New Virtual Boy emulator "Red Viper" for 3DS released with full 3D support

Screenshot from 2024-02-26 13-15-02.png

The Nintendo 3DS is already past its prime, both in life-cycle and its homebrew scene, and while its homebrew scene still continues to be strong to this day, many people have moved away from it and are instead focusing on the Nintendo Switch.

While the 3DS did get its fair share of emulators from previous Nintendo consoles, even up to a Nintendo 64 emulator with DaedalusX64-3DS, one specific console from Nintendo's history of failures is the Virtual Boy, and given the 3DS feature of playing games in actual 3D, it was a lost opportunity for Nintendo not to capitalize on the success of the 3DS' 3D technology to revive the Virtual Boy in its full 3D glory, without the headaches of the actual red-lenses visor that the original Virtual Boy was known for.

Despite the Virtual Boy's failure, some people are still interested in it, and 10 years ago, a user by the name of mrdanielps worked on an initial Virtual Boy for the 3DS, titled r3Ddragon. The project itself was more of a WIP, and it never got developed further, until today.

@Floogle continued the work that mrdanielps originally made for r3Ddragon, now titled "Red Viper", and has managed to make the entire 22 games library of the Virtual Boy at full speed, and not only that, but Floogle also added the feature to play the games in proper 3D, utilizing the 3DS' 3D upper screen for this achievement, effectively making the Virtual Boy revival that many wanted since the inception of the 3DS and its homebrew scene.

The full features of the Red Viper emulator for 3DS include the following:
  • All officially licensed games are playable at full speed, even on the original 3DS
  • 3D support
  • Game saves are supported
  • Map either the A/B buttons or the right D-Pad to the face buttons, with the other being on the touch screen
  • New 3DS C-Stick is also supported
  • Configurable face button mapping
  • Configurable color filter
Floogle also lists possible future additions to the emulator:
  • Support for PCM samples
  • Savestates
  • Homebrew support
  • Circle Pad Pro support
  • Button controls for menu
  • More versatile color filter
  • A forwarder to allow loading a specific game from the home menu
Those interested in trying out the emulator and discussing it can do so at the GBATemp's release thread for the project by Floogle.

:arrow: Red Viper Release Thread on GBATemp
:arrow: Red Viper GitHub Repository

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just tried it out with a couple games. It's really a missed opportunity for Nintendo to have released these games as virtual console downloads on the 3ds.

The red lines are still a little harsh on the eyes, but as soon as you change the color to a light blue, it feels much more relaxing to look at. I may finally take the time to beat wario world this time.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is even in the news forum at mameworld now, and not by a random person either. When you catch their attention, you've hit the "big time" lol

EDIT: Oh, crap. Just pulled out my N3DS to give this a go... and the battery is swelled up. I have to buy a new battery. :O

Last edited by urherenow,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow, i have always wanted to give virtual boy games a try, and it happens i have recently acquired a 3ds system. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of games i want to play

hitfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've only played VirtualBoy once--at a Blockbuster Video store in the 1990s. While it was kind of interesting, I thought that the form factor of sticking your head inside in a fixed position while the VB sat on a surface to be constricting in some ways.

Obviously, the Nintendo 3DS was the realization of what the Virtual Boy aspired to be (I love its 3D effect). But I always wondered if there were VB titles that were ported to the 3DS, but it appears there were none. But now we have an actual emulator for this failed and forgotten console. I'm definitely going to install and try out this emulator.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disappointed Nintendo never brought Virtual Boy games to the 3DS when it was such a great fit.
Thanks to this work we now know it would have been perfect.

Really enjoying this emulator, it is so nice to easily play these games in 3D without any glasses or the like.
I have noticed voice samples in games aren't playing so looking forward to future updates.

Might not be possible but I'd hope retroachivements could be implemented somehow.

More so some color enhancements of any sort would be very nice to see.
Maybe could get the color palette to change on stage changes or other triggers.
Perhaps there might be a way to use multiple palettes split across the screen like ZX Spectrum sorta looked.

Either way it's really great to play them this way.

Looking forward to seeing homebrew run better.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sensitive to red nor I ever tried the consolo myself, but I 100% agree on what they say on the Virtual Boy and the fact it's dangerous for health.
So, what you are saying is that you have no clue what you are talking about, but still somehow think you know that it is bad.
Way to go spouting nonsense.

It never was a health issue on the original VB to begin with. The jarring part was getting out of the low light conditions into a fully lit environment. Just like waking up and then someone turning all lights on at a 100%.

Great system to play on, with just a few nice games, but the Wario Land game is a gem and now way more accessible to people thanks to Floogle.

• Love

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, what you are saying is that you have no clue what you are talking about, but still somehow think you know that it is bad.
Way to go spouting nonsense.

It never was a health issue on the original VB to begin with. The jarring part was getting out of the low light conditions into a fully lit environment. Just like waking up and then someone turning all lights on at a 100%.

Great system to play on, with just a few nice games, but the Wario Land game is a gem and now way more accessible to people thanks to Floogle.
Oh yeah? I know this thing gives headaches. How in the hell are you telling me I'm blabbering nonsensical stuff?

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh yeah? I know this thing gives headaches. How in the hell are you telling me I'm blabbering nonsensical stuff?
How do you know that? Because people are just parroting each other? It really doesn't, and I can know since I have used it for hours non stop. The notion it would give you head aches was just thrown into the world even before it was released.

This kind of behavior is what will make the world go poof one day. You are providing something as a fact, without proof or even experience lol. Hope your job isn't anything analytical :)

Last edited by Koldur,
  • Angry
Reactions: SDA

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do you know that? Because people are just parroting each other? It really doesn't, and I can know since I have used it for hours non stop. The notion it would give you head aches was just thrown into the world even before it was released.

This kind of behavior is what will make the world go poof one day. You are providing something as a fact, without proof or even experience lol. Hope your job isn't anything analytical :)
Well I hope you get eye strain from using it.

• Haha
Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well I hope you get eye strain from using it.
Bro, virtual boy isn't dangerous, but some people could he sensitive to it. It it gave you headaches or you're sensitive to something, that doesn't have to apply on everyone.
Even watching tv is bad for some people if there are flashing scenes. It can give them seizures.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bro, virtual boy isn't dangerous, but some people could he sensitive to it. It it gave you headaches or you're sensitive to something, that doesn't have to apply on everyone.
Even watching tv is bad for some people if there are flashing scenes. It can give them seizures.
Even Nintendo was aware of what this system can do to health, and they put a timer to take a break every 15 minutes of playing.

But even then, it was NOT ENOUGH!

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yes, the same snowflakes which get nausea from using the 3d on 3ds
Post automatically merged:

Even Nintendo was aware of what this system can do to health, and they put a timer to take a break every 15 minutes of playing.

But even then, it was NOT ENOUGH!
30minutes

VassagoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Virtual Boy without the migraine? I'm in.

I actually have a Virtual Boy. Was pretty surprised to find out how much my copy of Jack Bros was worth. I loved the game, but damn.

I didn't often have any problems playing for hours. It was the rare occurrence honestly.

• Haha

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it out with a couple games. It's really a missed opportunity for Nintendo to have released these games as virtual console downloads on the 3ds.

The red lines are still a little harsh on the eyes, but as soon as you change the color to a light blue, it feels much more relaxing to look at. I may finally take the time to beat wario world this time.

Gunpei wanted to have the same automatic moving mirror design from the famicom 3D but Nintendo said it was too expensive...so he quit after that because his name was attached to that atrocity. Then he started to pick up steam with the Wonderswan with Bandai and then died

Reactions: titan_tim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BunnyPinkie, Like Dinoh said, maybe PM a supervisor to help out.