Tutorial  Updated

How To: Upgrading / Rebuilding Wii U Internal Memory (MLC)

Warning

This tutorial is only for advanced users and has a serious risk of bricking the console. Make sure you read it completely before executing any step and that you understand every step and its implications. With de_Fuse everything should be unbrickable if you know how.

You should at least have a backup of SLC and SLCCMPT, as we can’t rebuild them at the moment. (can be done in minute_minute, so there is no excuse). We had two cases where the SLC corrupted for an unknown reason, so a backup is essential.

What is this for?

This tutorial goes into rebuilding the MLC from scratch on a clean media. This can become useful, if
  • the MLC (eMMC) chip died or corrupted the filesystem
  • the SCFM (SLC cache for MLC) became inconsistent
  • you want to upgrade the capacity of the internal storage.
  • you want to set up a redNAND without SCFM
If you have a bad eMMC chip, but the recovery still works (which is most likely), then there are also ways to fix it without a complete reformat.
If the LED is blinking blue, you have a SLC problem and not a MLC problem, so this tutorial won't help with that.

It will format your MLC, so all data on the internal Wii U memory will be lost.

Update

13.03.2024 - The wafel_setup_mlc.ipx now uses a built in IOSU function to create system folders, that should make sure the permissions are right, which caused problems with game updates in the past. It will also recreate the update folder (so system updates won't be blocked by that)

Prerequisites

Backing up save games

Do a backup of what you want to preserve, like savegames and Miis.
For Backing up Save games, it is recommended to use SaveMii. That requires that you have Tiramisu or Aroma running.
You can also move your savgames (or whole games) to USB, which should still be readable. When recreating the users after the rebuild, you just have to be carefull to create the users in the right order, to make the ID’s match. A backup by other means (Like savemii) is still recommended.
If you are using this tutorial to fix a failing eMMC you might not be able to use the other Backup options. In that case use the Dump MLC option in the Recovery. You can extract your data from there using wfs-extract.

Storage Options

The Wii U has two ways of connecting internal memory, each with its own drawbacks:
  • SDIO – On retail consoles the internal memory is a eMMC chip connected through an internal SDIO bus to the Latte chip. This SDIO bus can also use SD cards (hence the name SD IO). Access to media connected on the SDIO is cached through a file on the SLC, presumably to reduce writes on the MLC. This cache is called SCFM and it is the reason why you always need to backup / restore SLC and MLC together and doesn’t allow easy swapping of multiple SDs.
    IOSU also only supports 3 sizes of media on this bus: <=8GB, 32GB and 64GB. The size will be limited to the biggest it fits, the rest is unusable. This bus is limited to 26MB/s (4bit@52Mhz). For replacing the eMMC with an micro SD you can use MLC2SD or a similar Interposer. Soldering and micro SD adapter using wires, works too.
    It is recommended to use a 64GB Sandisk Max Endurance card (But similar card should also be fine), since the Wii U is known for writing much.

• SATA – The Disc drive is connected through SATA, the connectors are different but the electrical signals are still the same. Some Kiosk consoles used this Interface to connect to a HDD. The type of the SATA device can be configured in the SEEPROM, so we can configure our retail consoles to also use a SATA HDD / SSD.
    NOTE: @QuarkTheAwesome is building an SATA adapter for that purpose, available soon™.

The advantage of using this interface is, that the size isn’t limited (well WFS is limited to 2TB) and it doesn’t use SCFM, which makes some things easier and improves performance in some circumstances. The obvious disadvantage is that you can’t use your disc drive anymore. Without the Disc Drive vWii System Menu doesn't work. vWii Injectes / Wii VC from the eShop can still be used, but only when installed to USB. Also you still might need to disable the MLC on the SDIO bus, or else the wii u might still use the SDIO one if the SATA device takes too long to init.

• redNAND – redirects the read / writes to one or more of the internal storage devices to paritions on the SD card. You can create an arbitrary size MLC partition on the SD card and set it up using this tutorial. SCFM can be easily disabled for the redNAND. The 64GB limit does not exist for redNAND if the SCFM is disabled. For redNAND we have a dedicated Tutorial here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-...-soldering-using-rednand-with-isfshax.642268/

Does that mean we can’t get more than 64GB on the SDIO bus? No, BUT it requires ISFShax / defuse to boot the console every time. @GaryOderNichts created a patch to remove the limits and always use the maximum size of the SDIO media and it also disables SCFM, because SCFM doesn’t work with more than 64GB and disabling SCFM improves performance and reduces wear on the SLC, at the cost of increasing wear of the MLC media. I packaged this patch in wafel_unlimit_mlc.

Rebuilding the MLC

Now that you decided what media you want to use as MLC, we can start with the actual process:
  1. Download all the mlc system titles for your region from NUS. This can be done conveniently with MLCRestorerDownloader by @Xpl0itU. Copy the otp.bin from the SD to the folder with the MLCRestorer Downloader so it can get the common key from there.

You will get the output/MLC/{region} directory, which then contains a directory for each title. In total there should be 52 titles totaling ~1.1GiB.

If your console has an old firmware it might also be necessary to get the latest SLC titles.

2. On the root of your SD card (the one that will go in the front slot, not the MLC replacement) create a folder wafel_install. Then copy all 52 titles to the wafel_install folder, so it now contains the 52 subfolders, one for each title. If you want to reinstall / update SLC titles, you would also put them there.

3. Attach your MLC media of choice. (If you are using SATA got to Backup and Restore, then at Set SATA Device in SEEPROM select GEN2-HDD (Kiosk CAT-I with HDD)).
    For installing MLC2SD look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-n...emmc-fix-160-0103-system-memory-error.636361/ at the Soldering section.

4. If you install to eMMC / MLC2SD, got to Backup and Restore and select Erase MLC and Delete scfm.img. If the Erase MLC fails, you can ignore that if it wasn't formatted as MLC before (from a failed install or so).

5. Put the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx on the SD card in /wiiu/ios_plugins. If you want more than 64GB on SDIO you also need to put the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx there. If you install with wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx, it will be permanently required and therefore also permanently requires ISFShax or defuse.

6. [Optional, only when using defuse] Open the serial monitor on the PC (Putty / minicom) for defuse to see the setup progress. There will be no display output in the Wii U itself. I attached the whole serial log of a successfull install as a reference.

7. Select Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc) in minute to start the setup of your fresh MLC.During the setup you won't see anything on the screen. You have to go by the power led.
    The power LED will flash blue, while it is installing the titles.
    if something goes wrong the LED will turn orange, but it will continue as long as it is blinking.
    The LED will become static once it finished. You can now power off the console.
    If the led is blinking red, something fatal happend. Ask for help.
    During the setup a short log gets written to the SD: wafel_setup_mlc.log.
    In the end it will enable the initial setup on the next boot.

8. Remove the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx from /wiiu/ios_plugins on the SD.

9. Boot the console. Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)

10. If everything worked, the initial setup should launch.

ISFShax only: Finalizing

If you are using the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx you need to keep ISFShax installed. If you haven't done already complete the "Booting without SD" step form the ISFShax tutorial but also add the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx renamed to 9unlimit.ipx to the /storage_slc/sys/hax/ios_plugins directory.
If you are not using the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx you can either uninstall ISFShax or keep it as a brick protection. If you keep it complete the "Booting without SD" step form the ISFShax tutorial.
The Wii U should now boot automatically if you don't have an SD in.
You probably also want to enable the autobooting now.

See Also

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-internal-storage-upgrades-are-possible.635629/

Pictures

512 GB SD card:
img_20230702_021647-jpg.381270

@QuarkTheAwesome 120 GB SSD:
img_2709-jpg.381271

Thanks

Attachments

• serial-log.txt
    87.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by SDIO,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Recovery won't work without a valid mlc. If you have written the mlc image to a same size SD, then it could work, else it wont.

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Recovery won't work without a valid mlc. If you have written the mlc image to a same size SD, then it could work, else it wont.
Unfortunately I don't. I was trying to do a 64gb upgrade. Only other thing I did differently on my last Wii u was I completely removed the emmc chip

Definitely know I shoulda backed it up before. But it being a Japanese console I thought I could yolo it and do exactly what I did with my last Wii u

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe try making the wire for the exi stuff shorter
10-4, will do. I'm just taking a break from it to play some like a dragon ishin. I'll get back to things after supper and let you know.

I really appreciate the reply's from everyone and all the great help you guys have been giving me!

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I he can still boot the recovery, we could install the boot1 to the vWii NAND that way and work around that way, can't we?
yes, and minute does have a vWii boot1 flasher (however, I haven't pushed a release which has that change yet, I only just got it to work 3 weeks ago). In theory an alternative process could be like, hack Wii U normally -> run some program which flashes NAND -> install Pico w/ or w/o EXI wires. The main reason I looked into it though was because it allows keeping an SDHC card in the slot.

Reactions: Valery0p

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe try making the wire for the exi stuff shorter
No luck. Shortened both exi wires and no change unfortunately
Post automatically merged:

yes, and minute does have a vWii boot1 flasher (however, I haven't pushed a release which has that change yet, I only just got it to work 3 weeks ago). In theory an alternative process could be like, hack Wii U normally -> run some program which flashes NAND -> install Pico w/ or w/o EXI wires. The main reason I looked into it though was because it allows keeping an SDHC card in the slot.
You said what putty spat out for me looked fine? Or there was an issue?

I think what I'm going to do is just re do the de fuse tomorrow. Not making sense why it's not working.

Is there an optimal length of wire for the exi wires? Cause the weird part is everything is the same length as my last successful de_fuse, as I litterally just resoldered the Pico from the Wii u

Last edited by Tuner357,

Fabioperez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello everyone, first of all, apologies for posting this question in this thread. It is possible to disable the setting to be able to handle the wii u without the gamepad, and handle it with a procontroller. At this moment this console has the de_fuse modchip, it has been impossible to enter through UDPIH. Something occurs to me, I have a copy of SLC and MLC, does anyone know in which folder I can find the key and try to pair from the gamepad, thanks. The error occurs when you press the red button to pair the wii u for the second time

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, i shortened exi wires once again. they are super short and still wont load up. Do you think its possibly the sd card slot? i never tohught to check the slot when i had this wii u powered on, before i installed the nand aid. Checked the pins and they all seem to be good.

I reflashed the pico just incase it was that. also moved the ground to tp164, not that i thought that was going to be the issue. should i try and format the sd card and maybe try that out?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, i shortened exi wires once again. they are super short and still wont load up. Do you think its possibly the sd card slot? i never tohught to check the slot when i had this wii u powered on, before i installed the nand aid. Checked the pins and they all seem to be good.

I reflashed the pico just incase it was that. also moved the ground to tp164, not that i thought that was going to be the issue. should i try and format the sd card and maybe try that out?
On the machine I did I found if I had nothing connected to the nand points with the resistors removed the sd card slot wouldn't function until I either soldered an sd card adapter or a nand-aid so may possibly be the connections for your nand-aid if it is indeed the sd card slot not functioning properly.

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the machine I did I found if I had nothing connected to the nand points with the resistors removed the sd card slot wouldn't function until I either soldered an sd card adapter or a nand-aid so may possibly be the connections for your nand-aid if it is indeed the sd card slot not functioning properly.

Oh really? Okay well I did check my joints on the nandaid again, and they are all good. Made sure there's no bridging. Also checked if any pins on the micro sd card slot for the nand-aid is good. Only thing I did do differently on my last nandaid was remove the emmc chip completely and everything fired up fine lol. I'm so confused

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh really? Okay well I did check my joints on the nandaid again, and they are all good. Made sure there's no bridging. Also checked if any pins on the micro sd card slot for the nand-aid is good. Only thing I did do differently on my last nandaid was remove the emmc chip completely and everything fired up fine lol. I'm so confused
Which points are you connected to? The ones closest to the nand or on the other side so their is a gap between the pads? Make sure there is a gap between the pads and you're not connected to the ones closest to where the nand was. I'm not sure if it would work but maybe a good way to test is write a backup of another nand to a 32gb sd card just to see if you can get the wii u to display an error. That will at least let you know if you have the nand aid soldered correctly. Maybe hold off though on my advise cause that my be detrimental to the SLC but may also be fixed with wafel_destroy when you actually get it to work if it does cause a problem.

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which points are you connected to? The ones closest to the nand or on the other side so their is a gap between the pads? Make sure there is a gap between the pads and you're not connected to the ones closest to where the nand was. I'm not sure if it would work but maybe a good way to test is write a backup of another nand to a 32gb sd card just to see if you can get the wii u to display an error. That will at least let you know if you have the nand aid soldered correctly. Maybe hold off though on my advise cause that my be detrimental to the SLC but may also be fixed with wafel_destroy when you actually get it to work if it does cause a problem.

Definitely soldered to the right pads! I actually triple checked the solder joints and made sure there was no continuity between the 2 pads for the resistors.

I also haven't been plugging the Wii u into my tv, I just have it on my bench with the disc drive to the side and front panel hooked up. Trying to view minute on putty.

Reason I mentioned my Wii u's sd card slot is I forgot to latch the sd card on my last defused console, and was wondering why it wouldn't boot lol. But it would do the same thing, turn on to the point the fans spinning, but still solid red light. Console shouldn't have to be hooked up to a tv I don't think right?

Shiny was saying that the txt putty was spitting out was saying something with my exi line wasnt correct. Ive checked it multiple times and everything seems to be okay which makes me more confused lol.

Does anyone know if maybe anything about boot image that's flashed to the sd card would change when you turn the console on? Or should I be able to use the same sd card on multiple de fused consoles?

I figured it out!!!

i was connected to tp1001, not tp101... lol

Now, trying to upgrade to 64gb, can i use the sd card i made for the last console? This one is a japanese console, where the other one was a us/canada one. End goal is to change the region on the japanese console to usa/canada

im getting this when i try to dump the otp using PRSHhax. Im not to sure if this has anything to do with it, but i did have an otp from the last console accidentally on the card when i booted minute menu

Attachments

• Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    117.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    89.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by Tuner357,
Reactions: SDIO

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Definitely soldered to the right pads! I actually triple checked the solder joints and made sure there was no continuity between the 2 pads for the resistors.

I also haven't been plugging the Wii u into my tv, I just have it on my bench with the disc drive to the side and front panel hooked up. Trying to view minute on putty.

Reason I mentioned my Wii u's sd card slot is I forgot to latch the sd card on my last defused console, and was wondering why it wouldn't boot lol. But it would do the same thing, turn on to the point the fans spinning, but still solid red light. Console shouldn't have to be hooked up to a tv I don't think right?

Shiny was saying that the txt putty was spitting out was saying something with my exi line wasnt correct. Ive checked it multiple times and everything seems to be okay which makes me more confused lol.

Does anyone know if maybe anything about boot image that's flashed to the sd card would change when you turn the console on? Or should I be able to use the same sd card on multiple de fused consoles?

I figured it out!!!

i was connected to tp1001, not tp101... lol

Now, trying to upgrade to 64gb, can i use the sd card i made for the last console? This one is a japanese console, where the other one was a us/canada one. End goal is to change the region on the japanese console to usa/canada

im getting this when i try to dump the otp using PRSHhax. Im not to sure if this has anything to do with it, but i did have an otp from the last console accidentally on the card when i booted minute menu
From what I know you need a working attached nand to use the dump otp with prshax. It won't work with a wrong otp. I've tried by accident. If you try to boot and patch ios you will get that fw.img is not an ancast image message. There was another option in backup and restore though that did allow an otp dump but not sure if it's a valid otp although it did seem to dump one.

Reactions: Tuner357

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I know you need a working attached nand to use the dump otp with prshax. It won't work with a wrong otp. I've tried by accident. If you try to boot and patch ios you will get that fw.img is not an ancast image message. There was another option in backup and restore though that did allow an otp dump but not sure if it's a valid otp although it did seem to dump one.

That makes sense actually, pretty sure I got an error when trying to dump OTP on my last console.

Now just need to figure out if I need to do anything different to upgrade to 64gb when rebuilding the mlc. I had to use the second option last time. I tried with the sd card i have set up already on this Japanese system, but I get blue flashing light for a couple seconds, then stayed solid purple. And didn't spit out a log

Last edited by Tuner357,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now, trying to upgrade to 64gb, can i use the sd card i made for the last console?
Do you mean the one in the NAND aid or the external one? The NAND AID one is encrypted with the console specific key, so not transferable. The external one with the install packages on can be transfered, you just have to replace the otp

This one is a japanese console, where the other one was a us/canada one. End goal is to change the region on the japanese console to usa/canada
Should be possible, but I think you need to change something in the sysprod.xml after the install

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean the one in the NAND aid or the external one? The NAND AID one is encrypted with the console specific key, so not transferable. The external one with the install packages on can be transfered, you just have to replace the otp

Should be possible, but I think you need to change something in the sysprod.xml after the install
I meant the external sd card! But alright. I tried disconnecting 3v3 to plug it into the tv to see if it would show anything, but it never. Though the led didn't flash blue, was just solid blue after the disc drive initialized like normal. Someone did say I would have to change something in sysprod, or use the recovery menu, should I try recovery menu now you think?

I don't believe it flashed the mlc to be honest. It didn't spit out a txt file

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes you have to change the sysprod.xml. That can be done in the recovery. Do you have logs from the setup?

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
looks like iosu crased directly
maybe incompatible version
try to load the fw.img from 5.5.5 as ios_orig.img from the sd

Tuner357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
looks like iosu crased directly
maybe incompatible version
try to load the fw.img from 5.5.5 as ios_orig.img from the sd
thats actually whats on the sd card! I believe thats what you got me to grab for my last wii u

I tried it again and its doin the same thing unfortunately

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway