Hacking (How) can i rewrite a nfc tag?

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi!

I am using Tagmo for creating amiibos. I would like to overwrite an already written nfc tag. Is this possible? If yes,how? I can't write tag on a nfc chip that already has a written tag. I can restore the tag using "Allow restore to different tag", but the switch doesn't recognice any change. Beside this I don't see any other option.

So is there a way to do this?

Thank you :)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I am using Tagmo for creating amiibos. I would like to overwrite an already written nfc tag. Is this possible? If yes,how? I can't write tag on a nfc chip that already has a written tag. I can restore the tag using "Allow restore to different tag", but the switch doesn't recognice any change. Beside this I don't see any other option.

Yes if it's the rewritable kind

kerelenko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Power tags writes to 100x max. It's dead afterwards. Best is to just buy hundreds of cheap ntag 215 stickers from Aliexpress or better yet use emuiibo and emutool if using them for switch.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Apparently if you rewrite any nfc tags used for amiibo, Nintendo devices will no longer recognize them.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, technically the reason why you can't re-use NFC tags is that Nintendo checks for a "read-only" flag that must be set before it'll accept an amiibo. If this flag is not set it rejects the data. So amiibo writers need to set this read-only flag to create a functioning amiibo NFC tag. If you wanted to, someone could make an IPS patch for the NFC service to remove that read-only flag check. Then you could make NFC tags that don't have the read-only flag set and they would work on your Switch and you could re-write to them. But they'd only work on Switches that had this patch.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The Switch checks if the NFC is write-protected.
If it isn't write protected, it rejects it.
As a result, you can't rewrite the NFC tag anymore.

The Amiiqo/N2Elite is not a NFC tag. It is a small microprocessor emulating a NFC tag.
Its flash memory can be rewritten thousands of times before it breaks down.
Power tags seem to use some different memory that can only be reprogrammed 50~100 times.

Instead of thinking about some funky service that disables the checks for NFC tags,
you could just as well use Emuiibo directly on the Switch to emulate the tags.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch checks if the NFC is write-protected.
If it isn't write protected, it rejects it.
As a result, you can't rewrite the NFC tag anymore.

The Amiiqo/N2Elite is not a NFC tag. It is a small microprocessor emulating a NFC tag.
Its flash memory can be rewritten thousands of times before it breaks down.
Power tags seem to use some different memory that can only be reprogrammed 50~100 times.

Instead of thinking about some funky service that disables the checks for NFC tags,
you could just as well use Emuiibo directly on the Switch to emulate the tags.
I would do that but it doesn't work completely so I'll need to rely on tags until it fixes its issues.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi!

NFC tags aren't rewritable. The exception is the Datel PowerTags but those use their own writer and aren't compatible with Tagmo anyways.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So, technically the reason why you can't re-use NFC tags is that Nintendo checks for a "read-only" flag that must be set before it'll accept an amiibo. If this flag is not set it rejects the data. So amiibo writers need to set this read-only flag to create a functioning amiibo NFC tag. If you wanted to, someone could make an IPS patch for the NFC service to remove that read-only flag check. Then you could make NFC tags that don't have the read-only flag set and they would work on your Switch and you could re-write to them. But they'd only work on Switches that had this patch.
This is genius, and needs to be merged into the master branch of Atmosphere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7