Hacking I'm thinking of getting (got) a PSP, but......

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
OK then. MicroSD Adapters aren't reliable.

Better? Did you get your info from a rather large, yet vapid, PSP ISO site? If so no wonder it's a bit awry.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I got the "opinions" from dashhacks, which I keep in high regard as far as the PSP is concerned, among others.

Never had any problems with the adapter whatsoever - more capacity for less while being just about as fast is always a good thing. Try the 5400 before you judge it.
wink.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I own one, I have tried one, and i daresay i had one a long time before you. And to say they're just as fast is ludicrous as they take an age opening sub sections on the XMB because of the Magic Gate checks and loading them with content takes an eternity. The weight of opinion against the reliability of those adapters eclipses those who've never had a problem.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Foxi4 said:
I got the "opinions" from dashhacks, which I keep in high regard as far as the PSP is concerned, among others.

Never had any problems with the adapter whatsoever - more capacity for less while being just about as fast is always a good thing. Try the 5400 before you judge it.
wink.gif

I'm pretty sure he has. I have one myself but I don't use it as my Sandisk tends to be faster.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
xist said:
I own one, I have tried one, and i daresay i had one a long time before you. And to say they're just as fast is ludicrous as they take an age opening sub sections on the XMB because of the Magic Gate checks and loading them with content takes an eternity. The weight of opinion against the reliability of those adapters eclipses those who've never had a problem.

So far I used two and I did notice performance differences between them, so I suppose you're right - it is a matter of luck. I also noticed that the "complete" set will work as slow as the slowest SD in the set, rather then "either slow or fast, depending on which one of the SD's is in-use", which should not be the case in a RAID setup which it's mimicing.

In any case, dare I say, it's a low-cost solution IMO, I prefere to have higher capacity then to have my games boot 1 second quicker.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And i, and many others, prefer reliability over random chances of corruption and failure.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Jesus saves. And makes backups of his save files, like everyone should. you've got the exact same chances of files getting corrupt in both cases - it's the same protocol.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least the 8GB I bought yesterday was an actual Sony Memory-Stick-PRO-HG Duo. It says something about "up to 50 MB/s" read speed. Too bad it doesn't fix the skipping vids on CSO's though.

I think all that Transformers stuff on my PSP is just some type of elaborate skin. I noticed one of the pieces was out of place on the backside. I was able to peel it up and re-align it in place. They are fairly thick pieces of plastic with that glueless sort of way of sticking to the PSP. The PSP itself is black.

Ok, here's a question, is it normal for ISO games to occasionally act like the X button is being pressed when it wasn't? Basically, it's un-pausing itself sometimes, or (like in GoW) the character jumps without my input. This issue seems intermittent, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. The button doesn't feel mushy or anything, it feels like all the other buttons. It only seems to do it in ISO games (and just had it happen in the recovery menu...dumped me back to PSP standard menus). I'm just wondering if it's a common occurrence with hacked PSP's or should I be jamming it back to the store with my 1-year warranty in hand.

Maybe some setting that can be altered to make it stop doing that? Or some other simple fix that a PSP newb wouldn't know about?

How about the best recovery mode settings to use for CFW 6.20 PRO-B9?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No that's not normal, and it's either down to a replacement case or some form of hardware damage (liquid or a fall)). Try a button tester to see if that shows up any ghost button presses.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I didn't think so. If it keeps doing it, I'm gonna jam it back to Gamestop for an exchange. Just hope that if I do that, I get another PSP that's perma-hackable.

I maxed out all cache settings in the Recovery Menu, as well as maxing the CPU speed for games and setting the "Memory stick speedup" to enabled. Something I changed seemed to fix the stuttering in vids for CSO'd games....probably that mem stick speedup.

What's up with that "ISO Mode" setting? There is Inferno, M33 Driver and Sony NP9660......which is best to use? It's currently at "Inferno".

Like I said, some recommendations for the Recovery Mode settings would be appreciated.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Yeah, I didn't think so. If it keeps doing it, I'm gonna jam it back to Gamestop for an exchange. Just hope that if I do that, I get another PSP that's perma-hackable.

I maxed out all cache settings in the Recovery Menu, as well as maxing the CPU speed for games and setting the "Memory stick speedup" to enabled. Something I changed seemed to fix the stuttering in vids for CSO'd games....probably that mem stick speedup.

What's up with that "ISO Mode" setting? There is Inferno, M33 Driver and Sony NP9660......which is best to use? It's currently at "Inferno".

Like I said, some recommendations for the Recovery Mode settings would be appreciated.
I think the M33 Driver has the best compatibility. Yeah the mem speedup in the Recovery Menu is what did the trick its great. I suggest downloading OFW on your PSP and returning it to Gamestop and replace it seems like yours is broken.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no "best" ISO driver as a widely accepted choice, although generally the Sony np9660 performs optimally it's not always the case. Generally i'd suggest leaving it on Inferno or Sony and if you have any issues switching to another.

It was probably a combination of MS speed up all the time and increased clock speed that remedied the CSO's. If you're compressing them yourself from ISO's you could also reduce the amount of compression you're using.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just install OFW 6.20 over top of the 6.20 CFW?

Funny thing, I played some GoW and Pursuit Force for about an hour last night without issue, then suddenly, the X button start spazzing in the Recovery Menu. Never did it in the keytester program though. Go figure.

But yeah, I'm gonna abuse that one year extended GS warranty until I get one that works correctly.

I'm gonna have to complain about the Power-up card too.....I paid for the pro version, then online it says my card has already been registered and won't let me activate it. Geez, I really hate Gamestop.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Rayder said:
So I just install OFW 6.20 over top of the 6.20 CFW?
Yeah, if it doesn't work though because you're already on 6.20, any higher OFW will do.
(Yesterday I went from 6.20 PRO Perma straight to 6.60)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend not changing the ISO cache settings from default. But yeah, the Memory Stick Speedup option is nice and actually makes a difference. If CSOs still give you an issue you can try converting them to plain ISO again and they should still be smaller than the original since the update folder and such is ripped out automatically when converting to CSO... or you could re-convert to CSO with less-heavy compression settings.

CFW will not allow an OFW install to take place under normal circumstances. Hold Select while booting the PSP to boot it into OFW.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In reality, does it really matter if I leave the CFW in it? GS employees likely won't give a crap, will they?

And if I get a replacement PSP and it has higher than 6.20 in it, will I still be able to install CFW 6.20 in it?

EDIT: Got to go to work, but I can use just that "hold select" method to go to OFW 6.20, then let it WiFi update to whatever it wants before I take it back?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They might be told to not take it if there's hacking evidence since it's cheaper for them to NOT do it. You can boot into clean 6.20 and then update it to remove any hacking evidence.

The later PSP 3000 models (the ones being sold as new nowadays) cannot be downgraded to 6.20, but every Slim (2000) can, regardless of "fully-hackable motherboard" or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte