Homebrew [Release] Vice3DS (C64 Emulator)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here comes micro release 2.4.2. Game downloads work again :-)
https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/releases
or use the vice3DS built-in update (by opening vice menu using <SELECT>-Button and choose "Check for updates").
Have fun!
Nice! But I must ask… why .3ds only for c128? Mind building a .cia for that? GW is long dead…

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can it really be true that just YESTERDAY, Saturday February 11th a new version was released with support for Gamebase64 downloads? And I was just sitting here tonight thinking "Damn, wouldn't it be nice if you could just DL right off the site."

Thank you! Vice 64 3DS is the best way to experience C64 emulation I have ever had the pleasure of trying.

Uh, btw, where are the images stored when using Gamebase64 dls?
Post automatically merged:

I think I have run into a dead end kind of situation in Vice63 3DS's file browser. Is this the place to report technical problems?

Anyways:
The file browser (Rocket symbol button) will close instantly if you try to open it when the folder it last visited has been deleted from the file system.

Even if you reset the app.
Only way to get out of this dead end is to recreate the folder with the exact name. Then you can back out, and now delete the folder in GodMode9, FBI, via FTP or whatever app you use for file handling.

Last edited by tacticurn,
Reactions: Badda

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
I think I have run into a dead end kind of situation in Vice63 3DS's file browser. Is this the place to report technical problems?

Anyways:
The file browser (Rocket symbol button) will close instantly if you try to open it when the folder it last visited has been deleted from the file system.

Even if you reset the app.
Only way to get out of this dead end is to recreate the folder with the exact name. Then you can back out, and now delete the folder in GodMode9, FBI, via FTP or whatever app you use for file handling.
That sounds like a bug, I'll check into that

fluffycat420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does anyone know if this supports any 3dsx arguments? I had an idea to make a custom homebrew launcher but with 3dsx for a bunch of different c64 games.

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Badda are you open for suggestions for QOL improvements for Vice64?
It is the most used app on my N3DSxL these days. I am a prisoner of my sprained ankle, confined to the couch. It is really the best implementation of a legacy home computer emulation I have seen, and I am having so much fun. Put hours into Falcon Patrol II and Jumpman, and I managed to complete Pitfall II and Avenger - The Way of the Tiger II - and am currently flying through Fort Apocalypse.
And I have been taking notes :)

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
@Badda are you open for suggestions for QOL improvements for Vice64?
It is the most used app on my N3DSxL these days. I am a prisoner of my sprained ankle, confined to the couch. It is really the best implementation of a legacy home computer emulation I have seen. And I have been taking notes :)
Haha, sure - but I cannot promise anything. Not so much time left currently :sad:
Oh, and the bug you reported with the missing directory is fixed with https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/commit/3060d8fcc33873f57a64d25de3190336af4e177d

xxangelxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Badda can you fix true drive emulation, with autostart disk image from Gamebase and it is off, the games dosent work, becaue it is not possible to switch true drive on.

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
@Badda can you fix true drive emulation, with autostart disk image from Gamebase and it is off, the games dosent work, becaue it is not possible to switch true drive on.
Yeah, some games in gamebase64 database have wrong info about game requirements like PAL/NTSC, Truedrive necessary or not or Joyport 1/2. To ignore this info when starting a game and prevent the launcher to set these settings automatically, press <START> before launching a game from gamebase64 laucher. This will turn off automatic mode setting. This way, you can enable true drive before starting gamebase64 launcher and true drive will remain enabled even if a game says "TDE: no" ...
Hope this helps

Reactions: CrashMidnick

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Random question: is this the best way to play C64 games on a handheld? With a N3DS I mean. Would an old netbook be better?
Well, I have plowed through a dozen C64 titles the last week as I was stuck to my couch with a sprained ankle. I'd say the N3DS is the optimal handheld way.

First of all, the pixely low res graphics of the C64 looks excellent on the N3DS XL display.
Second, the lower screen acting as a control panel and virtual keyboard makes life a lot easier because many games uses keypresses to compensate for the C64s ridiculous 1-button joystick.

I got into C64 emulation a decade ago, but never really bothered with the games. But going handheld means I actually have completed several now: Karateka, Pitfall II, Jetset Willy, Lunar Outpost, Ghettoblaster, and I am enjoying it a lot.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all <snip> because many games uses keypresses to compensate for the C64s ridiculous 1-button joystick.

First of all, do you have any clue how old the C64 is? The C64 joystick you speak of happens to be an ATARI joystick. It was the only thing available. It was pretty damn thoughtful of them to not use a proprietary controller.

I usually had a second controller on the ground so I could press the fire button with my toe… to throw a grenade in Commando and such…

Yea this 3ds port is extremely nice 😊

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: anotherthing

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Haha, sure - but I cannot promise anything. Not so much time left currently :sad:
Oh, and the bug you reported with the missing directory is fixed with https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/commit/3060d8fcc33873f57a64d25de3190336af4e177d
Thanks that was a quick fix. I will wait for the next release and make sure to be careful when deleting folders :)

Here is a list of the QoL improvements mostly to how Vice64 3DS handles files and settings.

1. Automatically append filetype (.xyz) to filenames entered by the user when using Save Snapshot Image, Save Settings to so they are always appended with the correct type, making it easier to find them. It can be either automatically added on Return, or prefilled in the text box as a suggestion for the file name.
  2. Add a filtering option to the file listing of Autostart Image, Load Snapshot Image, Load Settings From so it filters only on relevant file extensions (.T64, D64, CRT, VSF etc). Button press to cycle between filter on X, show all.
  3. Save Settings to should open file browser in same directory as the last T64, D64 or CRT image attached, or last directory saved to instead of root SD.
  4. Add setting for a default directory for each of the attach, load, save based functions. Today it just defaults to Root of SD.
  5. Move the setting Datasette device toggle to Tape menu where the other tape control options are, or move the Tape controls to the Tape Port Devices menu under Machine Settings. Right now you must go to one menu to activate the Tape Device when it inexplicably disables itself, then back out and go into the Tape Menu to actually Pres Play on Tape.
  6. Add an option to load and save key layouts independently of machine settings. Game like Spy Hunter requires two joysticks, other games like Finders Keepers require just one joystick but four keyboard inputs. Remapping per game is time consuming, and the save load settings is also a bit hard to keep track of.
Also, I am chasing down one bug, the Tape Device turns itself off now and then. Not sure why, I suspect it is when I have used the Autolaunch button to load certain images. Still investigating.
Post automatically merged:

First of all, do you have any clue how old the C64 is? The C64 joystick you speak of happens to be an ATARI joystick. It was the only thing available. It was pretty damn thoughtful of them to not use a proprietary controller.

I usually had a second controller on the ground so I could press the fire button with my toe… to throw a grenade in Commando and such…

Yea this 3ds port is extremely nice 😊
OF course. I had both the VIC-20 and the C64 back in the day. But there were already multi-button solutions back then, and the pinout of the Joyport actuall has two more signals you could have used for that. They could've if they would've :)

My friend has Spy Hunter for christmas, and if I don't remember wrong, there was some sort of gizmo for strapping to joysticks together so you could use two buttons. But he had only one joystick, so not sure if it would've helped.

Last edited by tacticurn,

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
Ho Badda! Is there a way to map any specific key to some 3DS controller buttons? (Ex: Using L/R/ZR/ZL to map any keyborard key)
Sure, just open vice menu (press <SELECT>), choose "Key and commands", then "Add key mapping (key -> key)", then press the 3DS controller button, then the key on the soft keyboard, then wait 5 seconds. To save the settings go to "Settings Management" and then "Save current settings"

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can anyone let me know if it is possible to set the Expanded Screen Size of Vice64 3DS to match the aspect ratio of the C64? It seems to stretch a bit compared to the original aspect ratio of the typical '83 CRT that we used to show our C64 on.

I messed around with the size settings, but it wasn't possible to get it to cut the height at the border, but leave the width alone.

I assume that the correct aspect ratio is reached by 'narrowing' the image on the 3DS (which is a lot wider than a C64). Any help?

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Something weird. On my o3ds, I can quickload tap files, but crt cartridges produce an instant crash.
Tested in a fresh new installation.
I'm quite sure that my crt files worked well in previuous versions of the emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone