Hacking Is it normal that cias take forever to install via FBI on "Ultra" and "Extreme" SD cards?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
woah why is everybody getting such slow speeds? I use a Samsung 64GB Evo Select and don't have those insanely slow installing times
Because buzzwords like "ultra" and "extreme" are mainly just there to push the product. They, along with the class, really mean nothing when it comes to the actual speed of the card.

kinio_64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, it's not. Especially with <800KB/s wifi on the 3ds
Actually it looks like 3DS Wi-Fi cannot download faster then ~5Mb/s. I was tethering my 4G connection to 3DS for freeShop and my o3DS never used more then 5Mb/s. Max downlink on 4G at my location was ~67Mb/s, my smartphone average upload speed in Wi-Fi hotspot mode is ~266Mb/s. so this must be 3DS hardware limitations.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because buzzwords like "ultra" and "extreme" are mainly just there to push the product. They, along with the class, really mean nothing when it comes to the actual speed of the card.

Yeah the class is the guaranteed minimum write speed that it will achieve, in some cases a card could be much faster at writing than the minimum and it means nothing at all in terms of how fast you can read from it.

A 4gb class 10 card could never write faster than 10MB/S and it take an entire week to read from it. Or it could normally be able to read and write at 1000MB/S, but once a year slow down to 10MB/S. Those are extreme examples I grant you, but it should highlight that cards of the same class could easily be double the speed of the other in a simple test.

The price has some part to play, although it's certainly possible to buy a better card cheaper than a worse card. If you pay a quarter of the sandisk/Lexar pro price, then speed is not on your selection criteria.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/best-microsd-card-best-microsd-cards-uk-2017-3640745/

Buying a card that supports a faster interface that the device you're putting it in seems pointless, but it's the speed of the flash memory that you need to worry about & that isn't included in the specifications at all. It can also sometimes be worth buying the smallest card that you can get away.

Last edited by smf,

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it looks like 3DS Wi-Fi cannot download faster then ~5Mb/s. I was tethering my 4G connection to 3DS for freeShop and my o3DS never used more then 5Mb/s. Max downlink on 4G at my location was ~67Mb/s, my smartphone average upload speed in Wi-Fi hotspot mode is ~266Mb/s. so this must be 3DS hardware limitations.
My N3DS XL maxed at 1,5 Megabytes/s (~ 12 Mbit/s). I have 50 Mbit/s Network.

bigballs1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
yeah i'm getting strange speeds too. sometimes 100kib/s sometimes 2.0mib/s. but mostly around 256kib/s which is way too slow when trying to install 25+gb. cant work it out tho as it's inconsistent. e.g i start an install, wait a few mins, check the speed - if it's slow, stop the install then restart, check back after a few mins and sometimes the speed has returned to 2.0mib/s! weird. fbi 2.4.8 and genuine sandisk 64gb new 3ds xl

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
SanDisk Ultra user here, when I migrated from GW to Luma I had to reinstall all 30 titles I have. 40GB worth of CIAs took 8 hours to install at roughly 1.3-1.5MB/s. The card is otherwise quite fast on PC. I get around 10 or so MB. The card is rated UHS-1. My guess is read CIA from card + write installed app to card + encryption overhead slowed it down.

Last edited by Searinox,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably is in relation to the class of your sd card. I have a 200GB SD card (class 10 I believe) that installs games quickly enough on my 3DS via FBI. A 2 GB game will take about 10 minutes (if that) to install on my 3DS.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely reason for slowness.

1) 3ds hardware simply can't take advantage of class 10 write speeds. it comes with a class 4. IF class 10 really helped, they would come standard with them.
2) installing cias requires more than just copying it also has to be decompresed. in this case, o3ds is slower than new.
3) has to read and write to same device. this slows it down too.
4) the emunand hook, if using it, probably also slows things down.

Those who complain about slow install times.. is it an old or new 3ds?

If the game is available on the freeshop it's usually a good idea to get it there. this bypasses the cia conversion step.

BOttom line is you are limited by the 3ds hardware if you have a decent class 10

Extreme IS faster then ultra. specifically, the U2 on the extreme means it's faster than the U1 on the ultra.

But the 3ds, and especially the old 3ds can't really take advantage. that's why it came with a class 4.

Cluster size may also be an issue. The proper formatting tool for sdcards is NOT windows. it's the official sd card formatter. (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/)

The exception is if it's greater then 32 gb. in which case you must format as fat32 using a different program. this WILL cause slowness though.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

bigballs1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ok I think the issue is nothing to do with our cards or the way they're formatted. As long as they're fat32 and I use 32kb allocation unit size without issue on any system.

HOPEFUL SOLUTION PEOPLE;

I've found that if you power off your 3ds then power on and start up an FBI install straight away, you should get around 2mib/s speeds until you've installed around 1.8gb (at least on a N3DS) then it'll slow to around 256kib/s - that is until you power off and on again. This leads me to believe the issue is to do with the 3ds' internal memory/caching, and it may not be possible (or easy enough) to fix.

Reactions: guanda80

hotaru251

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My O3ds takes time when using eshop.
My N3ds is much faster.

I'd assume its a bad net hardware in systems.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ok I think the issue is nothing to do with our cards or the way they're formatted. As long as they're fat32 and I use 32kb allocation unit size without issue on any system.

HOPEFUL SOLUTION PEOPLE;

I've found that if you power off your 3ds then power on and start up an FBI install straight away, you should get around 2mib/s speeds until you've installed around 1.8gb (at least on a N3DS) then it'll slow to around 256kib/s - that is until you power off and on again. This leads me to believe the issue is to do with the 3ds' internal memory/caching, and it may not be possible (or easy enough) to fix.
Wow this is somenice discovery.
Nintendo likes to cut some corners.... two different systems have different speeds for instalation with the same SD card, i found out a week ago...

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get 256 kByte/s in FBI, 1.4 Mbyte/s in freeshop, and 2 in the eShop on my New 3DS.

Also, does anyone realize this is a 2 year old necrobump?

bigballs1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I get 256 kByte/s in FBI,
even if you power off, wait 10 secs then power on before starting fbi?
Also, does anyone realize this is a 2 year old necrobump?
actually, i didn't lol but these old threads are obviously still relevant to us bottom feeders
HOPEFUL SOLUTION PEOPLE;
I've found that if you power off your 3ds then power on and start up an FBI install straight away
waiting 10 seconds before powering on again, eliminates my method occasionally failing (for me at least)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1