Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Zkarts, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Zkarts
    OP

Zkarts Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    With the help of pleonex and the tools he created, we formed a team for an English translation of Ni no Kuni.

Proof of concept/Preview:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Project started before 2014.
    We're working on this right now. All that's left is to get through everything now!

Main translator, project reporter and coordinator : Anjiera

Progress updated January 9th 2017
    Text: 95.81% of the text translated (+16% since December 20th! :O)
    Edited: 13.49% (+0.02%), not moving noticeably, but we're narrowing our focus to areas that were translated before all the terms were nailed down so the % done is not accurate for what we'll consider a release-ready text
    Images: 99.99% (+4.5%), only one tricky image left to go, and then we have to check everything in-game to make sure there are no subtle glitches after image import

5% left for translation!
    Then there will be editor's phase to reinsert the text, and the full play through phase will start to verify the game is playable, fully translated and consistent.

March to summer 2017 update : Play testing and editing has started.
    No more progress %, last changes will be small and will not change the % a lot.
    This part includes last minutes bug fixing and full game replay to be sure everything is consistent (word choice, name consistency, menus and text length, etc.), this can take longer than expected for each new found issue will require spending time and dedication to fix and test again.

Progression for the past months

You can see how fast the project is progressing. Don't expect a release in next few days or weeks.
    This project is not dead, even if there's no new activity in that thread.

Link to the thread containing the other language translation projects.

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 17, 2017 - Reason: added some information about play testing
    Zense, DarthDub, seseiSeki and 74 others like this.

2. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Have you been in contact with that guy who was asking for tools in the other thread? I don't know how good his translation are but he at least seemed interesting (even if he did cause a bit of a stir).

Anyway, I took a quick glance over what has been translated so far and noticed some problems with the translation that should probably be fixed. Some examples out of the scripts I've looked at so far:

I'd probably suggest that the entire thing get looked over again if a serious translator does join the team.

Phoenix Goddess, raulpica and GHANMI like this.
  3. Zkarts
    OP

Zkarts Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    I have not contacted him, partly because he was convinced he'd just do the project by himself, although it's really gonna be a team effort with all the different aspects that we have to deal with, but that may have been caused by the misunderstanding. However, he did not contact me either, but if he (or anyone for that matter) would be interested, we wouldn't mind :)

It's true that here and there we've got some inconsistencies (like the モニュー or moniyuu) and that's because we had some help here and there from different translators with their own styles. It does indeed seem like a good idea to at least finish the reference document and skim through the current files with new translators and match all the terms (if you look at the Names & Locations Reference file you'll see that the moniyuu is in the terms list, but does not currently have a translation in our project; but I have to admit that that translator was simply wrong (sadly enough, that was not the only time)).

Kurt117 likes this.
  4. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    Thanks for chiming in Nagato ! I got in touch with Kohmei using PMs and the the conversation continued in public. From what I gather from the whole situation, he's still not really interested in being part of this project, not that there's anything wrong with that (and lack of clarification for the whole issue -like not making a separate thread and announcing the translation formally- was poor handling on our part).

About the translation, the initial menu translations we already have weren't written by an English native (it was a Japanese fellow, who went MIA since), and it's not perfect as is by any means. I'd like to stress that whatever screenshots we're showing now have temporary translations that still desperately need another check. That aside, to my knowledge, no machine translator was involved in the process so far.

Kurt117 likes this.
  5. Auryn

Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    Sad to hear that yet another possible translator didn't join the project. The project seems a bit cursed. Anyway Nagato, I don't think its the time to check the text. In AAI2 we had part of case 1 already translated before we had a script dump. A second version was made when we got the script dump and we ended with a 3rd version in the game itself.

6. yasuoiwakura

yasuoiwakura Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Hey, did you try recruiting within fansub-boards?
    My Japanese is not good and my english is also not native so i cannot really help you there but trying to motivate for this great project! ^_^

7. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I've translated everything up until you enter the Northern Woods (so, after all of the cutscenes and you are able to save at the waystone). That should cover the first half hour or hour or so of the game. I don't know how much of the game I'll translate in total but I had some free time and didn't feel like studying for my algorithms exam on Monday, so... yeah. It also gives me a good excuse to replay the game, this time using my legit copy I bought in Japan in June. (●^o^●)
    Last time I played the game using a combination of shitty scans from the internet, walkthroughs, and random Japanese Yahoo Answers to figure out the puzzles and runes that I needed the book for.

