Gaming Guild Wars 2 - Official Hype Thread

Are you thinking of getting Guild Wars 2?

• Total voters

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
[quote name='I2aven's_Sage' timestamp='1329954163' post='4114374']
That site hates Firefox ~_~. Worked in Chrome.
[/quote]
worked well for me.

Signed up for Beta :yay:
1st MMORPG game likely to buy.

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm interested in it, but I likely wouldn't even play it after i bought it. Nice to see another action MMO, but Tera's combat looks infinitely better, so i'll be sticking with that.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GuildWars2 Official tweeted ArenaNet's thrill over getting over a million closed beta signups in the 48-hour window.
http://t.co/henXvmAE

They later added a video of the moment to their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150593729340945

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's awesome to finally have some real news about the upcoming beta and release of GW2~!

For US players subscribed to the GW2 newsletter, a recent announcement was sent out offering up Guild Wars 2 for official pre-order. The game itself is US$59.99, with Digital Deluxe priced at US$79.99. A price is not yet set for the Retail Collector's Edition, but the Digital Deluxe edition has all of the perks offered to the Collector's Edition players, minus the physical goods.
All pre-order customers will get bonus perks such as beta access and a three-day head start over retail buyers.
Source

Their FAQ has been updated to reflect system requirements and the (again) unspecific but expected launch date being "in 2012, TBD by beta feedback".
Here are some of the basic facts:
  • What type of game is Guild Wars 2?
At ArenaNet, we have one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever. To learn how we intend to do that, check out Studio Head Mike O'Brien's Design Manifesto blog post and our MMO Manifesto video!
  • Does Guild Wars 2 require a monthly subscription?
No, Guild Wars 2 does not require a monthly subscription. You just buy the game and play it online.
  • When is Guild Wars 2 going to be released?
We expect to ship Guild Wars 2 in 2012. The final release date will be determined by beta-testing feedback.
  • What are the minimum system requirements for Guild Wars 2?
Our goal with Guild Wars 2 is to have it run on a wide range of Windows gaming PCs.

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better • Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better • 2 GB RAM • NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better) • 25 GB available HDD space • Broadband Internet connection • Keyboard and mouse
Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.
  • What countries and languages will Guild Wars 2 be available in?
The retail release of Guild Wars 2 is intended for the Americas, Europe, Australia & New Zealand, Africa, and the Middle East. It will be available in English, French, and German, with a text-only localized version in Spanish.

edit: And yes, I've preordered the Digital Deluxe Edition. :wub:

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump for edit to 1st post and adding content:

So I logged in to this weekend's Beta Event, maxed out the graphics using the preconfigured "maxed" setting, and took a few screenshots just so people can see the high end of the spectrum, at least at present.

First impression: Graphical style is kind of a blend between the "realism" of Aion and the fluid but cartoonish Diablo 3. Feel free to elaborate if you have a different take.

Shot #1 -- Accepting the first quest as a Human Engineer.
3wYk0.jpg

Shot #2 - Found myself actually impressed that my character leans when standing on a slope. Haven't noticed this type of phyiscal reality implemented in other MMOs before.
9PeND.jpg

Shot #3 - Really heavy weather effects.
d3lQR.jpg

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Based on all the videos and screenshots i've seen, the graphics (currently) look about average. The UI is god awful but i'm definitely not expecting it to stay like it is.

The killing blow that stopped me from pre-ordering the game, was the fact it isn't actually an action game like it was supposed to be. You target people like any other MMO and you don't freakin' aim...I was really disappointed by that after hearing about this "action" MMO for so long. Though once the betas started, that suddenly stopped when I guess everyone saw "Er, this isn't action guys..."

Meh i'll probably still end up buying it eventually like GW1.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm fairly interested in TERA which you mentioned before, and managed to get 50% off on it with a coupon I earned through Raptr. But the no-subscription, "premium mmo" game idea still compels me. If TERA doesn't fetch me within 3* 4 months, I'd wind up spending the same on that as I've spent on the Digital Deluxe of GW2, which I won't have to resubscribe to to see the improvements along down the road. That really seems more worth it to me.
Since the last time I quit playing WoW regularly over a year ago, I've discovered that even when I want to play the game daily, I often can't. Such is life. So I can't justify a $14.99 subscription fee for anything outside of WoW, where it is only justified by the fact I have dozens of friends there and I got Diablo III for free with the annual pass (which I must see through until December if I don't want D3 to be revoked, and I don't mind that because I get to sample Mists of Pandaria as well on the closed beta).

I was surprised to learn you become locked to a single game server in GW2 as well. You'd have to pay extra to change realms which sucks if you find out your friends play after you get started and they're elsewhere.. They didn't even do that to players in Aion, though in the end they've had to consolidate the NA servers twice now that it's F2P, which is why I'm not going back even though it's free.. Aion is good, I'm just pissed that I got screwed when I spent a lot of money to stay subscribed in that game over the years that it was pay-to-play. It's now a cash-shop supported free-to-play in the NA market. (No VIP subscription option like with EU Aion's F2P has, last I checked).

It also seems to me that they're preparing GW2 to be a cross between the GW1 model (which pretty much had only cosmetic and game-content unlocks in the cash shop) and the Aion NA F2P model where there's more paid service incentives, in case they want to milk it a little more on the way to creating expansion content. I did not have the time this past weekend to check out the cash shop at all, so I could be wrong. The beta players were given "free" cash shop currency to try it out but I haven't had much time to myself to do more than the marginal analysis I've done so far :(

edit: didn't even realize the game with 1 free month. I'll cancel before they bill me the recurring 3-mo sub I signed up for if the game doesn't compel me in 1 month though.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything in the cash shop that isn't simply cosmetic can be found ingame through normal play via mystic chests and map/achievement completion chests.
Also, you can trade for gems (CS currency) with gold.

The graphics are about average, but the design is great.

There's still targeting, but there's physical hit boxes on everything so you can dodge and hide behind things or just move out of range. You don't get hit unless you're physically hit.
You can move while using pretty much any skill and you pretty much need to always be moving if you don't want to die horribly.
So...it's action-y but you always have a target locked on/don't need to aim.
Which is fine with me since it lets me pay attention to other things and the pace of the game remains fast.

I'm loving the game and have already gotten my money's worth and the game isn't even out yet.
It's also great seeing ANet actually fix/address complaints/suggestions we give them. BWE1 was quite different from BWE2.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played Guild Wars for a while, and Guild Wars 2 looks amazing.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting it just because I don't really have as much time to play videos games as I used to (Mainly just stick with portables now).

It looks amazing, but I might get it depending on when it comes out because of school.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just making a special occasion to bump this one more time, since the game was launched over the past few days. I'm personally involved with a small guild on the server Stormbluff Isle and I am truly loving the game.

If you are interested in playing on Stormbluff Isle (NA server) and are interested in a casual guild to start out with, send me a PM! (Guild name is Sacred [SD] in case anyone wondered) I can also be reached through the in-game friends list as "exangel.4172"

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you mean after buying the game in the first place, then yes. The freemium currency can be bought with in-game gold, so there's nothing you actually need to pay money for after buying the game.
I mean by pirating it of course ;) I know WoW had private servers somewhere down the line, so I guess it's possible with GW2 too?

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean by pirating it of course ;) I know WoW had private servers somewhere down the line, so I guess it's possible with GW2 too?

From what I know, there were never any Guild War 1 servers, due to it being a freemium game and other security dealios. But I could be wrong.

But I do highly HIGHLY doubt there will be any PServers for GW2. Just buy the damn game, it's worth it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Possible, yes. Has it happened? Not that I've heard. Will it happen? Maybe eventually, but not likely.

EDIT: To elaborate, nearly any MMO can have private servers created for it. All the game files are located on the local client, so all that's left is to bypass the normal servers with your own private ones, just like with WoW. The thing is, the effort you have to go to, against the number of people who would willingly join such a server knowing that they will get an inferior experience to the public servers, means that it does not make any sense for somebody to try (just think of how much it costs to run one of GW2's servers).

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only "solid" private WoW server I ever heard of with retail-like scripted dungeons was a Classic/Vanilla WoW reproduction. (This one actually had* a pretty solid player base on both factions, and I had a whole group of friends who played on it for several months just to revisit the Classic PVP experience, but they got frustrated after manually switching factions by starting over and not getting to 60 very fast as a group. *Don't know if it is still operational.. I could find out what it was called though)
Every other WoW private server I ever heard of (and I actually tried several at a time when a friend couldn't afford his sub) had to promote inflated exp or other non-retail-like experiences to compensate for poorly scripted or unscripted raid/dungeon encounters. Same with Aion, though that has gone F2P.

Due to the extent of the character story personalization branches and the necessity for multiplayer interaction to cue events in the various maps in GW2's world, I feel it would be an insane and impossible undertaking although a PVP only private GW2 might be plausible. In regards to the effort involved anyway. If a person or even a group of people had the skills to do such a thing they may as well apply to Arena Net and get paid to actually develop for them. On the other hand there's barely anything scripted in the 8v8 PVP system. just a few NPC enemies in a couple of the maps.

edit: removed unnecessary redundancy & added some details

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge