Canada
Last edited by RetroGamer02,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I personally find it fine.
Better than (standalone) mgba? which is unplayable slow with some demanding GBC titles, on old3ds.

In the other hand, gameyob-3ds sucks, and gameyob-dsi runs fine but seems blurry because of the additional scaling.

RetroGamer02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Better than (standalone) mgba? which is unplayable slow with some demanding GBC titles, on old3ds.

In the other hand, gameyob-3ds sucks, and gameyob-dsi runs fine but seems blurry because of the additional scaling.
I only have a Old 3DS and it works fine. =)
It also has linear scaling.

Reactions: Pin1988 and ber71

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I've noticed that specifically GB/A emulators on the 3ds just aren't super amazing.

I'm loading my 3ds with some GB/C roms right now and gnuboy(obviously). But having a good gameboy emulator could also pave the way for fullspeed gba on an old3ds(which should definitely be possible).
Post automatically merged:

For the first few tests I've been doing, they all run well.

OG Gameboy games have pretty warm colors(I have to set my screen temperature to 8000k for it to look black and white.

A romhack I have of Castlevania II: Belmont's revenge was probably the perfect test for this. Game ran well but there were stutters/a choppy frame rate that isn't present on mGBA(infact, a few games had this, nothing crazy though). Colors did look exactly like they do on mGBA. I tested it on an n3ds, both with regular clocks and downclocked to o3ds speeds. At o3ds speeds, it runs better than mGBA, infact, it runs better than n3ds speeds which run the games choppier than o3ds speeds. The issue seems to be with 804mhz and not the l2 cache.

Overall, for being a young emulator, this is amazing, outside of n3ds fps issues.

My only real issue is that you have to press the dpad down multiple times depending where your roms folder is. May I suggest that gnuboy automatically looks for a "roms/gb" path or "/roms/" path in general?

Last edited by XRTerra,

RetroGamer02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I've noticed that specifically GB/A emulators on the 3ds just aren't super amazing.

I'm loading my 3ds with some GB/C roms right now and gnuboy(obviously). But having a good gameboy emulator could also pave the way for fullspeed gba on an old3ds(which should definitely be possible).

For the first few tests I've been doing, they all run well.

OG Gameboy games have pretty warm colors(I have to set my screen temperature to 8000k for it to look black and white.

A romhack I have of Castlevania II: Belmont's revenge was probably the perfect test for this. Game ran well but there were stutters/a choppy frame rate that isn't present on mGBA(infact, a few games had this, nothing crazy though). Colors did look exactly like they do on mGBA. I tested it on an n3ds, both with regular clocks and downclocked to o3ds speeds. At o3ds speeds, it runs better than mGBA, infact, it runs better than n3ds speeds which run the games choppier than o3ds speeds. The issue seems to be with 804mhz and not the l2 cache.

Overall, for being a young emulator, this is amazing, outside of n3ds fps issues.

My only real issue is that you have to press the dpad down multiple times depending where your roms folder is. May I suggest that gnuboy automatically looks for a "roms/gb" path or "/roms/" path in general?
Thank you for the excellent feedback! I have attached a version of the emulator that will hopefully only enable the l2 cache for now since I only have an old model 3ds this will specifically need testing. If you would be so kind as to let me know if it runs better that would be great. I don't know why the higher clock speed causes trouble yet. I also set the rom directory to the roms on the sd cards root sdmc:/roms.

Attachments

• GNUBoy-3DS-Cache Test.zip
    229.8 KB · Views: 23

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the excellent feedback! I have attached a version of the emulator that will hopefully only enable the l2 cache for now since I only have an old model 3ds this will specifically need testing. If you would be so kind as to let me know if it runs better that would be great. I don't know why the higher clock speed causes trouble yet. I also set the rom directory to the roms on the sd cards root sdmc:/roms.
It crashed after opening my GB file after it boots to the Roms section. I'm determined to test a game out though, so I'm going to put a gb game just in the root of /roms/

Game works fine, but it doesn't enable the L2 cache(probably conflicting with Luma's settings) so I'm gonna do some troubleshooting to see if I can get it to enable the l2.

RetroGamer02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It crashed after opening my GB file after it boots to the Roms section. I'm determined to test a game out though, so I'm going to put a gb game just in the root of /roms/
It could be I did not do the N3DS Cache setting properly. If so try this one that has no New 3DS Specific code.

Attachments

• GNUBoy-3DS-No N3DS Code.zip
    229.7 KB · Views: 21

RetroGamer02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks RetroGamer02 for this emulator. I did not test previous versions but on my side I noticed this (only tested on O3DS at the moment) :
- games are not smooth, it is like there is frameskip
- speed in some games seems to be too fast (i.e. DK country GBC)
- For some reasons, the file browser does not see some of my roms

What could be great :
- DMG "green" colour for GB games
- scroll faster the game list
- the Police is not that good to be honest, it is diffult to see some letters (i.e. "B" looks like a "E")

RetroGamer02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks RetroGamer02 for this emulator. I did not test previous versions but on my side I noticed this (only tested on O3DS at the moment) :
- games are not smooth, it is like there is frameskip
- speed in some games seems to be too fast (i.e. DK country GBC)
- For some reasons, the file browser does not see some of my roms

What could be great :
- DMG "green" colour for GB games
- scroll faster the game list
- the Police is not that good to be honest, it is diffult to see some letters (i.e. "B" looks like a "E")
I will do what I can to fix these issues and thank you very much for the feedback.
If you want to I can send you a dev build and you could tell me if speed issues persist.

New version: https://github.com/RetroGamer02/gnuboy-3ds/releases/tag/3ds-V0.5.3

Can load bios from /3ds/GNUBoy/
If using bios please use both gb and gbc bios roms or it could cause errors.
Speed Ups
More Video Options
Actual DMG Colors for GB games
Fixed 2 small sound bugs.
New 3DS Enhancements are disabled until they can be properly tested.
Can use left and right in menu to skip a few items.
Dpad movements should now be correct had some occasional odd movements before.
Joystick has been disabled for now its code still needs to be rewritten when I can.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant wait to try this i have wanted a good gameboy (color) emulator since i modded my 3ds any chance we can get a
GNUBoy CIA?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice also what roms did the selector not see? What extension did they have and when you said the Police is not that good I assume that's a game?
It does not see some standard .gb and .gbc roms. For example I have a mario.gb (super mario land) that is not showing in the browser. I had to download another rom. My Zelda roms are also affected. I need to investigate because I have some .sav files generated by other emulators.
About the Police, I talk about the rom browser.

EDIT : TESTED the previous build 0.5.2 on N3DS and it works on my side. The emulator behave the same as on O3DS : no smooth scrolling but full speed on all games except few GBC games such as Aladdin or DKC.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright