Hacking I'm thinking of getting (got) a PSP, but......

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...how can I be sure I get one that can definitely be hacked to play PSP/PS1 backups? (homebrew is actually secondary to my purposes at this point) The local Gamestop's around me all say they have PSP 1/2/3000's and the GO for sale used and/or refurbished, but which one should I get? I know the 1000 is the most easily hacked, but the 2/3000's have the more preferred hardware......brighter screens with better refresh rates, more/faster memory, etc. For my particular use, even the GO could be a possibility, it if can be fully hacked. The way I intend to use it, the UMD drive would be mostly useless anyway.
smileipb2.png

Yeah, I'm a total PSP noob. I've only ever played Tekken 6 on a PSP once. But anyone here that knows me knows I won't stay a noob for long. I learn that which interests me pretty quickly.
cool.gif

On the 2000's, is there a way to tell if it has the older or newer motherboard in it just by looking at the unit?

Can the 3000 and GO be fully hacked without it being that half-byte loader deal that you have to initiate every time you boot?

What FW revision should I stay at or under to improve my chance of success in hacking it? (I do know how to check what FW a PSP is currently running)

As a totally new potential PSP owner, what accessories would I need to get in order to hack it? Anything beyond memory carts and maybe a pandora battery? I assume the PSP comes with all the cables I'd need to hook it to a PC, right?

If I buy a used/refurb unit, what things should I watch out for that could be wrong with a used PSP that may not be as obvious as things like dead pixels and scratches?

Does hacking the PSP negate my ability to use PSN......not for online gaming (I don't care about that), but for their other services?

I have looked at the hacking stickies and have a general idea of what I need to do in order to hack it, but I'd like some suggestions on how to go about getting a PSP that CAN be hacked before I go rushing out to buy one. An unhackable PSP would be quite useless to me.

I'd even be willing to buy an already hacked PSP from someone here, if anyone has one to sell. But it has to be a fully functional unit (no dead pixels or mushy buttons) with all the cables and stuff and ready for me to dump my ISO's onto a memory card and commence playing. The original box and manuals don't matter.

Any pointers on all this would be very helpful. I don't want to get burned with an unhackable PSP or have to use that half-ass/byte loader deal. I want it to "just work" and not hassle me about running backups.

I do realize that when it comes to the PSP, most of my questions are not as easy to answer as I might think, but that's why I'm asking these questions, because there are variables I need to consider and I need to know what those variables are before I run out and get me a PSP. I don't want to get stuck with (what would be to me) an unhackable piece of junk.

I got a blank 500GB drive on my network just waiting for some content. I'm thinking PSP/PS1 ISO's.
tpi.gif

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every PSP can be hacked, with the caveat the the very latest 3000s (& the psp street) can only have temporary custom firmware installed. But even that isn't a big deal, it just means you have to load up fast recovery on each cold boot, it only takes a few seconds.

On the 2000 you have to run PSPident to find out see this thread.

Both the 3000 and Go can be fully hacked, even the latest 3000s are fully hacked, like i said, you just have to wait a few seconds each cold boot.

You can check the firmware under System Settings-->System Information, and it doesn't really matter what firmware, just go with 6.20 if you want permanent or 6.60 for temporary. (older PSPs, the 1000s and some 2000s can even permanently install 6.60 and up using CIPL flasher (might have spelled that wrong)).

You don't need a pandora battery, just a cable to hook up with your PC and move some files, and if you're using a PSP GO you don't even need a memory stick (you can use the GO's internal memory). The most recent hacks are all software based.

Not sure about what to look for, i bought a refurbished PSP GO on ebay and it works fine.

You can fully use PSN with all of the 6.x hacks (PRO, ME).

Again, doesn't matter what you get, just whichever one has the most appealing hardware.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One thing to watch out for is my used PSP 2002 didn't come with usb cable.
Make sure you have one of them for the hack! And transfer of data.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify...

The whole 2000/3000 motherboard
issue is dead and does not matter
with the new hacks.

Rayder said:
...how can I be sure I get one that can definitely be hacked to play PSP/PS1 backups?Buy any PSP RIGHT NOW, before Sony releases a later update.

Yes, even the Go on the latest firmware will play PS1 and PSP games and homebrew.

Rayder said:
The local Gamestop's around me all say they have PSP 1/2/3000's and the GO for sale used and/or refurbished, but which one should I get? I know the 1000 is the most easily hacked, but the 2/3000's have the more preferred hardware......brighter screens with better refresh rates, more/faster memory, etc. For my particular use, even the GO could be a possibility, it if can be fully hacked. The way I intend to use it, the UMD drive would be mostly useless anyway.
smileipb2.png
Not all 3000 models can have a permanent hack (note to others; I don't consider the 6.20 faking to be safe enough to suggest right now), so if you get a PSP 3000 that came with firmware 6.30 or higher on it, you're stuck with a temporary hack... though it's actually a very minor issue to simply run one program and wait a few seconds for the hack to take effect each time you reset the system (sleep mode is okay), some people really care. If you don't care, grab whatever you want, anything that exists publicly right now can run the latest hack in the temporary state.

The UMD drive is still useful for dumping your discs initially, it's simple.

Rayder said:
On the 2000's, is there a way to tell if it has the older or newer motherboard in it just by looking at the unit?Doesn't matter anymore.

Rayder said:
Can the 3000 and GO be fully hacked without it being that half-byte loader deal that you have to initiate every time you boot?The Go yes, many 3000s yes, some 3000s no... but it's NOT half-byte loader, it's a proper LCFW that gives you all the benefits, you only lose the hacked state if you turn the power totally off (sleep mode is okay).

Rayder said:
What FW revision should I stay at or under to improve my chance of success in hacking it? (I do know how to check what FW a PSP is currently running)In the very left-hand menu go to the system settings and system information.

Right now the latest firmware (6.60) is hackable and you can even downgrade it to 6.20 if you want a permanent hack that works on all models 6.20 works on... but the PSP has to have come with 6.20 or less on it initially.

QUOTE(Rayder @ Sep 18 2011, 12:48 AM) As a totally new potential PSP owner, what accessories would I need to get in order to hack it? Anything beyond memory carts and maybe a pandora battery? I assume the PSP comes with all the cables I'd need to hook it to a PC, right?
1 - PSP.
2 - Memory Stick.
3 - Connector cable.

PSPs don't always come with the memory stick, and I'm not sure on the cable, it may depend.

QUOTE(Rayder @ Sep 18 2011, 12:48 AM)
If I buy a used/refurb unit, what things should I watch out for that could be wrong with a used PSP that may not be as obvious as things like dead pixels and scratches?
It is possible through hacking methods to fuck up a PSP's wireless access, PSN access, and UMD drive operability. This isn't really an issue now, but was an issue in dealing with the older hacks (it looks like I've locked my PSP out of PSN with all the fucking around I've done to make the guides, for example).

QUOTE(Rayder @ Sep 18 2011, 12:48 AM)
Does hacking the PSP negate my ability to use PSN......not for online gaming (I don't care about that), but for their other services?
The current 6.x hacks can access PSN properly.

Do me a favor and read through the FAQ here after reading this, and tell me if there's anything you wanted to know that's not in there or wasn't explained properly so I can add/re-word/hump it, since yeah, a lot of the explanations aren't simple things.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch Rydian (and the others who responded). You were more than helpful. So, it's looking like I should get a 2000 or a GO. I'll probably go with the 2000 just to maintain the ability to run UMD's. I do so like my backwards compatibility and there is always the possibility that I may actually buy a UMD game here-and-there, however unlikely. But if I DO buy a UMD game, and it's not already dumped, well....I can't help but to give to the community, you know what I mean? That's just the way my generous nature works.

I just figure that if I get (and hack) a PSP, it will at least continue my relevance here at GBAtemp and expand the areas in which I can be helpful to others.....in my special, no-nonsense way. Not to mention giving me some games to play that are a little less kiddie than what the DS offers. Don't get me wrong, the DS DOES have some good games on it (especially when you consider the homebrew and emulators available for it), but the general age demographic is a little younger than I anticipated. I bought into the DS at it's launch assuming it would have the same mix of games that the GBA had, but it didn't. The PSP has some of the missing genres that I preferred in gaming, such as fighting games, decent racers and a few badass action games.

Truth be told, I SHOULD actually be looking for a nice gaming laptop, but I figure a hacked PSP would ultimately be a lot cheaper. I'm a gamer, I can't deny it. Just because the types of (decidedly old-school) games I LIKE are rare these days, doesn't mean I don't still play games. I like an eclectic variety of games and I think the PSP will cater to that. The DS sure didn't. I'm probably one of the few people on this Earth who thinks the DS was a major disappointment.

Question, how much better (or worse) is the PSP web-browser compared to the DS lite web-browser? Do we get any Flash on the PSP? How about Java? GBAtemp's pron section is quite expansive and the DS was painfully slow at loading the pics.
tongue.gif
Will the PSP load that stuff up any faster?

After what I just read here, I'm probably going to go out and get a PSP 2000 or GO tomorrow, most likely the 2000. I know I SHOULD continue saving money to get my car (Dodge Neon) fixed, it needs like 2 thousand dollars in repairs (struts, tires, some electrical debugging, front brakes, etc) and it does have a rolling advertisement for GBAtemp on it in the form of a bumper sticker, but man am I bored on the weekends. I can drive my brother's car (big luxurious Chevy Lumina) back and forth to work. I need some games to play and the DS ain't cutting it. I only played Tekken 6 on PSP one time, but I sure did enjoy that game. I'm sure there are many other games on PSP that a person like me (with unusual gaming tastes) will like. I always have been a person who loves games that others think are "meh" while hating the games most people rave about.

I just hope everyone is as helpful tomorrow when I'm in the middle of hacking my PSP and possibly running into problems. Don't worry though, I WILL follow the FAQs and try not to bother anyone. But if I do run into any issues, Rydian looks like the goto guy.

At least I'll have something to do tomorrow that actually requires some modicum of thought......weekends have become the ultra-boredom.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The thing is Rydian's statement isn't wholly accurate. ("The whole 2000/3000 motherboard issue is dead and does not matter with the new hacks.") . If you somehow* kill your newer model 2000/3000/Go then it's dead and gone bar extreme hardware modification.

Ultimately your best bet is an early 2000 (easiest way to ensure this is by buying one of the limited edition bundles from a trader like the Vader or God of War PSP's)

The browser is what it is (not helpful i know), and showing it's age. I only ever use it in extreme measures when i have no other way to browse but it could be a lot worse. The fact it has tabs is nice too.
Here's an (old) overview, though i don't believe the official browser has ever had much in the way of updates.
http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/638/638179p1.html

*via customisation of some sort, file manipulation or bad luck.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I plan to get the extended warranty.....one year ought to do. So if I brick it while hacking it, back to the store it will go.
wink.gif

Just got up, so I'm letting the cobwebs clear a bit before I head out.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
even if newer psp models are fully hackables (3000+), a PSP 2000 TA088-V2 or less (and some TA090) will let you install a full cfw which means brick recovery possibilities, including do pandora battery (a hardware exploit which will let you run apps at low level), but this is for all the 1xxx & some 2xxx models.

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a 2000/300 v088 mobo, or a GO and you somehow manage to brick them, there is no repair.
There is no pandora for these. However, it's literally impossible to brick your PSP these days unless you're doing something really stupid.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to know your buying a PSP Rayder. I suggest you buy the 2000 instead of the Go, just because of the bigger screen trust me it matters... I personally have the PSP 1000 and I just hate its screen its to dark, and the colors aren't nice looking as they should be, I remember when i played Kingdom Hearts BBS on it , and then my friend came to my house and I popped in my BBS into his PSP 2000 and the difference was incredible, the screen of the PSP 2000 is just so much better and the colors just pop out and are amazingly nice.
For games I suggest you get, God of War Chains Of Olympus, and Ghost Of Sparta. Those 2 games are truly amazing and I know you would probably enjoy it. LittleBigPlanet is nice too.
As for your Internet Browser question I made a video a long time ago showing off the PSP browser comparing to the DSi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk6ak-K-lz0

Another suggestion for you is to NOT buy a Memory stick.... Those things are really expensive and are like 4x the price of a regular MicroSD. Instead I suggest you to buy PhotoFast CR-5400 I personally bought it from them and it worked perfectly till this day, had it for about 1 year.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't get an adapter as your first stick, if ever. Make sure you have at least one Pro Duo (a Sandisk 4GB stick would be a good choice). Adapter reliability is questionable and variable.

And honestly the screen isn't that different between the 1000 and 2000. Plus if i know Rayder at all his ports of call will be the emulators...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Not to mention giving me some games to play that are a little less kiddie than what the DS offers. Don't get me wrong, the DS DOES have some good games on it (especially when you consider the homebrew and emulators available for it), but the general age demographic is a little younger than I anticipated. I bought into the DS at it's launch assuming it would have the same mix of games that the GBA had, but it didn't. The PSP has some of the missing genres that I preferred in gaming, such as fighting games, decent racers and a few badass action games.

Truth be told, I SHOULD actually be looking for a nice gaming laptop, but I figure a hacked PSP would ultimately be a lot cheaper. I'm a gamer, I can't deny it. Just because the types of (decidedly old-school) games I LIKE are rare these days, doesn't mean I don't still play games. I like an eclectic variety of games and I think the PSP will cater to that. The DS sure didn't. I'm probably one of the few people on this Earth who thinks the DS was a major disappointment.Fully agreed here. I'm 24 and while the DS does have a lot of fun games, the PSP's more for me.

Rayder said:
Question, how much better (or worse) is the PSP web-browser compared to the DS lite web-browser?It's better to the point that it can load up normal pages and it more functional, but it's still rather crappy.

Rayder said:
Do we get any Flash on the PSP?Yes, but only an old version and performance is shit. No youtube.

Rayder said:
How about Java?In-browser Java no. There is a java interpreter or VM or something for the PSP and apparantly it can run some things, no experience with it.

Rayder said:
Will the PSP load that stuff up any faster?
The PSP's browser is better than the DS ones yes, but it's still an old mobile browser, so many sites aren't fully functional. It's good enough in a pinch, but text entry sucks so I wouldn't try to quote people on forums with it.

QUOTE(xist @ Sep 18 2011, 05:58 AM)
The thing is Rydian's statement isn't wholly accurate. ("The whole 2000/3000 motherboard issue is dead and does not matter with the new hacks.") . If you somehow* kill your newer model 2000/3000/Go then it's dead and gone bar extreme hardware modification.
I guess I should add something to the F.A.Q. about older models using pandora to recover from bricks.

QUOTE(xist @ Sep 18 2011, 04:08 PM)
Don't get an adapter as your first stick, if ever. Make sure you have at least one Pro Duo (a Sandisk 4GB stick would be a good choice). Adapter reliability is questionable and variable.
Agreed here. Buy an actual stick. They're not as expensive now as they used to be.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You actually can view flash videos sorta, like YouTube, or Megevideo, and other bunch of sites with GoTube!.
EDIT: I actually had a regular stick before a 2GB and it was terrible and went to the point of were it broke in 2 pieces. I also have a 1GB memory stick. That adapter is excellent though don't have any problems with it. Works really nicely. And as always you should backup your stuff every once in awhile.
Didn't know that memory sticks got cheaper too, last time I shopped for one was 2-3 years ago when I bought my 2GB one for $40. After that broke in a year I just bought the adapter and never had a problem with it.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Yeah but that's not part of the browser and not done through flash.

I'm still waiting on that GoTube! replacement to come out...
The current GoTube! doesn't work? Not really sure anymore last time I used my PSP was about 6-8 months ago.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I got a 2000.....it's a Transformers bundle version, so it's dark red and has a Transformers logo on the UMD door and also says "Transformers" in the bottom-right of the front. I bought this one instead of the standard black one because I read somewhere that the bundled ones are usually the older motherboard and that's what I'm hoping it has.......gonna check that one tester program and will report back......

I did buy a memory stick....a 4GB (they didn't have any 8 or 16GB ones) It's a Sandisk 4GB, hope that's good enough for now. When I look at the memory card, it just looks like a miniSD stuck inside a longer casing....strange.

Bought a cable to connect it to the PC and bought one cheap UMD game (Burnout Legends).

Battery was completely flat (I mean 0%) when I got it. Put it on charge while I cut the lawn. It's at 100% right now and being powered by the charger at the moment.

It says it has FW 6.20 in it right now.

I can do all the hacking stuff to it with it plugged in, right?

.......hmm....when I try to run PSPIdent 0.74 it says "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted." Further investigation tells me that I need to hack it before running PSPident. Off to the FAQs I go.....

...ok, installed the 6.20 Pro permanent according to Rydian's FAQ. It now says I have FW "6.20 PRO-B9", that was easy enough. (instructions were very clear)

Ran PSPident again, here's the report:

pspident_000.jpg

So apparently, it's a newer revision board and doesn't support a pandora battery. But does it really matter at this point? Just being able to run PSPident should mean it's properly hacked now, right? I can go and suck up some ISO's somewhere and enjoy?

Anything special I should know about running ISO's? Just stick them in the GAME folder or what?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.