Gaming I hate that donkey kong 64 isn't in full screen!

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See here's the thing. I don't even have an HD television. It's an old standard tube tv from 2001. When I hook up my N64 and the original game to it, it covers the whole screen. But when I play it on the Wii U there's black bars on the left and right side. I tried setting the aspect ratio on the Wii U to 4:3 and this is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/Fedxy8Q.jpg

I'm so disappointed. I don't think I would've bought the game if I had known it would look like this.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Nintendo constantly drop the ball on their VC titles. You're much better off keeping any playing the N64 version. Same goes with every single other VC title, the emulation is sub-par and there are little to no customisation options. Same goes for the 3DS VC titles.

Reactions: Margen67 and cvskid

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even on a HD TV it scales so far. It's like playing the game on a N64 emulator using something like Glide64. What happens is the entire screen isn't stretched and there's no option to do (holding select doesn't work either). Considering all other VC games on the Wii U do this same exact thing it can only be assumed that Nintendo has no intentions on fixing this and it's working "as intended".

With that being said some TV's/monitors let you adjust the image and that seems like the only option.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo constantly drop the ball on their VC titles. You're much better off keeping any playing the N64 version. Same goes with every single other VC title, the emulation is sub-par and there are little to no customisation options. Same goes for the 3DS VC titles.

Ever tried getting DK64 to run on a PC emulator? Unless you muck around, you'll get many issues.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I assume the Wii U can only output 16:9 image (it's 2015, after all...). So you always get black bars on top and bottom of the image on a 4:3 TV, no matter what. When you set it to 4:3 it still outputs a 16:9 image, but additionally adds black bars on the left and right to have a correct AR.

It's not Nintendos fault that you're using a TV that belongs in a Museum.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if I did use an HDTV it would still have this problem. Also I usually don't bother with the VC. My vWii is hacked. So I can use emulators to play all the old games (which are in full screen by the way). The problem is donkey kong 64 doesn't work on the N64 emulator Not64.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, Nintendo's VC wrappers lack options and lack any form of QoL enhancements, beyond save support and maybe filtering (if you consider that a good thing). Nintendo has a problem with letting anyone experience anything that deviates from their vision in the slightest. They avoid options like the plague and just do the "one size fits all" thing. VCs tend to perform well at the very least, but at their price and lack of options, I avoid them.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At least they are doing pretty well with the DS VC, lots of different options for top/bottom screen placement :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Looks fine on my two year old HDTV. Full screen and everything. One of these things is the problem for you:

-Obsolete TV is obsolete.
-Not ideal TV settings.
-Not ideal Wii U output settings.

Trust me, a HDTV is worth every penny. They're getting pretty damn cheap too.

True. I think he could get a deal on a Sammy LED for a very reasonable price or some pawn shop if he's not up to spend too much.

Just no good reason to go back to CRT TVs unless it's to play retro consoles and even then.. emulators and so on give a better experience except for players that what it the 'way it was meant to be played'.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've summed up the situation nicely with this crude drawing made with Paint:

basically.png

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you set your tv to 4:3 FULL (not 4:3) resolution it will cover the whole screen. problem is i had to do this every single time i wanted to play the damn game..

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah I also hate that VC emulation does not have an option for Full Screen.
For fucks sake, Nintendo, do you even remember that this game has a built-in Widescreen option for 16:9 output?

Damn you!
I want to be able to play N64 in Full Screen, don't make me resort to hacking or getting the ROM due to that. >:c

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those things that makes me really question who is in charge of this stuff at nintendo. They do so many things so well, and so many other things so wrong it hurts. Like look at the DS games on Wii U, pretty sweet with lots of options and you didnt have to pay an arm and a leg to get your hands on them.

Splatoon, no voice chat. wut.

Come on nintendo, hire someone who can handle some of these obvious problems.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
good luck playing the rom at full speed and with no glitches though. every single n64 emu has trouble running this game properly :P
I know, which is why it makes me mad that they don't provide an option to stretch the image, seeing how even some N64 games back in the day were developed with 16:9 in mind.
I hate having a letterbox image with black bars, looks dirty and unpolished to me, I never liked that.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I also hate that VC emulation does not have an option for Full Screen.
For fucks sake, Nintendo, do you even remember that this game has a built-in Widescreen option for 16:9 output?

Damn you!
I want to be able to play N64 in Full Screen, don't make me resort to hacking or getting the ROM due to that. >:c

Reminds me that when people on 3DS were fooling around with the Nintendo VC releases they just change a single value and it gets you fullscreen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes