Tutorial  Updated

How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

CN : Cubic Ninja
OOT : Zelda Ocarina of Time
HBL : Homebrew Launcher

Notice for gateway users : you can also use this tutorial to use your gateway on your N3DS without CN/OOT.

You need :
- A 9.0-9.2 n3ds obviously
- The latest gateway firmware if you're planning to use mset. (you can find it on their site)
- The HBL starter kit : https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
- The latest ninjhax version of FBI : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
- A cia version of the cia manager you want to install (for example FBI or BigBlueMenu)
- Emunand9Tool : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/
- Encrypted 9.0-9.2 and 9.5 firmware.bin: can't link it here, but search "firmware9.2.bin" on google (with the quotes) and download the Cakes.zip folder. The md5 of the firmware9.2.bin should be 87aea2e8c30a533fd9f319683b3a0793 and b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6 for the 9.5 one.
- (only for cakes) The cetk file : http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013820000002/cetk
- an Internet connexion (use the tubehax dns to prevent background update downloading)

I Installing a cia manager on your sysnand

Method 1 : with CakesFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
8. Select Cakes
9. select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.
10. Boot the cfw.
11. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
12. This time, choose FBI.
13. Use FBI to install the cia manager of your choice.

Method 2 : with Pasta CFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder in the 3ds folder.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

Reminder :
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

II. Setting up the emunand.

Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool
1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
6. Put back your micro-sd card in your console then press B
7. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and confirm
8. Once it's done, press start to reboot and restore your micro-sd card content.

Method 2 : with the Gateway Launcher (use this if you have a gateway, it also work without it)
You need :
- The latest Gateway firmware available on their site
1. Copy the launcher.dat file on your micro-sd card root
2. Extract the GW_3dsx.zip archive on your micro-sd card root
3. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer
4. Launch the HBL and select Gateway. (if you have the gateway inserted on your console, remove it first)
5. In the gateway menu, select "Format Emunand"
6. Then select "Backup System nand"
7. Finally, press down + B to shut down the console
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe.

III Booting into the emunand

To boot into your emunand :

Cakes
If you choosed the Cakes method in the first part you can just continue to use it :
- Download the latest fimware.bin here (first link, rename it firmware.bin)
- Dowload the slot0x11key96.bin on that iso site (Google "CakesFW - Open Source CFW with emunand support!") and put it on your micro-sd card root
- In the cakes menu check the emunand patch.

Reinand :
- Download this on extract it on your micro-sd card root : http://jheberg.net/captcha/reinand-n3ds-emunand-96/
- Download the latest fimware.bin (you can find the link in the reinand github), rename it firmware.bin and put it in the rei folder
- Select Reinand in the HBL

Gateway
If you have a gateway, just select Boot Gateway Mode in the Gateway menu. (if you have the gateway inserted when you choose Gateway in the HBL, it will skip the menu and directly boot into it)
Or you can use rxTools (some features still don't work on n3ds, refer to this : https://gbatemp.net/posts/5705403/).

rxTools
If you want to use rxTools, you need :
- rxTools nightly : http://jheberg.net/captcha/rxtools-2015-11-19-265d53e/
1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root
3. Copy the rxTools folder from the ninjhax folder in your "3ds" folder.
4. Then start rxTools from the HBL. Press a key at the end of the data installation to boot into your emunand.

Be aware that both Gateway and rxtools only support emunand up to 9.5 at the moment

IV Updating the emunand

With Cakes/Reinand :
1. Change your sysnand (and only your sysnand) language.
2. Boot into your emunand. If if it's not in your main language, that's mean you are not in your emunand (or you changed the language of the wrong nand), so don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Go the system settings (it should still be on your main language), and don't exit it until the update is done. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With Reinand
1. Boot into Emunand, and go to the system settings.
2. Make sure it says Rei in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emuNAND. If it does don't exit the systems setings until the update is done. If it doesn't, don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With rxTools/Gateway :
Follow this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

V Start the CFW without internet.

1. With menuhax

This method only work if your emunand are unlinked (to unlink the nand, format your sysnand with the micro-sd card out)
Install menuhax using browserhax : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
To uninstall menuhax just change your sysnand theme.
Notice : You can use this if you want to coldboot on the CFW (or Gateway) of your choice : http://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

2. With a downgraded mset

To downgrade your mset :
- Copy the mset_region.cia from the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!\your_region folder on your sd card. (and the bluecardfix if oyu have a gateway)
- Launch Pasta then FBI
- Switch the destination to nand.
- Install mset_region.cia. (If you have a gateway install the bluecardfix too)
- Go to the system settings. If the nnid settings are gone, that means the operation was successfull.
Then to setup the MSET rop :
- Start FBI then press select
- Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools, and "Encrypted Gateway N3DS 9.X" for Gateway.
- You can now start the cfw from System Settings -> Other Settings ->Profile -> DS Profile

Last edited by VerseHell,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what I did but they were gone when I booted into Emunand
Try again man.

The FBI was installed onto those file folders. If you don't back them up After you installed them. Then when Format EMUNAND all thing's wiped.

Ask everyone else. They would say the same that you missed this step.

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try again man.

The FBI was installed onto those file folders. If you don't back them up After you installed them. Then when Format EMUNAND all thing's wiped.

Ask everyone else. They would say the same that you missed this step.

Nevermind I realised what I did now.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind I realised what I did now.
I don't have technical term to fully describe it, but it's like this: when a app/ game was installed, some identifier data is install into NAND, the rest (execution data) is stored on SD card. You need to both to run an app/ game. That's also applies to EMUNAND so the data on micro SD need to be stored before you Format EMUNAND (which automatically delete everything on the micro SD)

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have technical term to fully describe it, but it's like this: when a app/ game was installed, some identifier data is install into NAND, the rest (execution data) is stored on SD card. You need to both to run an app/ game. That's also applies to EMUNAND so the data on micro SD need to be stored before you Format EMUNAND (which automatically delete everything on the micro SD)

You wouldn't believe what I was doing wrong even if I told you.

Rob Eich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHile trying to install this (FBI.cia) through FBI itself in HBL, I keep getting the same "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_SIGNATURE" error.

WTF am I doing wrong?

Dale Ginney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever i load the rxtools and try to go to emunand it says that the native firmware failed. Any help? On 9.2 and followed all the steps New3ds

Last edited by Dale Ginney,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using MenuHax.
Still the same HBL->PASTA/CAKES->HBL->FBI.

Also make sure you have dbs folder/database created.

Quoted from FBI thread:

"Q: Can I install any CIA I want via Ninjhax? / I'm getting an "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_SIGNATURE" error!
A: No. Without something that patches signature checks, such as emuNAND or a CFW, you cannot install CIAs that are not properly signed.

Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: This shouldn't happen any more, as FBI takes care of initializing the database files for you. However, if it does, you likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files."

Whenever i load the rxtools and try to go to emunand it says that the native firmware failed. Any help? On 9.2 and followed all the steps New3ds
Sound like you missed the below steps or you downloaded the wrong firm.bin

"1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root"

So the correct path should be like this: Root of SD:\rxTools\firm\0004013820000002.bin

Last edited by tivu100,

Nzash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm at the step where I complete emunand9 setup and it wants to format the SD card.

It's been at 0% for ages now, is that supposed to be this way?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at the step where I complete emunand9 setup and it wants to format the SD card.

It's been at 0% for ages now, is that supposed to be this way?
Don't do anything. Its could take long, if you have big memory card 32GB or bigger with many files on it.And the memory card is slow ones.

Trying to do anything can cause a brick, so just leave it there.

I once faced the same situation with a slow 64GB sdxc on O3DSXL

Last edited by tivu100,

Nzash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't do anything. Its could take long, if you have big memory card 32GB or bigger with many files on it.And the memory card is slow ones.

Trying to do anything can cause a brick.

Okay thank you, I'll just wait. It's a 32GB card yes.

Blueberrypancakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
:grog:Hello! Thanks a million for this fantastic guide. :teach:
I've followed it to the T and I now have a 9.2 Australian N3DS booting the HBL and using rxTools to boot my custom firmware, which I have confirmed in the settings menu version number.

However-- I have a very strange problem which occurs regardless of if I use Cakes or rxTools to boot into CFW- :cry::ohnoes::!:there is NO 3D IMAGERY:!::ohnoes::cry:. The screen attempts to display the 3D images when the slider is at the top, but they just appear transparently overlaid across one another, rather than having their images sent to different eyes.

This is a pretty weird problem. Have I used the wrong custom firmware at some point? I've finished Step III of the process, but before I go ahead and install something like MenuHax or get offline booting or unlink my NANDs, I want to be sure I can actually get 3D images working first.

:!:Just as a reminder, this ONLY happens when booted in CFW mode:!:. When in SysNAND, I can view 3D just fine.

Thanks again for the guide, and thanks in advance for your kind help!

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thank you, I'll just wait. It's a 32GB card yes.
Just a tip for next time: Back up the NAND and use this https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/ to create EMUNAND. Much faster and you can always quit if it's going slow (On a 3DS you can't because it will cause a brick)

:grog:Hello! Thanks a million for this fantastic guide. :teach:
I've followed it to the T and I now have a 9.2 Australian N3DS booting the HBL and using rxTools to boot my custom firmware, which I have confirmed in the settings menu version number.

However-- I have a very strange problem which occurs regardless of if I use Cakes or rxTools to boot into CFW- :cry::ohnoes::!:there is NO 3D IMAGERY:!::ohnoes::cry:. The screen attempts to display the 3D images when the slider is at the top, but they just appear transparently overlaid across one another, rather than having their images sent to different eyes.

This is a pretty weird problem. Have I used the wrong custom firmware at some point? I've finished Step III of the process, but before I go ahead and install something like MenuHax or get offline booting or unlink my NANDs, I want to be sure I can actually get 3D images working first.

:!:Just as a reminder, this ONLY happens when booted in CFW mode:!:. When in SysNAND, I can view 3D just fine.

Thanks again for the guide, and thanks in advance for your kind help!

Try to close the lid and re-open the lid when in CFW mode to see whether the 3D is stable again.

Last edited by tivu100,

Blueberrypancakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try to close the lid and re-open the lid when in CFW mode to see whether the 3D is stable again.

:lol:Holy mother of hell, you're right! :yaynds:It worked!!:yaynds:Will I need to do this every single time I boot emuNAND or is this a magical one time fix? EDIT: THIS MUST BE DONE ON EVERY BOOT. How can I make it boot with 3D enabled properly? Am I just perpetually going to have to close and open it every time I boot my CFW??

Also, one last problem: Is the CIA installer in homebrew menu going to work for installing actual region free videogame .cias? The last time I hacked my 2DS, I had rxTools patch a CIA installer over my Health & Safety app. I tried that this time, but the Health & Safety app still works and there's no CIA installer there:cry:. Should I just use FBI in my Homebrew menu- will that be ok?

Last edited by Blueberrypancakes,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to feel like it's not really supposed to still say 0%
I don't know another way, but it's said that once it's "Formatting EMUAND/SD", don't interrupt. All I can say it plug the AC adapter in and just leave it there to do it job and check back hour later.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:lol:Holy mother of hell, you're right! :yaynds:It worked!!:yaynds:Will I need to do this every single time I boot emuNAND or is this a magical one time fix? EDIT: THIS MUST BE DONE ON EVERY BOOT. How can I make it boot with 3D enabled properly? Am I just perpetually going to have to close and open it every time I boot my CFW??

Also, one last problem: Is the CIA installer in homebrew menu going to work for installing actual region free videogame .cias? The last time I hacked my 2DS, I had rxTools patch a CIA installer over my Health & Safety app. I tried that this time, but the Health & Safety app still works and there's no CIA installer there:cry:. Should I just use FBI in my Homebrew menu- will that be ok?
You missed these below steps:

"6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
... After EMUNAND is Formatted/Created
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe."

THE FBI in HBL is not reliable. It misses some signature to install some CIA (OP?)

Last edited by tivu100,

Blueberrypancakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An update to my previous problem

The 3D visuals are off every time I boot, and the system must be closed and reopened each time I boot CFW. Any way to fix this permanently?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw