles are usually new IP's or multiplatform ones. The target audience are gamers. Not "Nintendo Gamers" or "Sony Gamers" or "PC Gamers" or "XBox Gamers". Just gamers.

A core title has to have the qualities that will make it appealing even to those who do not have a given console and had no previous plans of purchasing it - it has to be definitive and genre-defining, it has to reach to hights never before reached while not cartering to any specific group of gamers.

That's my take.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Core vs. causal, that debate isn't all that important. Having a healthy supply of quality games is all that really matters; that is what the focus should be on.

Reactions: 5 people

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why would core gamers come back to Nintendo?
All they do is rehash old franchise. Their third party support is still a joke.

I'll believe it when I see it. But for now Nintendo remains a casual brand.

I had a chance to talk with Rasmus Hoejengaard, Crytek's Director of Creative Development, on what we can expect out of Crysis 3. We covered stuff like the overall plot, new weapons, abilities and how PC players can expect high-end support when the game releases next Spring.
As for Wii U support, Rasmus told us there's "not a fat chance" of the game appearing on Nintendo's next system. Probably for the best, I still don't see how first-person shooters will be any fun on that hulking controller.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
To me, a core title is a title that is supposed to draw the attention of the average gamer
Then a core title is Call of Duty, and EA Sports. The very newest game in the respective series, to be more specific.
I think your notions of the 'average gamer' are a tad idealized.

Reactions: 4 people

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS is fantastic, Kid Icarus is superb w/ experimental camera control, Super Mario 3D Land great, lots of great e-shop titles like Sakura Samurai, lots of great video content (most from Sony,) 3DS is possibly the greatest system of all time. Every day I slap myself in the face to wake up from the nightmare that the Vita has no 3d. This is the worst decision Sony has ever made. People saying "3D is a GIMMICK" simply blow my mind. 3D is the absolute next evolution in graphics and gameplay.

If you think 3D is a gimmick, then I demand that you sell one of your eyes. You do not deserve depth perception. Good luck jumping over lava pits in real life.

Also I'm not impressed with Wii U but new features/gameplay ideas for 2 screens/big specs might convince me otherwise.

Another edit: Vita still looks really great even without 3D and I will probably eventually get one. But my god I wish it had 3d. I am literally slapping myself raw.
3D IS a gimmick. There was a report that said that 80% of the 3DS owners didn't like 3D. Even Nintendo started to promote in their TV Spot and ads that you can turn the 3D off.

D

Deleted_171835

3D IS a gimmick. There was a report that said that 80% of the 3DS owners didn't like 3D. Even Nintendo started to promote in their TV Spot and ads that you can turn the 3D off.
Before I got a 3DS, I would agree with you. Now that I have one, I think 3D is as relevant as HD visuals.

3D can really enhance the presentation of certain games as well as help a bit with the gameplay. Recently, 3D has helped me really get immersed in the jungle in MGS3D as well as truly feel like I'm in Hyrule Fields in Ocarina of Time 3D. 3D certainly isn't just a gimmick.

Reactions: 7 people

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Study: 28 percent of 3DS owners don't care for 3D effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms248DrsEGE
http://www.neogamr.net/news/study-28-percent-of-3ds-owners-dont-care-for-3d-effects

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before I got a 3DS, I would agree with you. Now that I have one, I think 3D is as relevant as HD visuals.

3D can really enhance the presentation of certain games as well as help a bit with the gameplay. Recently, 3D has helped me really get immersed in the jungle in MGS3D as well as truly feel like I'm in Hyrule Fields in Ocarina of Time 3D. 3D certainly isn't just a gimmick.
Agreed. And it helped me a LOT of times in Kid Icarus Uprising to dodge effectively AND to snipe from afar.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then a core title is Call of Duty, and EA Sports. The very newest game in the respective series, to be more specific.
I think your notions of the 'average gamer' are a tad idealized.
Call of Duty used to be a core title before it established an obnoxious cult around it, but even now it shows glimpses of splendor here and there. Sports games on the otherhand are typically targeted at sports fans - they're not exactly core.

Perhaps my idea is a bit idealized, but to me, the difference between core and non-core is the difference between "Twillight" and "Lord of the Rings" or "Discworld".

A core title needs to have this everlasting appeal, a quality that is hard to describe in words. Casual is a completely different thing - those types of games are supposed to draw the attention of gamers and people who are not particularily interested in gaming. They're supposed to be played in short sittings and give quick "injections of fun", alternatively they're supposed to be played at parties by groups of people. The definitive feature of those games is simply "Grab and Play" - they need to be painfuly obvious about how a typical non-gamer is supposed to approach them, alternatively, they need to teach the gamer how to play them in the course of those short sittings, and not by means of a tutorial but by means of clever design, for instance like New Super Mario Bros. does.

So yeah, that's my categorization, I hope it was elaborate enough to explain my previous statement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: