Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Retro arcade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so nothing has changed from this? even if you hide the thumbnail with the new setting

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...sion_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

No, hiding thumbnails still utilize an image apparently to cover it up so it still takes a "slot". Best case use for it right now if don't like the look of those little images it to delete all but the 44 showing and then I guess hide thumbnails to make it where you can't see those ones.

Reactions: PlaystationTV

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, hiding thumbnails still utilize an image apparently to cover it up so it still takes a "slot". Best case use for it right now if don't like the look of those little images it to delete all but the 44 showing and then I guess hide thumbnails to make it where you can't see those ones.
I'm just gonna keep it at 80 games and hide og 30, this gives me one save for each game
And I won't have to deal with white thumbnails if I change the order

bazset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cluster,

Thanks for this awesome program. I have a few suggestions:

Is there a way to turn autofire on the pads, similar to how you made the reset work? i am imagining hold select and A to make A have autofire turned on.
I have the famicom mini. would there be a way to make the menu thats in japanese turn to english?
lastly, because i have a famicom mini, the 2 player joy pad doesnt have start or select buttons. Would there be a way to force the 1p Select to act as the 2p start in some cases? i cant start a 2 player battletoads vs double dragon since 2 player cant press start.

Thanks again and keep up the amazing work1111

Baz

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running 115 games with boxarts, i removed original 30 and replaced them with their rom counterparts, using the hide thumbnails feature to get that white bar and arrow gone from the screen on the latest build of hackchi. So far no problems or issues. I think 115 is the safe limit if u want to have a few save slots to use and not get weird error's constantly.

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running 115 games with boxarts, i removed original 30 and replaced them with their rom counterparts, using the hide thumbnails feature to get that white bar and arrow gone from the screen on the latest build of hackchi. So far no problems or issues. I think 115 is the safe limit if u want to have a few save slots to use and not get weird error's constantly.
I'm guessing you have about 83 save slots available with this configuration (assuming you deleted all of the clear thumbnails except for 44). Have you started filling up slots to see when it triggers an error?

Last edited by chillmodious,

Chux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hrm, the sound(music really) in Dragon Warrior IV sounds slow every now and then after this latest build. Only thing I changed was put my old cover art back and removed the thumbnail bar. Really strange.
Edit: It might just be me hearing things.

Also! Does anybody know the overscan settings to not see the scrolling on the bottom or sides?

Last edited by Chux,

mollywhopper78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... So I'm new to this (and to avoid reading 68 pages of posts) I'm having trouble with 2.10... When I try to sync, the box pops up where it is waiting for the NES Mini and it just sits there. When I follow the instructions and click to install the driver, it says there is no file found.

I have no idea what to do if anyone could please help...?

I am attempting this on a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

I get a sound like something is being read after releasing the reset button, but I get nothing. I am probably missing something easy but would appreciate some advice... Thanks again in advance...

And by the way, the creators of this have done an amazing thing!

Retro arcade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are a saint! Thank you. Two follow-up questions...

(1) if I want it translated to English, should I apply the translation patch to the ROM before applying the mapper hack? (Or will applying the translation patch get in the way of the mapper hack?)

I just applied the MMC1 patch over my translated rom and it works fine in PC emulator. Can't test on the classic right now

BlackOutBilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cluster,

I just sent you a donation as a token of my appreciation. As if the program alone wasn't enough and all the other improvements, but the controller reset feature is huge. I would love to see the rapidfire/autofire in a future version as suggested by someone else.

I would encourage everyone to throw this man a few bucks for his efforts and time invested in making what Nintendo made good to now GREAT. Nintendo really should have hired you for this project!

TruMisery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chux I have played through Chapter 2 and so far, no issues with sound at all... the game still plays just as well as the original cartridge...

arminus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I uncheck all of the 30 original games, and re-add the same games, but through ROMs (with box art selected), will this result in more save states, or no change?

Also people are mentioning the hiding of all but 44 thumbnails, what do they mean? After 44 you stop adding boxart when you add games? Doesn't that just result in the bigger images above the smaller 44 appearing as empty space? To me that seems like it'd be really ugly.

I'm just gonna keep it at 80 games and hide og 30,

Guessing this means you have 50 playable games, since 30 of the 80 are hidden?

Last edited by arminus,

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I uncheck all of the 30 original games, and re-add the same games, but through ROMs (with box art selected), will this result in more save states, or no change?

Also people are mentioning the hiding of all but 44 thumbnails, what do they mean? After 44 you stop adding boxart when you add games? Doesn't that just result in the bigger images above the smaller 44 appearing as empty space? To me that seems like it'd be really ugly.

Guessing this means you have 50 playable games, since 30 of the 80 are hidden?

