Hacking I'm thinking of getting (got) a PSP, but......

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkStriker said:
kevan said:
After you hack it, format the Memory card and there will be an ISO folder.
Games go there.
Or manually create the folder and the games can still be there.
Or that
tongue.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually that's not a newer motherboard so you can use a Pandora and use the CIPL to install a CFW. In essence you can run just about any CFW you want from around 3.71. You just can't make your own Pandora battery via Softmod.
You don't need to use 6.20 if you don't wish to as you can make any of the more recent firmwares permanent.

ISO's go in X:\ISO\game.iso
Homebrews/emulators go in X:\PSP\GAME\Homebrew folder\homebrew eboot.pbp

Formatting a memory stick should create the correct folder hierarchy.

I'm not familiar with that bundle but it strikes me that it may have been reshelled...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
OK, I got a 2000.....it's a Transformers bundle version, so it's dark red and has a Transformers logo on the UMD door and also says "Transformers" in the bottom-right of the front. I bought this one instead of the standard black one because I read somewhere that the bundled ones are usually the older motherboard and that's what I'm hoping it has.......gonna check that one tester program and will report back......As Xist and the picture point out it's an older one, you're good. It's TA-088 v2 and above you need to worry about, TA-085 models are fine.

Rayder said:
I did buy a memory stick....a 4GB (they didn't have any 8 or 16GB ones) It's a Sandisk 4GB, hope that's good enough for now. When I look at the memory card, it just looks like a miniSD stuck inside a longer casing....strange.So they don't sell any actual Memory Sticks? That's a MicroSD inside an adapter. While they are functional, they may have some downsides and aren't always recommended.

Rayder said:
Bought a cable to connect it to the PC and bought one cheap UMD game (Burnout Legends).Yay burnout!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what CFW can I go up to? Might as well have latest CFW that can be made permanent.

Anyway, just got a Tekken 6 iso.....seemed to run fine. Gonna go suck up some other games.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
6.60 PROB9 is the latest highest firmware release but offers little in the way of additional features.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You can go up to 6.60 and use it's CIPL flasher to make it permanent too. You'll want to shut the PSP fully off and hold SELECT while starting it to boot into OFW, then you can run the 6.60 update and hack it and then use the CIPL tool.

There's not much of a difference between the 6.x versions anyways, I've stuck to 6.20 for lack of an actual reason to go up to 6.60... but I guess now's a good of a time as any to check it out so I at least know how that tool works.

EDIT: And it's as simple as it seems, but I'll still recommend 6.20 for permanent in the sticky since it's safer for new users.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the biggest memory card size possible? I saw a 32GB one at Newegg for $95.

Anyway, have acquired these games so far:
Tekken 6
Wipeout Pulse
Silent Hill Origins
Pursuit Force Extreme Justice

and am in the process of acquiring God of War Chains of Olympus

Will need a bigger memory card.......

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
95 dollars is a bit overpriced. My friend got one for around 80 dollars... don't remember where...

If you don't care about 15 bucks, go for it. It's a good deal nonetheless.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't opt for a stick that large. If you want the largest stick with overall decent speeds for read and write then look for a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II PRO DUO (or the PRO-HG range).

Honestly i think given the performance issues that people can have with memory speed (plugins, games, emulators, file transfer) going as big as possible is self defeating.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Rayder, you may want to take a look at the emus in the PSP scene:

GPSP (GBA EMU runs nearly all games at 100% plus it has tv out put if you plan on buying a tvout cable later)

SNES9X TYL ME (it must be ME because it uses the Media Engine [which is, the second CPU the psp has for media purposes], and its a SNES emu.)

My favorite, MVSPSP a MVS console/arcade emu (neogeo) so you can play nearly all KOF series & etc.

Oh, and make sure you do a good read about popsloader, because it allows you to play imported PS1 games natively

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
pops does that, which is an integral part of PSP firmware.

popsloader merely increases compatibility options.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now, I've been trying to find games that cater to my particular tastes......racers, action, fighting, arcade, horror, 3D-space-battle and action adventure.

Got about 20 PSP games so far (no time to list them now, got to go to bed for work in the morning) I figure I'll get into the emu's after I get a bigger memory stick and sort out the better PSP games.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're searching, then using the PSP section of Gamefaqs and slowly narrowing down by Genre types and region is useful.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
If you're searching, then using the PSP section of Gamefaqs and slowly narrowing down by Genre types and region is useful.

Heh yep, that's what I've been doing.

Just bought a high speed 8GB locally. 4GB just wasn't enough. I WILL get a 32GB eventually.

So, do they make anything that will let you store extra mem cards ON the PSP somehow....like maybe a dummy UMD (it's not like I'm really ever going to use the UMD drive anyway) that will hold a couple mem sticks?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I know it's not what you want but i have this

The closest to what you describe is this but i've never ever seen anyone using one and am unsure it it'd work on anything other than a 1000 (the door redesign is small but it *may* interfere?)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've recently bought a PSP-2000 (02g) and paired it with the hailed PhotoSmart CR-5400 (twin-slots baby, hawww yeah!) adapter plus 2x Sandisk 8Gb (altogether 16 gigs, on Amazon for... circa $20) and I can't say I'm complaining. It's fast, reliable, it has high capacity and the adapter itself costs only a buck or two so I can get a new one anytime I want if this breaks, although I doubt I'll ever need to remove it from the console.

The only problem with 2000's is the lack of a built-in microphone, but you still *can* get headphones with one if you're desperate to get a pair for Skype or whatever. It's a good trade-in for nearly 100% hack-abillity, a TV out, slim looks and sexy 64 Gigs of RAM.

If you're desperate to buy one WITH a mic, go for the Go (see what I did thar?). 3000's are tricky from what I know, but if you read up on how to recognize which are hackable and which aren't, you'll be fine. Rydian made a cool guide about hacking nearly all PSP's - a good read for a newbie in the PSP town.

As far as memory expansion is concerned, *32Gb is TOPS for 200x, 300x and the Go, for the 100x's I believe it was 16Gb unless firmware updates fixed the issue.*

Recommended first homebrews - Go!Tube, Netfront 4 Beta (HMM Mod)
Recommended Plugins - Mp3Player Lite (by Plum), RemoteJoy, POPSloader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So are you playing Mario on your Xbox online on that PlayStation Network?
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, new Doctor Who is on tomorrow... Hopefully this season is better than the last.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, never watched doctor who
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well guys, i went to the library today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What did you learn?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    since my sister said manga was a good gateway into anime, i decided to get a manga, i was going to get one punch man, but volume 1 wasn't there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out. @BigOnYa
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1