GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Motastic said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Motastic said:
The 3DS is an amazing device. I could care less if it is hacked. Piracy=More 3DS sales. No Piracy=Less 3DS Sales, More 3DS Games Sales. Its like pick your poison.
What?

Wouldnt you buy a 3DS because your favorite flashcart team came up with a new card for the 3DS? Besides that, I can safely say that thousands of 6 year olds have already pre-ordered it. Parents want to save more money so they turn to piracy. Get my point?
Honestly no, I maybe a flashcard collector, but honestly I don't want to see them on the 3DS, not this early at least.
Why would you encourage your children to pirate? Personally I would rather encourage my kid to support the gaming industry

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Motastic said:
Yeah but with the shape of the economy now and the price of the games, it may be the only choice to pirate.
Yes because getting the game for free fixes everything
rolleyes.gif
They need money to fix the economy, if people don't invest into it, then it's not going to get fixed.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
geez -.-

no, hacking a console wont kill it, there will always be games developed and sold.
stop pretending that anyone ever followed that kind of logic, noone ever did. its a typical exaggeration, people do that every day, every minute, every 2nd sentence is exaggerated.

see? the last one was obviously exaggerated. none the less, its essentially true.

people earn less money when flashcards and piracy is around.

yes, not every pirated game would be bought. we all know that.
but we also know that almost everyone who owns a flashcard hardly buys any game anymore at all.
its true. you know why? because theres so many flashcards being bought by parents thinking exactly like this:
"DURRRR? 20$ for every game? Why cant i buy in shop? Everyone would buy that"

the truth remains:
NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO BUY A GAME DOES NOT JUSTIFY TAKING GAMES FOR FREE
and getting anything for free, when its supposed to cost money, will lead to someone else losing money.

also, everyone knows that more 3ds sales can not possibly ever substitue for more game sales.
they hardly earn any money with the hardware, software and licenses are how they make the money.

Knowing that half the world will just steal your stuff, you'd think twice about putting any effort into something, wouldnt you?
This is a generalization many people with flash carts buy games
stores would not put precious flood and shelf space for ds games if no one was buying them
i am going to buy raidant historia as soon as i see it in stores and the only reason is that i played it on a pirates flash cart.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. Pirates only make up like 1% of a gaming system's consumer base, and most of them are poor and can't afford to buy games for the system anyways! I mean, if they couldn't buy them in the first place, they wouldn't have played the game, or they would have borrowed it, or maybe bought it used. Either way, very few game sales are actually lost to piracy.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motastic said:
Yeah but with the shape of the economy now and the price of the games, it may be the only choice to pirate.
rolleyes.gif
They need money to fix the economy, if people don't invest into it, then it's not going to get fixed.

If people don't have t he money to invest anyways, it isn't going to matter.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know piracy isn't anything new, but it still doesn't change the fact that the 3DS was just released yesterday, give it some time to grow before hacking it. At least let it have games worth getting instead of just jumping on it. It's not worth it and looks horrible if it's already been hacked.
I don't think you have to worry about the 3DS being hacked too quickly.

Outrager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motastic said:
Why isn't there the choice of just not buying the game and not playing it?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AaronUzumaki said:
Motastic said:
rolleyes.gif

That is true, but I am going to say one thing, the 3DS cost $249.99, honestly if you knew you couldn't afford it at the moment, it might have been a better idea to wait, then invest when you know you can invest. It's not like you need to get it right here, right now.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
deathking said:
Clydefrosch said:
geez -.-

no, hacking a console wont kill it, there will always be games developed and sold.
stop pretending that anyone ever followed that kind of logic, noone ever did. its a typical exaggeration, people do that every day, every minute, every 2nd sentence is exaggerated.

see? the last one was obviously exaggerated. none the less, its essentially true.

but we also know that almost everyone who owns a flashcard hardly buys any game anymore at all.
its true. you know why? because theres so many flashcards being bought by parents thinking exactly like this:

the truth remains:
and getting anything for free, when its supposed to cost money, will lead to someone else losing money.

also, everyone knows that more 3ds sales can not possibly ever substitue for more game sales.
they hardly earn any money with the hardware, software and licenses are how they make the money.

Knowing that half the world will just steal your stuff, you'd think twice about putting any effort into something, wouldnt you?

stores would not put precious flood and shelf space for ds games if no one was buying them
i am going to buy raidant historia as soon as i see it in stores and the only reason is that i played it on a pirates flash cart.

they dont buy half as many games as they would otherwise, one way or another.
and i never said that "noone is buying them"
just those that can get them for free hardly ever buy them anymore. most of them are kids. kids so very unlike the average temp-user. kids who couldnt even spell economy. kids who wont wish for games for christmas anymore cause they already get them for free
also you should stop believing everything someone writes on the internet.
if you actually belong to those few who still pay for something they already have for free (for other reasons than collecting games, never ripping them open and later sell them with a profit) wonderful, but you are a minority among flashcard users but you are still not any better.

QUOTE(AaronUzumaki @ Feb 28 2011, 01:48 AM)
Right. Pirates only make up like 1% of a gaming system's consumer base, and most of them are poor and can't afford to buy games for the system anyways! I mean, if they couldn't buy them in the first place, they wouldn't have played the game, or they would have borrowed it, or maybe bought it used. Either way, very few game sales are actually lost to piracy.

right, cause you know just how many flashcards were sold / consoles were hacked in relation to people who buy games normally and dont hack.
and you know exactly who bought them and for what reasons.

when I was a child, I did the following when i could not afford a game. and i did that all the time. I saved my weekly allowance of 0.50 DM (that would be about 0.35$ nowadays i think), money I got to buy lunch and my birthday, christmas and easter money for about 18 months to buy Super Mario Kart.
now just imagine, saving your money instead of buying an additionally psp to hack and not buy games for as well, thats supporting the economy and nintendo =D

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
The DS was hacked within 1 year of its release, and yet it went on to become the most successful handheld system of all time.
The wii was also hacked quite quickly, and its still the fastest selling console of this generation.
Practically every successful console EVER has been hacked.

Successful hardware and successful software aren't the same thing.

But yeah, I still agree with you. Publishers will still rally around the bandwagon so long as the hardware sells well. All signs point to 3DS being a successful system. That's not to say piracy won't hurt game sales. It's an argument that's been going on for a long time now; it hasn't stopped anyone from raking in what they can, though.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AaronUzumaki said:
Motastic said:
rolleyes.gif

That is true, but I am going to say one thing, the 3DS cost $249.99, honestly if you knew you couldn't afford it at the moment, it might have been a better idea to wait, then invest when you know you can invest. It's not like you need to get it right here, right now.
Correct. That is why most pirates won't be getting it at launch, or at all... Unless it gets hacked of course.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AaronUzumaki said:
AaronUzumaki said:
Motastic said:
rolleyes.gif

Correct. That is why most pirates won't be getting it at launch, or at all... Unless it gets hacked of course.
Honestly that's just dumb. Why would anyone want a hacked system so early knowing not only will there be very little games for it, more than likely the games won't be dumped till much later and by then Nintendo will have updated and added a feature to make the flashcards totally useless. It's a better idea now to buy the system later and buy the games, then pirate after the systems life span so there are games worth pirating and the technology won't be unstable and will be cheaper. Doing all that now where everything is fresh and new is just asking for a disappointment. Doing it when Nintendo drops the system (or at least a few years into it's life) is easier and cheaper.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
deathking said:
Clydefrosch said:
geez -.-

the truth remains:

they dont buy half as many games as they would otherwise, one way or another.
and i never said that "noone is buying them"
just those that can get them for free hardly ever buy them anymore. most of them are kids. kids so very unlike the average temp-user. kids who couldnt even spell economy. kids who wont wish for games for christmas anymore cause they already get them for free
also you should stop believing everything someone writes on the internet.
if you actually belong to those few who still pay for something they already have for free (for other reasons than collecting games, never ripping them open and later sell them with a profit) wonderful, but you are a minority among flashcard users but you are still not any better.

QUOTE(AaronUzumaki @ Feb 28 2011, 01:48 AM)

right, cause you know just how many flashcards were sold / consoles were hacked in relation to people who buy games normally and dont hack.
and you know exactly who bought them and for what reasons.

when I was a child, I did the following when i could not afford a game. and i did that all the time. I saved my weekly allowance of 0.50 DM (that would be about 0.35$ nowadays i think), money I got to buy lunch and my birthday, christmas and easter money for about 18 months to buy Super Mario Kart.
now just imagine, saving your money instead of buying an additionally psp to hack and not buy games for as well, thats supporting the economy and nintendo =D
That's cool. When I was a child, my parents couldn't afford to give me an allowance. I had to do chores, because my mom worked and my dad was a bitter drunk. If I wanted a game, I borrowed it, played it at a friend's, got it as a hand-me-down, or, in the rare case that I had money, rented it. Hell, my first game system was an NES with Mario/Dick Hunt, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Megaman 2. Mind you, I got this around when the N64 and PS1 were halfway through t heir life cycle from my grandpa who had just bought a Super Nintendo. Not everyone has money, and even if they do, not everyone has enough to save up. Besides, paying for gas and working support the economy fine all their own. Plus, the middle class all the way to the high-end class people can afford to support such luxuries as games, movies, and other forms of entertainment. You know what? Forget this, it isn't worth explaining or arguing over. [/rant]

P.S. I DO know how many people pirate as opposed to buy games, because I am God.

P.S.S. I'm not actually God. I just know how to utilize Google and its many useful features.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AaronUzumaki said:
AaronUzumaki said:
Motastic said:
rolleyes.gif

Honestly that's just dumb. Why would anyone want a hacked system so early knowing not only will there be very little games for it, more than likely the games won't be dumped till much later and by then Nintendo will have updated and added a feature to make the flashcards totally useless. It's a better idea now to buy the system later and buy the games, then pirate after the systems life span so there are games worth pirating and the technology won't be unstable and will be cheaper. Doing all that now where everything is fresh and new is just asking for a disappointment. Doing it when Nintendo drops the system (or at least a few years into it's life) is easier and cheaper.
That is my point exactly. It isn't hacked yet, and probably won't be anytime soon. Pirates (most of them anyway) aren't going to buy one for a few years (when it will probably be properly hacked and supported by hackers), unless of course they can afford to do otherwise, in which case, they don't really need to be a pirate. Also, flashcards are an unlikely method as an SD slot exists on the system.

EDIT: I just realized that you may have interpreted my previous post as "They won't buy it at launch unless it gets hacked," but I meant to associate the "hacked" part with the "at all" part, not the "launch" part.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AaronUzumaki said:
AaronUzumaki said:
AaronUzumaki said:
Motastic said:
rolleyes.gif

That is my point exactly. It isn't hacked yet, and probably won't be anytime soon. Pirates (most of them anyway) aren't going to buy one for a few years (when it will probably be properly hacked and supported by hackers), unless of course they can afford to do otherwise, in which case, they don't really need to be a pirate. Also, flashcards are an unlikely method as an SD slot exists on the system.
Well at least we can come to agreement with that
happy.gif

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
What people seem to forget that developers will continue to release games so long as they're making a profit. It doesn't matter if piracy cuts into that profit, so long as a profit is made. That's really all there is to it. They'd like the tens of thousands of sales that piracy does seem to take from them, but they won't explicitly go out of their way to do something until those tens of thousands of sales mean the difference between a profit and a loss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol