Hacking Hacking the 3ds WONT stop people from releasing games on it

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Lets face it, after so many years there's only 1 real DSi flash cart on the market, that does not work properly. I really dont expect a working 3DS-Mode flash cart this year or next year. Maybe 2013.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A Gay Little Catboy said:
tyrran said:
Alright, would you want to make games for a system if it's been hacked in little under a day?
I wouldn't. Plus with that said, must companies don't just work with Nintendo.
Hacking a 3DS this early looks terrible on Nintendo's end.

This is like arguing they should have stopped making games for the DS because GBA flash carts ran on it almost immediately. There is a monstrous library of GBA games, but the DS' primary function was to play brand new titles, not old ones. This is same for the 3DS. Almost every developer ever is eager to jump on board the 3D train, make new copies of their old games that have a bit of polish to them and score another win.

"Most companies don't just work with Nintendo" is also pretty ridiculous. The 3DS has attracted more developers than any Nintendo system since the Super Famicom, and we've got movie companies roped in as well, looking for a new platform to push their animated features on a new horizon.

400,000 units in a single day, in Japan. There were only 800,000 of the virtual boy after a full year, globally. I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to go the distance with this little 3D puppy, even if people figured out how to run their old, non-3D games on it for free.
True true, but at the time flashcards were no where near as available nor as popular back then and piracy wasn't as popular, so most people over looked that.

And yes not every company that make video games works just with Nintendo, they can just as easily go to another system. Yes they have attracted a lot of developers, but it doesn't mean they are all going to do anything or release their games.

And that is an impressive number, but I never said the system would fail, but games will still suffer

There are only 2 portable systems manufacturers in the world that count. They're Nintendo and Sony. Your argument is flawed. The developers can't turn to a different device, because such device doesn't exist. The iPhones are jailbroken, so are the iPads. While WIZ is quite cool, it revolves around emulation and open source anyways. WM7's crap, Microsoft should re-roll back to the WinCE core, at least it could multitask and supported both DirectX and OpenGL ES. The Xperia Play is quite cool, but underpowered compared to the 3DS and the NGP. The 3DS and the NGP WILL get hacked, rather sooner then later.

...so? What will the developers develop for? Valid question, isn't it? I'll tell you what they'll develop for.

The most popular systems, that being systems comming from Sony and Nintendo.

Also, how come flash cards weren't available easily? Since the grand opening of the magical "Internet", anything's available at arms reach. All it takes is looking for it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Foxi4 said:
tyrran said:
Alright, would you want to make games for a system if it's been hacked in little under a day?
I wouldn't. Plus with that said, must companies don't just work with Nintendo.
Hacking a 3DS this early looks terrible on Nintendo's end.

This is like arguing they should have stopped making games for the DS because GBA flash carts ran on it almost immediately. There is a monstrous library of GBA games, but the DS' primary function was to play brand new titles, not old ones. This is same for the 3DS. Almost every developer ever is eager to jump on board the 3D train, make new copies of their old games that have a bit of polish to them and score another win.

"Most companies don't just work with Nintendo" is also pretty ridiculous. The 3DS has attracted more developers than any Nintendo system since the Super Famicom, and we've got movie companies roped in as well, looking for a new platform to push their animated features on a new horizon.

400,000 units in a single day, in Japan. There were only 800,000 of the virtual boy after a full year, globally. I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to go the distance with this little 3D puppy, even if people figured out how to run their old, non-3D games on it for free.
True true, but at the time flashcards were no where near as available nor as popular back then and piracy wasn't as popular, so most people over looked that.

And yes not every company that make video games works just with Nintendo, they can just as easily go to another system. Yes they have attracted a lot of developers, but it doesn't mean they are all going to do anything or release their games.

And that is an impressive number, but I never said the system would fail, but games will still suffer

There are only 2 portable systems manufacturers in the world that count. They're Nintendo and Sony. Your argument is flawed. The developers can't turn to a different device, because such device doesn't exist. The iPhones are jailbroken, so are the iPads. While WIZ is quite cool, it revolves around emulation and open source anyways. WM7's crap, Microsoft should re-roll back to the WinCE core, at least it could multitask and supported both DirectX and OpenGL ES. The Xperia Play is quite cool, but underpowered compared to the 3DS and the NGP. The 3DS and the NGP WILL get hacked, rather sooner then later.

...so? What will the developers develop for? Valid question, isn't it? I'll tell you what they'll develop for.

The most popular systems, that being systems comming from Sony and Nintendo.

Also, how come flash cards weren't available easily? Since the grand opening of the magical "Internet", anything's available at arms reach. All it takes is looking for it.
Oh you~~~ Thinking that games that either A. Hasn't been started or B. Just started, can't be canceled or ported to another system like the PS3. The games haven't been released there for they can do whatever they feel they want to do with it.

They can develop for any other system, there are other systems out there and I am not talking about handhelds.
Flashcards weren't big and weren't cheap, back when I first bought my M3 Real the cheapest was 50$ the rest of the cards out there cost even more at the time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
nutella said:
Yuan said:
IIRC first flashcards on DS needed patching of roms, flashing the DS itself (or using passme etc).

No near as the drag and drop then play of today,
Yep. The actual practicality of piracy on the DS came about 3/4 years after it was released.

Some people have to patch games to this day. Nobody's really whining about it, it's not like it's rocket science. It doesn't take hours, it's not trial and error. "Drag and Drop" and "Patch" have about 1-5 minutes of a time difference.

Oh you~~~ Thinking that games that either A. Hasn't been started or B. Just started, can't be canceled or ported to another system like the PS3. The games haven't been released there for they can do whatever they feel they want to do with it.

They can develop for any other system, there are other systems out there and I am not talking about handhelds.
Flashcards weren't big and weren't cheap, back when I first bought my M3 Real the cheapest was 50$ the rest of the cards out there cost even more at the time.

50 bucks is still a steal for an infinite ammount of games.

Also, the PS3, the XBox 360 and the Wii are also hacked, I can't see where you're going here, but I can tell you it's a dead end. I'm not being mean, I'm just pointing out that your assesment of the situation is "wrong".

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

J/K

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
Yuan said:
IIRC first flashcards on DS needed patching of roms, flashing the DS itself (or using passme etc).

No near as the drag and drop then play of today,
Yep. The actual practicality of piracy on the DS came about 3/4 years after it was released.

not to mention 1st ds flashcards were expensive as hell, too! i would even go as far back as gba for that statement, too

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Foxi4 said:

Also, the PS3, the XBox 360 and the Wii are also hacked, I can't see where you're going here, but I can tell you it's a dead end. I'm not being mean, I'm just pointing out that your assesment of the situation is "wrong".

QUOTE said:
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

J/K
edgeworth-smirka.gif

It still a fact, Flashcards were not as easy and not every 13 year old with an internet connect could use them. Flashcards these days are cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to use. More and more people buy and use flashcards these days than ever before and that is a fact. Which means the same people will want to use them on the 3DS and will not want to stop on DS-Mode.
As well the other systems were indeed hacked, but not everyone can hack them as easily as the DS, and piracy isn't as big on them.
I am not saying they weren't hacked and people aren't afraid of their games being pirated, but I am saying it's not a cheap and easy thing to hack and pirate on as the DS.
As well with Sony's crusade against piracy and making it harder for pirates or even just hackers more companies will want to work with them. Of course that's only speculation. Either way to add to that, making 3DS games will cost more than any system adding the 3D tech to it. Piracy will hurt the game companies more at that rate

Zarxrax

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M[u said:
ddy]
But there is still publishers like THQ, who think piracy is the reason for the poor sales of their DS games.
I know it's stupid, but as long as some publishers believe it, we won't get any games from them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29396/T...mbat_Piracy.php
I wonder if they really believe that, or if its just a good excuse to tell their stockholders.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 said:

QUOTE said:
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

J/K
edgeworth-smirka.gif

It still a fact, Flashcards were not as easy and not every 13 year old with an internet connect could use them. Flashcards these days are cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to use. More and more people buy and use flashcards these days than ever before and that is a fact. Which means the same people will want to use them on the 3DS and will not want to stop on DS-Mode.
As well the other systems were indeed hacked, but not everyone can hack them as easily as the DS, and piracy isn't as big on them.
I am not saying they weren't hacked and people aren't afraid of their games being pirated, but I am saying it's not a cheap and easy thing to hack and pirate on as the DS.
As well with Sony's crusade against piracy and making it harder for pirates or even just hackers more companies will want to work with them. Of course that's only speculation. Either way to add to that, making 3DS games will cost more than any system adding the 3D tech to it. Piracy will hurt the game companies more at that rate

Sony's so-called "cursade" has done nothing except diverting their fans from them. Their attitude towards hacking and homebrew turned 180 degrees after the release of PS3. It all started nice with the PSX and the SDK they sold for it, it was just as swell with the Linux bundle for the PS2. It was supposed to be great with the PS3 aswell with OtherOS, but guess what? They pulled it off, and now they're chasing people who try to re-implement it. I say, "that's bullshit". IF I get a PS3 anytime soon, I will pirate games for it even more eagerly, ESPECIALLY games licensed by Sony and only if I'll buy one in the first place.

Using pirates on the PS3 is as easy as plugging in a USB stick. On the 360 it's a bit more complicated, but modchips are readily available and easy to put into the console, some are even solderless.

Making 3DS games will not cost more than making games for any other system, it will be consciderably LOWER due to low specs of the device and only 2 cores to work on. The 3D is based on a simple principle of "what's closer to the player pops out of the screen more", it's an integral part of the SDK and every developer we've heard so-far claims that making games for the 3DS is a pleasure and a breeze IF the studio has ever programmed for the Gamecube and the Wii.

Those 13 year old kids you're mentioning grew up and they're using flash cards now, but you seem to ommit the fact that they were replaced by different 13 year old kids who have no clue whatsoever about flashcards.

Piracy was always "cheap". No matter if the flash card is worth a 100 or 10 bucks, it's still a value. I have 100 games on my card, all are awesome. If I were to pay for every single one, I'd have to pay 2000 bucks at the very least.

Oh yeah, fancy picture time! X3

CartmanAuthoritah.jpg

Seriously X3

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BTW, the addition of cart based games on ngp could potentially allow flashcarts
both will be hacked eventually
i think the 3ds will be hacked befor the release of the ngp
whether it be cfw or flashcart
i personally like using homebrew
if nintendo could come up with a secure way to allow homebrew, they would have 100% support from all buyers
it would give sony fans insentve
but sadly, they would not
homebrew is free, takes away from official game sales and is insecure against piracy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Foxi4 said:
Foxi4 said:

QUOTE said:
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

J/K
edgeworth-smirka.gif

Sony's so-called "cursade" has done nothing except diverting their fans from them. Their attitude towards hacking and homebrew turned 180 degrees after the release of PS3. It all started nice with the PSX and the SDK they sold for it, it was just as swell with the Linux bundle for the PS2. It was supposed to be great with the PS3 aswell with OtherOS, but guess what? They pulled it off, and now they're chasing people who try to re-implement it. I say, "that's bullshit". IF I get a PS3 anytime soon, I will pirate it even more eagerly, if I'll buy one in the first place.

Using pirates on the PS3 is as easy as plugging in a USB stick. On the 360 it's a bit more complicated, but modchips are readily available and easy to put into the console, some are even solderless.

Making 3DS games will not cost more than making games for any other system, it will be consciderably LOWER due to low specs of the device and only 2 cores to work on. The 3D is based on a simple principle of "what's closer to the player pops out of the screen more", it's an integral part of the SDK and every developer we've heard so-far claims that making games for the 3DS is a pleasure and a breeze IF the studio has ever programmed for the Gamecube and the Wii.

Those 13 year old kids you're mentioning grew up and they're using flash cards now, but you seem to ommit the fact that they were replaced by different 13 year old kids who have no clue whatsoever about flashcards.

Piracy was always "cheap". No matter if the flash card is worth a 100 or 10 bucks, it's still a value. I have 100 games on my card, all are awesome. If I were to pay for every single one, I'd have to pay 2000 bucks at the very least.

Oh yeah, fancy picture time! X3

CartmanAuthoritah.jpg

Seriously X3
It still won't change the fact that video game developer will still use the hacks/piracy as an excuse for everything.
And on that note, it's only turning back on Sony because they are attacking an innocent dude in this case. I know of the USB stick, but as I said before not as many people use them, no where near as popular as compared to the number of people who use flashcards.
And hacking the 360 isn't as easy as plugging in a USB stick, some disk, or anything compared to the other systems.
I did not leave out the newer 13 year old kids since they are still using flashcards these days, I could post countless threads of parents asking "What's a good card for this 6 year old" So yeah even they know how to use flashcards. It's so easy even a 6 year old can use them.
Price is one thing, but it still doesn't exclude the fact that flashcards are mega cheap these days and so easy to get as compared to the old days.

Motastic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS is an amazing device. I could care less if it is hacked. Piracy=More 3DS sales. No Piracy=Less 3DS Sales, More 3DS Games Sales. Its like pick your poison.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see your point. I just disagree.

Modding the 360 is a breeze, you get detailed instructions with the chip you're buying. If it's solder-less, it's a matter of finding the right connectors on the board, hooking it up and closing the console. Just a few screws.

PS3-Breaks aren't as common as flash cards because the PS3 itself sold half the ammount of the DS. Don't worry, they'll be common bread in no time.

The developers are humans. They need sustinence, and to gain sustinance they will do what they do best - release games.

Piracy isn't something new, it's been around. There were times when it was tougher, there were times when it was easy-peasy. That's the circle of technology - new devices are released and the pirates hack them. You can't change the unchangable.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE should pirate games, hell no! What I'm saying is, pirate games when you want to have a sneak peak. If you enjoyed the game - buy it. I'm following that principle and I have a nice display of Sonic games I wouldn't part with, ever.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Zarxrax said:
M[u said:
ddy]
But there is still publishers like THQ, who think piracy is the reason for the poor sales of their DS games.
I know it's stupid, but as long as some publishers believe it, we won't get any games from them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29396/T...mbat_Piracy.php
I wonder if they really believe that, or if its just a good excuse to tell their stockholders.
Even if it's just an excuse, it still means no games from them for us.
frown.gif

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Foxi4 said:
I see your point. I just disagree.

Modding the 360 is a breeze, you get detailed instructions with the chip you're buying. If it's solder-less, it's a matter of finding the right connectors on the board, hooking it up and closing the console. Just a few screws.

PS3-Breaks aren't as common as flash cards because the PS3 itself sold half the ammount of the DS. Don't worry, they'll be common bread in no time.

The developers are humans. They need sustinence, and to gain sustinance they will do what they do best - release games.

Piracy isn't something new, it's been around. There were times when it was tougher, there were times when it was easy-peasy. That's the circle of technology - new devices are released and the pirates hack them. You can't change the unchangable.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE should pirate games, hell no! What I'm saying is, pirate games when you want to have a sneak peak. If you enjoyed the game - buy it. I'm following that principle and I have a nice display of Sonic games I wouldn't part with, ever.
To be honest, it's still not for everyone. Not everyone wants to open their system to do that.

And even with that point being there, it's still a fact, piracy isn't as common the PS3 period, I know it will be when it becomes easier, but at the moment it's not common, so developer won't think much about it.

I know piracy isn't anything new, but it still doesn't change the fact that the 3DS was just released yesterday, give it some time to grow before hacking it. At least let it have games worth getting instead of just jumping on it. It's not worth it and looks horrible if it's already been hacked.

Sadly not everyone does that, so many people just pirate games and that isn't good for the market. The reason I don't want an early hack is simply because I don't want to see everyone just pirating games for the sake of free games

Motastic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motastic said:
The 3DS is an amazing device. I could care less if it is hacked. Piracy=More 3DS sales. No Piracy=Less 3DS Sales, More 3DS Games Sales. Its like pick your poison.
What?

Wouldnt you buy a 3DS because your favorite flashcart team came up with a new card for the 3DS? Besides that, I can safely say that thousands of 6 year olds have already pre-ordered it. Parents want to save more money so they turn to piracy. Get my point?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
geez -.-

no, hacking a console wont kill it, there will always be games developed and sold.
stop pretending that anyone ever followed that kind of logic, noone ever did. its a typical exaggeration, people do that every day, every minute, every 2nd sentence is exaggerated.

see? the last one was obviously exaggerated. none the less, its essentially true.

people earn less money when flashcards and piracy is around.

yes, not every pirated game would be bought. we all know that.
but we also know that almost everyone who owns a flashcard hardly buys any game anymore at all.
its true. you know why? because theres so many flashcards being bought by parents thinking exactly like this:
"DURRRR? 20$ for every game? Why cant i buy in shop? Everyone would buy that"

the truth remains:
NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO BUY A GAME DOES NOT JUSTIFY TAKING GAMES FOR FREE
and getting anything for free, when its supposed to cost money, will lead to someone else losing money.

also, everyone knows that more 3ds sales can not possibly ever substitue for more game sales.
they hardly earn any money with the hardware, software and licenses are how they make the money.

Knowing that half the world will just steal your stuff, you'd think twice about putting any effort into something, wouldnt you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-