Hacking Getting a second 3DS for legit-now/exploit-later, which model?

Which 6.x 3DS should I buy?

• Total voters

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you like the size of your XL, get another one. Otherwise you'll have the preferred console and "that other one I don't like so much". Since the consoles are pretty much the same in terms of games and gameplay, ergonomics should be the priority in this case.

Just my two cents.

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unless it is a limited edition (zelda,pokemon)....it would be a real money waste to buy another 3ds xl...that is just my thought

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Unless it is a limited edition (zelda,pokemon)....it would be a real money waste to buy another 3ds xl...that is just my thought
tbh the price difference between the standard and XL is not much, if he would enjoy using a XL more than a standard 3DS and doesnt really mind paying a extra £20-£30 i would suggest an XL, same for the 2DS it isn't really cheap enough to warrant consideration imho this is based on second hand price, if your not in a rush i would suggest hanging on a little bit and waiting till you get that killer deal price on either model like i picked up a spare 4.x 3DS standard for £30 with Mario 3D Land and another 4.5 standard 3DS for £40, i wouldn't of picked them up if they were not bargain prices though :P

plus i would still recommend you keep an eye out for a 4.x console, you could take a nand dump then update and if you ever need to downgrade you have the option too.......say if your current 4.x console is damaged or lost and the price of 4.x consoles keeps going up

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Buy a second 4.5 (XL or orig, suckers are still out there!) 3ds, backup the NAND, and then update it.

This option gives you more choices. You may not be in the mood to mod it now, but that could always change in the future with advances in homebrew technology.

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from checking the inventory of the nearby stores to see what was available. The 2DS bundle at target was not worth it as the digital copy of pokemon is indeed preinstalled instead of a download code. Got to hold one at Gamestop, and I'm actually liking it. With the nerf armor, the 2DS should be at a pretty good thickness for my hands to hold.

I could see myself using it whenever I felt like busting out the DSTWO, as the XL's screens sometimes stretch the DS graphics too much. Plus that would save me about 8 steps of exiting and reinstalling Gateway mode each time on the XL. Unless I find a good deal on craigslist for a Zelda edition XL, I think I'm going to go with a 2DS.

Sidenote: Local Wal-Mart had about 6 of the Blue 3DS XL Mario Kart 7 bundles. Aren't those Gateway-compatible? I have a friend who's looking to make the upgrade from his zelda og 3ds. I figured it'd be the perfect buy so he can keep his zelda 3ds for his retail carts and have the XL for Gateway use.

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
gamesquest1 said:
tbh the price difference between the standard and XL is not much, if he would enjoy using a XL more than a standard 3DS and doesnt really mind paying a extra £20-£30 i would suggest an XL, same for the 2DS it isn't really cheap enough to warrant consideration imho this is based on second hand price, if your not in a rush i would suggest hanging on a little bit and waiting till you get that killer deal price on either model like i picked up a spare 4.x 3DS standard for £30 with Mario 3D Land and another 4.5 standard 3DS for £40, i wouldn't of picked them up if they were not bargain prices though :P

plus i would still recommend you keep an eye out for a 4.x console, you could take a nand dump then update and if you ever need to downgrade you have the option too.......say if your current 4.x console is damaged or lost and the price of 4.x consoles keeps going up
:blink:30?40?Where the heck did you find them at that price?used ones on ebay?must be nice up North....
anyway here in italy i can quite easily find a 3ds xl on 150€ and 2ds on 100€ in the stores...but i really don't have money to waste getting a spare one,and killer deals i don't see them here...(100€ on a new 3ds xl i may do that...)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
:blink:30?40?Where the heck did you find them at that price?used ones on ebay?must be nice up North....
anyway here in italy i can quite easily find a 3ds xl on 150€ and 2ds on 100€ in the stores...but i really don't have money to waste getting a spare one,and killer deals i don't see them here...(100€ on a new 3ds xl i may do that...)
well the one for £40 was in a second hand shop, it had a quite bad scratch on the touch screen, but a £2 replacement digitizer off ebay fixed that, the £30 one was off some guy who does house clearances think he thought it was just the bog standard DS lite :P

as i said i didn't really go out looking for them just stumbled on them, got lucky i suppose :D the £30 had a few eshop games on too.
another cool story of being in the right place at the right time i managed to pick up as Debug PS3 for £25 in a second hand shop as faulty because they couldn't play games on it :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM