Homebrew I think my 3DS is dying of CFW?

BillKout

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I homebrewd and then cfw'd my 3ds near july and it worked perfectly but lately,its been crashing and freezing at black screens and just doing that randomly and at one point it even deleted my fbi..i dont want it to die i only have it for not even a year :(

legoinventeor

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
some cias that are unstable can make a crash happen.
For example, I installed Ridge Racer 3D (USA) on my EU N3dsXL and it occasionally crashed.
But that is not the only reason. Maybe, leaving apps while loading may cause this too.
Although I do not think that this will Kill/brick your 3ds. From my experience, the worst thing that can happen is that your SD corrupts, and i was really messing with my 3ds, and even that was recoverable.

legoinventeor

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
what do you mean by leaving apps while loading?
Sometimes while some apps are writing data to the sd card they say "do not turn off the power". But the most frequent one I had was when apps like Freeshop freeze to start a download and I just leave out of impatience.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
like? pls halp

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

seriously tho can you tell me?
I can't help you because you haven't really given a lot of information. What do you have? A9LH? BSS? How did you hack it? What homebrew/cias did you install when this started happening? stuff like that would be helpful.

One likely cause could be that your MicroSD card is dying.

Last edited by dimmidice,
Reactions: Hopalongtom

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually when a system is "dying" it's not because of CFW, still people delete it or uninstall it, even tho CFW might be the only possibility of recovery.
yeah, people usually blame the only thing that can save them. cough "Jesus" cough. in this case it's CFW though. lol

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're having odd issues that never happened in the past, and especially if you come from hacking in the past, you can do a ctrnand transfer to fix any and all nand issues to give your system a fresh start again.

Pikachuk

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Usually when a system is "dying" it's not because of CFW, still people delete it or uninstall it, even tho CFW might be the only possibility of recovery.
usually what saves them is not the cfw but the bootloader, no ?
since the cfw is only the modified system while the booloader is the thing that allows to recover in case the system doesn't boot anymore

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usually what saves them is not the cfw but the bootloader, no ?
since the cfw is only the modified system while the booloader is the thing that allows to recover in case the system doesn't boot anymore
when we say cfw we're including b9s. I mean who has b9s without the cfw?

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I homebrewd and then cfw'd my 3ds near july and it worked perfectly but lately,its been crashing and freezing at black screens and just doing that randomly and at one point it even deleted my fbi..i dont want it to die i only have it for not even a year :(
Your issues are most likely the result of either a dying SD card or SD card reader. Try checking your card with H2testw, and/or use a new, good-quality SD card and see if you're still facing those issues.

IanCoolio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had similar things happen to my 3ds about a year and a half after CFWing it. It consistently crashed and black screened on startup, and for the longest time I thought it was all software related. I asked several people for help, gave as much info as possible, but it came down to being all hardware related. I eventually took it all apart, up to the touchscreen, then put it back together, and has worked perfectly since. It's a bit tedious and annoying, but if your problem is hardware related, it might work. Only problem is getting a 000 Philips screw. (Got mine at Walmart in a set for like $6)

D

Deleted-351540

Black screen crash? Does it show a lot of hex on one of the screens or say something along the lines of "errDisplay"?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...