Hacking I bricked my Wii U because I changed system.xml: flash NAND guide?

Will could I fix my console?

• Yes

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters

Anibal Pacheco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd totally pay for shipping & handling if he did decide to trash it. Would be nice to have a second console to tinker with.
If you want i can send it to you just send me a box with a slip of your address and ill send it to you but ill just send the console no chords or gamepad.

Reactions: Irastris

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have bricked too a few days ago (4 or 5 don't remember)

People trying coldboothax while Brain Age is on USB have 160-0101, others people, where it failed for some unknown reason have 160-0103
But you are dumber than me, there's a post dedicated to warn people that it will brick your Wii U, but hopefully you have a Backup

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello,

I had bricked my Wii U Premium 32GB after the modification of the file "system.xml", which is in "vol/system_slc/config/".

I modified it to load a particular game and then can do "CoolBootHax". I had the game in the USB and it was "Dr. Kawashima Brain Training", european edition.

Now, every time I turn on the Wii U, it stays frozen in the Wii U logo, and then I get an error:

"Error Code: 160-0101
[1] 5.5.1 E [2] WUP-101 (03) [3] My serial number [4] XXXX-02X0-3175

Well, I've seen web guides to recover my console, but in all guides say how inject a single file and I have 3, not single one: MLC.full.img, SLC.full.img and SLCCMPT.full.img.

Could you help me and say how to inject 3 different files?

Or, could you tell me an up-to-date guide that will help me inject three files?

If is necesarry others weldings, I want know it.

Thank you very much.

And, just inject MLC ; 160 errors are MLC errors ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

IMG_4454.jpg
ehe

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK system menu loads in the background and then launches the title you selected in the quick launch menu on the GamePad.
It appears to bypass the homemenu as you never get to see it until the title is closed so further testing is required

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears to bypass the homemenu as you never get to see it until the title is closed so further testing is required

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Wait, did i just think of an un-brick method? O.o

If anyone finds out more about this, come and find me, just look for the giant flying metal german on the left.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
haven't read the entire thread but figured I'd mention that system.xml bricks can be recovered using hard mod without otp or previous nand dump. the trick is that file block slc ecc does not depend on block address do you can just move corresponding file blocks around. thanks to that all you need to do is find the block corresponding to your pre brick system.xml file block (it should still be present in the nand) and replace your current system.xml block with it. kind of annoying but should work

Anibal Pacheco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haven't read the entire thread but figured I'd mention that system.xml bricks can be recovered using hard mod without otp or previous nand dump. the trick is that file block slc ecc does not depend on block address do you can just move corresponding file blocks around. thanks to that all you need to do is find the block corresponding to your pre brick system.xml file block (it should still be present in the nand) and replace your current system.xml block with it. kind of annoying but should work
Awesome i dont know anything about hardmod so i wond do it but its awesome to see you reply i havent been here for long but i know you are awesome thank you for the 3ds hacks and the wii u hacks youve done its awesome:hrth::grog::yay3ds::yayu::bow:

vickdu31

Trophies
XP
Country
I think nintendo didn't do very well to not include some kinf of "bios" like on PS3. So if the PS3 dies, you can always use USB stick and boot in that recovery mode.
In the other hand, Wii U software never brick himself while updating or for no reason so... I don't know :P

sdtg34520

GURU MEDITATION ERROR
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think nintendo didn't do very well to not include some kinf of "bios" like on PS3. So if the PS3 dies, you can always use USB stick and boot in that recovery mode.
In the other hand, Wii U software never brick himself while updating or for no reason so... I don't know :P
if you had access to the recovery mode firmware, you could just wipe that out too

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you know if there is a chance that a bricked wii u could access the quick boot menu? also, does the quick boot menu bypass the home menu, therefore allowing you to boot into something that could modify your system.xml? (redNAND, wupserver?)

B11100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had also modified the system.xml and my wii u could not access the wii u menu but I could access the homebrew launcher by pressing the button I had configured, I then used CBHC now my wii u works

Last edited by B11100,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
do you know if there is a chance that a bricked wii u could access the quick boot menu? also, does the quick boot menu bypass the home menu, therefore allowing you to boot into something that could modify your system.xml? (redNAND, wupserver?)
I'm not smea, but I don't think so. You could access the Quick Start menu, but that signals the Wii U Menu what to launch. So you could select the title, enter the pass, then watch as nothing happens. :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on wii there is bootmii that allowed to restore the nand, on wii u didn't do something similar?

at present, no. if you hard brick, you have to go through a hard mod. make sure you know what you did before you hard bricked, because you don't want to go guessing. you need the otp.bin to decrypt the nand as well unless you have a nand backup from before the brick occurred. if you have neither, nothing can be done to fix it.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
on wii there is bootmii that allowed to restore the nand, on wii u didn't do something similar?
Nope. Very unlikely atm. But hopefully, someone finds a way to install a brick protection like bootmii. This would be nice.

And by the way, only very old wii's have a 100% brick protection because bootmii is installed to boot2. If you have a newer wii with bootmii as ios, you're screwed if you full brick it.

Last edited by BaamAlex,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show