Edit: Also, the book and overall packaging of the game is just fantastic. I'm serious. It's hard to appreciate it without actually owning it, but it's seriously great. And the instruction booklet inside the DS game case (not the Magic Master) is thick as hell. Way more thick than I remember DS games being. Hell, thicker than any game in recent years that I remember. And the box is also really nice looking. There's even a jewel on the cover of the Magic Master. A fucking jewel. You can tell they effort into making everything look nice.

Lycanroc, Densetsu, pleonex and 2 others like this.
  8. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    Away from civilization.
    You make me want to get a legit copy of it now :ohnoes:

Great job on translating! Rekindling your love for the game is an extra plus!

9. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Get a legit copy. I picked it up for like $10 or so at Book Off. Book Off is one of my favorite places in Japan. <3
    $10 and everything is in mint condition too.

Has the translation for Ni no kuni (and I guess Ichi no kuni) been decided? I've been translating it as "second world" because Shizuku explicitly states that there are many worlds running in parallel with each other, and most people who need a fan translation probably won't understand random Japanese so leaving it untranslated (especially in Ichi no kuni's case) would probably cause some confusion.

Edit: A thought just occurred to me while writing that last question out. If there are parallel worlds with souls linking each other between the first and second worlds, does that mean that the souls of the people in the third, fourth, fifth, etc... worlds are linked with the souls of the people in the first and second worlds? Does something happen to the soul linked Allie in the other worlds too? :?

10. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    In the English PS3 version, it seems "Ni no Kuni" and "Ichi no Kuni" were written out of the script.
    Notable such occurrences of the English version translating "Ni no Kuni":
    "another world" by Shizuku during their initial meeting (it uses "ni no kuni" between brackets in the JP versions)
    "So this is... Ni no Kuni your world."by Oliver when he enters it initially.

The initial working English title for the DS version before it was cancelled in the US/PAL was "Ni no Kuni: The Another World" (and later "Dominion of the Dark Djinn")

[​IMG]

(Oh, and I found those screenshots from an earlier, far different build)

Would having "Ni no Kuni" / "Ichi no Kuni" be acceptable in our English script?
    Or maybe making up some translation for it?
    "First World" / "Second World" (the literal translation)
    "Surface World" / "Under/Nether/Outer World"
    "Hither World" / "Thither/Another/Other World"
    ?

11. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I personally don't have much of a preference besides not wanting to leave it as "ni no kuni" and "ichi no kuni". Maybe some other people could chime in on that?

Anyway, are some scripts missing? I can't find the text from first battle scene after you meet the ancient tree. The lines of text are "いいか。戦いの基本は『たたかう』ボタンや。", "その調子で 次は相手を選ぶんや。", "全員の行動を決めたら 戦闘開始や!行くで!", "なかなか スジがええやないか!次は 『まほう』を使ってみよか。", "力の弱いおまえが 木の棒で たたいても 大したダメージを 与えることはでけへん。", "ここは 『ファイアボール』を 使ってみることをオススメするで。", "魔法の使い方は 『たたかう』と同じで 『まほう』アイコンから 魔法を選んで 使う相手を決めるんや!", "あんまり 魔法を使いすぎると MPが無くなってしまうから 気をつけるんやで!".

12. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    Shizuku's script during the first battle is special text.
    It's part of the text data for in-game tutorials, stone tablet tutorials, and sidequest clear messages.
    We missed it when we were converting the xml files (pleonex's dumping/insertion tool format) to the spreadsheet format used by Google Drive.

For the moment being, I'll be uploading it to Google Drive as xml files (not spreadsheet files).
    You can edit the version on Google Drive directly (overwriting the Japanese text with English text) and leaving a copy of an unaltered variant in Japanese for reference. Either way we have it backed up here.

13. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I'd just like to state that I'm not working on my own project, in case someone is eying this one and doesn't like the idea of someone out there "competing" against them. My only real desire in starting my own was because it seemed (at the time) that the existing project was being mismanaged.

As for joining this one, as I stated in the old thread, I haven't actually completed the game yet, so I'll be of no real use as the main translator until I do. It's something I've been putting off for quite a while now, and I'm not so sure when or if I'll be able to finish it. Which, certainly doesn't bode well for my ability to actually translate it, but there you have it. If I ever get it done, I'd certainly like to reevaluate joining this project at that time, assuming help is still in need. In the mean time, I might be able to assist (?) somewhat.

Also, Nagato pointed out pretty much what I was afraid of, and in this case the translation wouldn't end up simply being inconsistent, but flat out wrong. This is basically why I think starting the script over from scratch isn't a bad idea regardless of how you look at it. "Easy for you to say," right? Well, sure. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

14. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    The good thing about being the only translator right now (and that the story scripts barely had any translations to begin with) is that I get to take the burn it with fire approach. :yay:

I've been replaying the game through from the beginning and translating everything in context as I encounter it. I ended up throwing out most of the old translation but not all of it was bad. Anything that was previously translated but I haven't encountered yet is still in there, though. I tag all of my lines so it's easy to tell which ones need to be checked/retranslating at least.

GHANMI, Phoenix Goddess and Densetsu like this.
  15. kosterix

kosterix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2014
    Barbados
    I'd like to help. I can work with hex editors, have played the ps3 version, and know English. I could replace japanese characters with english ones.
    Are there instructions on how to use the google drive and rom to make a working copy?

16. kosterix

kosterix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2014
    Barbados
    What are the translation conventions, meaning things like try to be consistent and do we try to name things in the ds version alike to the US ps3 version or the EUR ps3 version?

17. GHANMI

Jun 10, 2012
    I really appreciate your offer, but what we need right now are JP>EN translators.
    No machine translations, nor Spanish>English translators.
    pleonex has taken care of the hacking side, making manual hex editing pointless/unneeded - he has tools that automate that process (which is nevertheless possible without said tools, if you'd like to try -it's up to him to decide when to release it, but for now he released the Tinke tool which you might want to check)

As for relying on the PS3 translation: no, we're doing this translation from scratch.
    DS version has different events not covered in the PS3 version, common events often have different details and wording.
    About consistency, however, we plan on translating it properly first disregarding the official names (after all, we can't edit the cinematics to insert the English names for Motorville/Hotroit, Gate/Gateway, and all).

After we're done with that, we're open to make a second patch where we comb over the original text and replace Maru/Gyro/Jabo/Richie/Mark/Hotroit with Esther/Swaine/Shadar/Mitey/Phillip/Motorville.
    If you'd like to help on that front, we'd appreciate if you gathered a list of English vs Japanese names for
    - locations / towns /dungeons
    - items
    - NPCs, characters
    - familiars

18. Zkarts
    OP

Zkarts Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    I personally like the names Ni no Kuni and Ichi no Kuni (they've got an air of mystery over them), but they'd obviously require some clarification when they are introduced. (EDIT: Reading through the files it's explained quite clearly that Ni no Kuni is another world :) )
    As for consistency and figuring out which translations to use, a I started a Names and Locations file (I marked that one with [OBSOLETE], because our previous translator created a more detailed one, the Names and Locations Reference file) in the main folder of the Drive.
    I'm also the one who made the xml to Google Drive program, so if I know which file to upload, I can easily do so :)
    I'll take a closer look at all of it when I get home.

19. Kurt117

Kurt117 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2014
    i also like the original name and i think it's better if you use the japanese name but it's your call :)
    +
    Nagato
    are you going to translate the game completely or just some parts of it?
    you'll be so many people's hero byhelping this team and translating the game :D :)

20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I still didn't play that game (PS3 or DS), but I personally prefer First world and Second world.
    Even if numbering them is weird because there are more than two, and anyone originally from one of the other worlds would consider his the "First".
    But the game use ichi and ni, so let's keep the numbering first and second, as in "second visited world".
    I don't like over/under (underworld looks like a bad place), hither/thither (never read that before :P).
    "My/your world" and "Other world" is maybe good.

I asked in the other thread, but isn't there any application translators could use to help with consistencies?
    TAS (translation assisted tools) let you do that with words and sentences, but they are shareware and expansive.
    Without such a tool, you have to look at a term's file manually. with multiple translators, each one is using his own names and translation style (for example a character with an accent in japanese could be translated a certain way to reflect this, or just dropped), and new translator have to proof read old work to continue in the same style/level.

It's a difficult task.
    Good luck to all the team and finding a translator.