Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

angelbless45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have some issues with 2.17. First time it all went smoothly. Synchronization fine, added 700 games. Then, i downloaded cover arts, added 5 new games and tried to synch. Now Im stuck at "Waiting for your NES Mini'.. any ideas on what I could do ?
Any ideas guys? I could use some help :( driver is installed and i can flash the kernell and install modules just fine :(...please Ive been trying for 8 hours now.

projections

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm pretty sure it's not a feature but I'll go ahead and ask anyway, just in case: is it possible to hide some elements from the NES Mini? Once SNES Mini hits the store shelves (and once it's hacked), I'd like to slap a Game Boy Advance in there as well with some extra SNES roms, but I would like the console UI to hide the RetroArch icon, and the GBA bios file which I've read is mandatory. So while they're still there in the system, they simply would not be visible. I think it would make the UI look a bit cleaner, showing simply the games and that's it. Is it something that could be done? What do you think @Cluster ?

So basically, my home screen, with folders, would then look like this:
[Game Boy Advance] [Super Nintendo A-K] [Super Nintendo L-Z]
but as you can see it would not be displaying an icon / folder for the RetroArch. The folders would only show games, and while the GBA bios file is residing in its corresponding folder, it would not be visible either.
I would really want this to be a thing!

bigjdoberman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have we been able to run Nintendo 64 games on the mini yet?? If so whats the best core to use and what do you change the argument line to??

Thanks Really want to get a couple of the star wars game from that system running on my mini.

Bigjdoberman

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I'm pretty sure it's not a feature but I'll go ahead and ask anyway, just in case: is it possible to hide some elements from the NES Mini? Once SNES Mini hits the store shelves (and once it's hacked), I'd like to slap a Game Boy Advance in there as well with some extra SNES roms, but I would like the console UI to hide the RetroArch icon, and the GBA bios file which I've read is mandatory. So while they're still there in the system, they simply would not be visible. I think it would make the UI look a bit cleaner, showing simply the games and that's it. Is it something that could be done? What do you think @Cluster ?

So basically, my home screen, with folders, would then look like this:
[Game Boy Advance] [Super Nintendo A-K] [Super Nintendo L-Z]
but as you can see it would not be displaying an icon / folder for the RetroArch. The folders would only show games, and while the GBA bios file is residing in its corresponding folder, it would not be visible either.
I would really want this to be a thing!
Are you adding the bios file as a game? I am not sure if I even understand this question, if you don't want RA on your home screen then simply don't add it (install just the hmod). If you have the bios file on your homescreen, you are really doing it wrong, again this should be added as a hmod. Use the bios template to add the bios to your system. In other words it is very possible to install RA and the bios file without it being visible on the home screen.

projections

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Are you adding the bios file as a game? I am not sure if I even understand this question, if you don't want RA on your home screen then simply don't add it (install just the hmod). If you have the bios file on your homescreen, you are really doing it wrong, again this should be added as a hmod. Use the bios template to add the bios to your system. In other words it is very possible to install RA and the bios file without it being visible on the home screen.

I haven't added anything besides NES roms to my NES Mini; I'm asking these questions in advance because:
a) I believe the SNES Mini will also be hacked and
b) I don't think it will be that much different from the NES Mini; if we can assume Cluster is interested in developing hakchi for the SNES Mini as well, then there's no reason to believe the program(s) would be that much different. Why would they be?
I'm curious if hakchi/RetroArch for the NES Mini has this feature I asked about, because if it does, then I feel safe assuming that feature could easily be implemented to the SNES Mini as well. I know this is speculation, but I think it's safe to assume this way.

Now, I'm basing pretty much all my current knowledge of using RetroArch and multiple emulators on the NES Mini, on this video:

which I know is dated, but trying to find videos that showcase putting GBA games on the NES Mini is surprisingly hard to find. In 3:38 he starts to add RetroArch to his hakchi program, and in 8:52 he starts to add GBA roms. He makes a notice about adding the bios file as well, because it's needed, according to him. Is he doing these steps wrong? In 12:55, his NES Mini is booted up and it shows the home screen. There, you can see the RetroArch - I would like it to be invisible, instead (if possible). In 13:31, he opens the GBA folder, and the first item is the BIOS - I would like that to be invisible, too.

If this is simply a case of the video uploader not knowing what he's doing and neither of those things should exist in the menus (or, if they're there simply because the hakchi development has progressed a lot further since that time), I'm more than happy to hear it. That means the feature I asked for is indeed already there. I hope this helped you understand what I was going after?

