Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

coldslayer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not much of a hacker. I do have an understanding to a degree, I have hacked things like a PSP, but honestly who hasn't? I would like a dummied down version of how or if I can do few things.

1. With the homebrew can I attach a external hard drive to A. run emulators such as SNES or NDS. and B. can I get the hard drive to play the wii iso and gamecube iso?

I get the homebrew install http://bootmii.org/download/ to get the HackMii Installer and then follow Truth's guide http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

but there's things missing like which steps allow emulators vs. developer system region. I personally have no desire to test developer waters I just want to emulate.

KeeWay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a mirror for the smashstack exploit? i just picked up a Wii u and smash bros game but now for the past couple days i can't get to the wiibrew.org site to download the smashstack.zip file.

thanks

D

Deleted User

Is there a mirror for the smashstack exploit? i just picked up a Wii u and smash bros game but now for the past couple days i can't get to the wiibrew.org site to download the smashstack.zip file.

thanks

Site was just down , is back now.

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi can anyone help? Soft modded the wii part of my wii u today.

I have a hard drive that had games on it in wbfs format and they worked through configurable usb loader but not wii flow.

Tried to get GameCube games working so converted hard drive to Fat32.

However neither configurable usb loader or wii flow load the games and mentions it has to be wbfs format.

What can I do? At the minute I'd be even happy to convert back to wbfs if possible..

EDIT: Well i tried today, i dunno what it was (probably as it was getting late) but it's working now. I also changed partition in usb loader gx and choose the FAT32 one.

Still trying to get GC games working though.

unknownerrors

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
alphapirates.com
XP
Country
United States
A problem I think *could* happen, is that these boards are public. anyone can read them. So if a true full crash exploit were found and its details published here, Nintendo could close it and push the update and since a great deal of the wii u features are online this method would thwart our efforts over and over again until an exploit was played with enough to block updates/back patch.
With this in mind; My son has found a disc that crashes every time at the very same point. I have asked him to show me this and i can confirm that it does indeed crash. I'm not talking about a disc read error or anything like that, the system locks up and must be rebooted in order to be used again. This is a Wii U game as well.
anyone that knows what to do with some thing like this and will keep it under wraps until a method of blocking nintendo's blasted updates is found can contact me @
[email protected]

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way to exploit game crashes like that. At least, if you're looking for code execution. It's useless. There's no way to modify data to get it to do what you want. That's why the web browser is so good, because it accepts user input. Besides, that's (one of) the reason(s) why we plan to obsfucate the kernel exploit/next browser exploit, so that Nintendo doesn't want to bother trying to understand how it works. It's not necessarily that we don't want to kill the Wii U by enabling cheating/piracy (though that's another reason), it's that we want a long-lasting exploit so we don't have to update/modify it once it's finished.

Reactions: Margen67

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Besides, that's (one of) the reason(s) why we plan to obsfucate the kernel exploit/next browser exploit, [...]
Maybe my english is not good enough to get this right, I'm not a native speaker. But this reads like you have a kernel exploit ready and just have to do the obfuscation before releasing it.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a good chance the disc "crash" you are talking about is actually somewhat of a disc read error. My kids pull my COD games out of the U and don't handle them properly, sometimes smudging them. It still read but has trouble since not all the read data makes it through and causes the game to freeze (especially online). It requires the console to be turned off and if you want it to stop you have to clean the disc. I dunno maybe yours is different but id be willing to bet not.
In a different light, if you dd your data from the usb drive to your pc you can change ownership of the data. (its still encrypted but fun to play with)
You will realize the first part viewed in hex is the format of the drive (leave that part alone) then it appears the drive is written from the bottom up. (after the format follows zeros then data) If you change the data that follows the zeros but leave most of the last part it still gets recognized as your save data but when you go to load it you get an error. (this is how I figured out it is written from the bottom up) So far it's as useless as exploiting a disc read error but when we find something that will communicate with the console might be worth something of some sort of value. I dunno just thought I'd share.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So uh .. since Wii U cannot run Wii U isos yet, why are there isos floating about in the web? I mean it seems kinda pointless for people to go thru all the trouble to rip them and then people go and download them for .. what? You can't use them for anything can you?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did it just because, probably to encourage people to develop an IOSU exploit to be able to decrypt the data (which amusingly still hasn't happened because people are too busy with their personal lives to even try to learn how to do it)

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uh .. since Wii U cannot run Wii U isos yet, why are there isos floating about in the web? I mean it seems kinda pointless for people to go thru all the trouble to rip them and then people go and download them for .. what? You can't use them for anything can you?
Probably what NW said and a little testing the market for ode. Same thing with the "pre-orders". A lot of that type of stuff is to see how much of a market there is. As it takes a little bit of time to recover your investmenet from purchasing all the drive emulators.

Sharess

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think people are uploading them early on so that when it becomes available to load ISOs to External HDs people already have the games ready to go.

D

Deleted User

There useless at the moment for users.
Dolphin emulator can "see" the Wii U isos and tell what region it is if you've got a certain version of dolphin but definitely can't play them.
Currently no modchips and no homebrew means you can't play them on a real Wii U either.

This isn't a first. There was 3DS roms available to download before any 3DS flashcart was around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works