1. Thanks to /u/soulcatcher, there seems to be a magic number of 242 image asset slots (box art, thumbs, save states).
2. The original 30 games use up 106 of those 242 slots (60 for box art and thumbs, and 46 for pixel art and other hidden items).
3. If you were to hide the original 30 games and re-add as new ROMs, this would free up 46 image asset slots, but you would also lose screensaver pixel art.
4. What people mean by keeping 44 is that only 44 thumbnails are displayed on the home screen. Therefore, if you were to delete the ones that wrap around the sides (and are thus hidden), you would be freeing up more of those image asset slots. To do this, you go to the game folders (in your hakchi2 directory) of those specific games that have hidden thumbs on the home screen and individually delete the smaller of the two image files in that folder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just applied the MMC1 patch over my translated rom and it works fine in PC emulator. Can't test on the classic right now

Ooh this is exciting. Unable to test right now either, but can't wait to do it!

arminus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Thanks to /u/soulcatcher, there seems to be a magic number of 242 image asset slots (box art, thumbs, save states).
2. The original 30 games use up 106 of those 242 slots (60 for box art and thumbs, and 46 for pixel art and other hidden items).
3. If you were to hide the original 30 games and re-add as new ROMs, this would free up 46 image asset slots, but you would also lose screensaver pixel art.
4. What people mean by keeping 44 is that only 44 thumbnails are displayed on the home screen. Therefore, if you were to delete the ones that wrap around the sides (and are thus hidden), you would be freeing up more of those image asset slots. To do this, you go to the game folders (in your hakchi2 directory) of those specific games that have hidden thumbs on the home screen and individually delete the smaller of the two image files in that folder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ooh this is exciting. Unable to test right now either, but can't wait to do it!

Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the questions, I have a couple more. If you don't mind. So if I keep the original 30 games, and add 50 more but delete the extra thumbnails (but keep the box art for all the extra games) that will leave me with 72 total save states if my math is correct. 106 + 50 + 14 (30+14=44) = 170. 242 - 170 = 72.

Can you delete save states completely that exist for a game to free up a save state for a different game that has no save states? Or after reaching 72 you can't use save states for any other games that haven't been saved to?

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the questions, I have a couple more. If you don't mind. So if I keep the original 30 games, and add 50 more but delete the extra thumbnails (but keep the box art for all the extra games) that will leave me with 72 total save states if my math is correct. 106 + 50 + 14 (30+14=44) = 170. 242 - 170 = 72.

Can you delete save states completely that exist for a game to free up a save state for a different game that has no save states? Or after reaching 72 you can't use save states for any other games that haven't been saved to?
Your math is correct. I'm not sure about your second question, but essentially you would have 72 save states to use among all your games. Beyond that you will likely start to get errors when saving and trying to load those states.

**It should also be noted that the concept of the 242 magic number is still not a complete theory. It doesn't (yet?) account for how many games will trigger the c8 error. Clusterm was able to get to 180 with no art whatsoever loaded.

arminus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hid the original 30 (I think) by unchecking the box next to "original 30 games" and then resyncing with the NES mini. The screensaver thing is no real issue. I just watched it with the 30 games hidden and it still shows a screensaver, it just that it only shows the pixel art for mario and luigi in the background. It doesn't cycle through all the characters, but that's not really an issue, as long as it doesn't show an ugly white screen i'm fine with it just being a mario and luigi screensaver.

arminus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm strange issue a bit ago when trying to exit out of a game with reset button back to menu it gave black screen. Had to unplug system from USB to reset it. Went back in tried to load up a different game same thing happened again. Had to do same thing again to reset it. Then after that I was able to get into all the games just fine. I don't know what caused it??

nesito

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm strange issue a bit ago when trying to exit out of a game with reset button back to menu it gave black screen. Had to unplug system from USB to reset it. Went back in tried to load up a different game same thing happened again. Had to do same thing again to reset it. Then after that I was able to get into all the games just fine. I don't know what caused it??
Your mini NES RAM is almost full, make this test, power on mini NES and without enter any game power off, if get the normal message "now shutdown" it's ok but you will delete a save state or game to play without issues. If get C8 error or black screen you should flash original kernel and later add games(quit one game of the hakchi list) and synchro should be fine.

Rgs.

arminus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm def. not over the limit, that was with only 11 games installed on the system. I was looking at some stuff with the box art so I only had 11 games on it at the time.

Erdrick77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@arminus: I believe having only 11 games installed might be your problem. I read somewhere you will have problems if you have less than 30 games total installed.

OK, so I found a solution to my StarTropics problem. I kept trying different versions of the game until I found one that worked. Strangely enough, the only version that works is the one where the village chief refers to the Yo-Yo as a "Star" (this was changed in the Virtual Console release, and I'm assuming the same version is used in the NES Classic Edition). So there you have it, no patch needed, you just have to find the correct version of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4