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I haven't added anything besides NES roms to my NES Mini; I'm asking these questions in advance because:
a) I believe the SNES Mini will also be hacked and
b) I don't think it will be that much different from the NES Mini; if we can assume Cluster is interested in developing hakchi for the SNES Mini as well, then there's no reason to believe the program(s) would be that much different. Why would they be?
I'm curious if hakchi/RetroArch for the NES Mini has this feature I asked about, because if it does, then I feel safe assuming that feature could easily be implemented to the SNES Mini as well. I know this is speculation, but I think it's safe to assume this way.

Now, I'm basing pretty much all my current knowledge of using RetroArch and multiple emulators on the NES Mini, on this video:

which I know is dated, but trying to find videos that showcase putting GBA games on the NES Mini is surprisingly hard to find. In 3:38 he starts to add RetroArch to his hakchi program, and in 8:52 he starts to add GBA roms. He makes a notice about adding the bios file as well, because it's needed, according to him. Is he doing these steps wrong? In 12:55, his NES Mini is booted up and it shows the home screen. There, you can see the RetroArch - I would like it to be invisible, instead (if possible). In 13:31, he opens the GBA folder, and the first item is the BIOS - I would like that to be invisible, too.

If this is simply a case of the video uploader not knowing what he's doing and neither of those things should exist in the menus (or, if they're there simply because the hakchi development has progressed a lot further since that time), I'm more than happy to hear it. That means the feature I asked for is indeed already there. I hope this helped you understand what I was going after?

If you only install the hmod containing RetroArch then it will be invisible, you can access the menu of RetroArch by pressing start and select. I don't even think the bios of GBA is necessary but if choose to install it, the best way to install it is through a hmod template. Again it will be invisible, I see no reason why the Youtube guy put it on the desktop of the NESCE.

projections

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you only install the hmod containing RetroArch then it will be invisible, you can access the menu of RetroArch by pressing start and select. I don't even think the bios of GBA is necessary but if choose to install it, the best way to install it is through a hmod template. Again it will be invisible, I see no reason why the Youtube guy put it on the desktop of the NESCE.

Got it. Thanks for your help!

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Do I hold both or release power and just hold reset

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just the reset or both
Step 1. Press and hold reset
Step 2. Whilst still holding reset press (tap) power
Step 3. Keep holding reset
Step 4. Keep holding reset
Step 5. Repeat steps 3-4 until the NES Mini is recognised by Hakchi2
Step 6. Release reset

Metaljl74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Step 1. Press and hold reset
Step 2. Whilst still holding reset press (tap) power
Step 3. Keep holding reset
Step 4. Keep holding reset
Step 5. Repeat steps 3-4 until the NES Mini is recognised by Hakchi2
Step 6. Release reset
That will help. Thanks for the help. I hope it finally works

TooMuchPower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have we been able to run Nintendo 64 games on the mini yet?? If so whats the best core to use and what do you change the argument line to??

Thanks Really want to get a couple of the star wars game from that system running on my mini.

Bigjdoberman

Yeah I'd like to know this as well, whats the best overall N64 core to use? I would love to get NBA HANGTIME for the N64 to work properly.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had limited success with N64. glupen64 works the best for me.

Mario 64 runs great. OoT runs OK. I've tested a few others, which either run slow as molasses, have graphical glitches, or crash within minutes. Pilotwings has graphical glitches. Star Fox runs slow and dark, Goldeneye is mostly unplayable. F-Zero X and Hydro Thunder play ok and then crash. Smash Bros. didn't play well.

Be sure to add games uncompressed if you want battery saves to work.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
NES Classic - Commodore 64 Test!

Have you sussed out how to map a key to the joystick? You showed turrican, which is an amazing game, but it's unplayable without being able to use the space bar (and selecting on the onscreen keyboard is useless when in-game)?

Also is it poss to map a second controller for multiplayer as I can't seem to get 2player ik+ games to work?

Last edited by MrTea,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you sussed out how to map a key to the joystick? You showed turrican, which is an amazing game, but it's unplayable without being able to use the space bar (and selecting on the onscreen keyboard is useless when in-game)?

Also is it poss to map a second controller for multiplayer as I can't seem to get 2player ik+ games to work?

There are a myriad of different formats, different versions, for any particular game. What was the space bar used for, in relation to Turrican? What was its key bind? As far as 2 Player Games. I generally have been 1 Player Testing. But, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it running with 2 Controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work