I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Why be sorry? You were completely right! :P
Well, yes, the it's technically the Test Menu that's getting replaced, but the HOME Menu will be unused anyway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"new" test menu?

Anyways, on old3DS if you enter another system applet (like Notifications), the home menu will die. If you have the Home Menu TitleID set to something different than the original home menu, the system will launch that instead. Since the Test Menu isn't programmed to be relaunched, it'll crash the system.
#CustomFriendListGameNotesNotificationsInternetBrowserAndMiiverseConfirmed

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"new" test menu?

Anyways, on old3DS if you enter another system applet (like Notifications), the home menu will die. If you have the Home Menu TitleID set to something different than the original home menu, the system will launch that instead. Since the Test Menu isn't programmed to be relaunched, it'll crash the system.

Eh, by "New" I meant "Custom", like what you're doing here.

So basically this Custom Home/Test Menu may only be useful for faster booting? I figured we'd be able to add different services to run in the background, like a built-in "NTR" of sorts for Cheats and/or Wireless Streaming for Video Capture.

Reactions: smileyhead

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Eh, by "New" I meant "Custom", like what you're doing here.

So basically this Custom Home/Test Menu may only be useful for faster booting? I figured we'd be able to add different services to run in the background, like a built-in "NTR" of sorts for Cheats and/or Wireless Streaming for Video Capture.

Faster booting: definitely possible, it's booting ~3-5seconds faster than retail home menu on old3DS.
Built-in NTR, cheats, or anything running in the background as the home menu, no. Those might (and on old3DS WILL) get killed after a while, so pointless. That's what sysmodules are for. You launch them anyways like if they were binaries :P

Reactions: d4mation

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you just described sounds like a modded Home Menu rather than what this project aims to achieve.

My understanding is that this project aims to have many options so that ultimately you can have new home menus that have drastic changes to look like an Android or PS4 menu or whatever, but could also aesthetically be the same as the standard home menu but with features that are restricted implemented in (such as going above the 300 title limit).

I mean, if that's incorrect, OP, please let me know, but the info I've seen sure makes it sound like that's a possibility.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
My understanding is that this project aims to have many options so that ultimately you can have new home menus that have drastic changes to look like an Android or PS4 menu or whatever, but could also aesthetically be the same as the standard home menu but with features that are restricted implemented in (such as going above the 300 title limit).

I mean, if that's incorrect, OP, please let me know, but the info I've seen sure makes it sound like that's a possibility.

Welp, if you can reimplement the retail home menu's looks, then Kudos to you :yay3ds:

But ye, the goal of this research is to get homebrew running in place of home menu while trying to maintain compatibility with CTRSDK applications. The only thing that will fuck me over will be reimplementing mset reboots.

P

PaiiNSteven

Imagine if you could launch .3dsx files straight from the homemenu. With its own little custom "Nintendo 3DS" animation and everything.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, if you can reimplement the retail home menu's looks, then Kudos to you :yay3ds:

But ye, the goal of this research is to get homebrew running in place of home menu while trying to maintain compatibility with CTRSDK applications. The only thing that will fuck me over will be reimplementing mset reboots.

Haha well I suppose that's not incredibly surprising. I'll have to see what kind of home menus people develop. I really just wish there was a simple way to remove these limitations on 3DS titles, DS titles, Placed badges, and number of themes that can be shuffled. If I knew what I was doing, I'd definitely go in and take a stab at such a thing myself, but I know nothing in the area of coding, so obviously I'm of no use on the subject lol.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Imagine if you could launch .3dsx files straight from the homemenu. With its own little custom "Nintendo 3DS" animation and everything.

Welp, technically it should be possible. You'll "just" need to port app_bootloader to be able to launched as a cia, plus a few other fuckery, and it should be possible to make a companion .cia that'll gspwn into itself, then when the 3dsx returns, it'll exit back to the home menu just if it were launched as a cia. But this is only a speculation for now, I'm now busy REing some crucial stuff, because I'm now crashing ns for some reason... :/

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, technically it should be possible. You'll "just" need to port app_bootloader to be able to launched as a cia, plus a few other fuckery, and it should be possible to make a companion .cia that'll gspwn into itself, then when the 3dsx returns, it'll exit back to the home menu just if it were launched as a cia. But this is only a speculation for now, I'm now busy REing some crucial stuff, because I'm now crashing ns for some reason... :/
Why would there be a need for gspwn with something like svcBackdoor?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Why would there be a need for gspwn with something like svcBackdoor?

iirc you still need to map memory as executable to be able to svcBackdoor it. Also, good luck svcBackdooring on/past 11.0 :P

But ye, good point otherwise. Since on Ninjhax1's page it said
We made the decision early on that ninjhax should only work with a highly relocatable executable format as a way to improve compatibility with potential future exploits, which may or may not include the ability to update virtual memory page permissions. 3DSX is a format developed by fincs which allows us to do just that; each section (.text, rodata and data) can be relocated independently, making it perfect for our needs. Compiling as 3DSX rather than CXI will help maximize future compatibility.
so it may be worth a try to map executable memory if it's even possibe without some sort of kernelhax.

Last edited by Sono,
D

Deleted User

Is there any update on this project? I know it's just been almost a day, but usually Marcus reports plenty of small updates and changes he has made to the work-in-progress. :unsure:

@ihaveamac, you mentioned something about 'following the project on Discord'... do you know at all what that said Discord server is? I like being kept up-to-date because I'm extremely interested about this project!

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Is there any update on this project? I know it's just been almost a day, but usually Marcus reports plenty of small updates and changes he has made to the work-in-progress. :unsure:

@ihaveamac, you mentioned something about 'following the project on Discord'... do you know at all what that said Discord server is? I like being kept up-to-date because I'm extremely interested about this project!
https://github.com/MarcuzD/TreeHome
It's released I guess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.