Hacking Emulation New to 3DS / 2DS Homebrew Questions

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about buying a 2DS XL for hacking, so I have lots of questions. Was hoping for a small sticky post on the latest few, focusing on a few points. I only have experience with Vita and Playstation Classic Homebrew. Here are my questions:

Firmware: Is the latest firmware hackable? And if not, what firmware range is safe? Would the stock firmware (out of the box if I find one new) be within this range?

Games: I hear the eShop has been shut down. Is there an app (like PKGJ on Vita) for downloads? Or a website with everything?

Storage: What's the largest card supported? I know 32GB is the official answer, but I used a 256GB card in the past (I'm at 1TB on my Vita and hopefully could at least use my old 512GB card on the 2DS). Is FAT32 format still the only option or have other filesystems been opened up (Like NTFS & EXFAT added to Playstation Classic).

Performance: How powerful is the 2DS XL in regards to emulation? I'll mainly use it for 3DS & DS games, which Vita & PSC can't reliably emulate. But SNES and the rest, etc would be nice too. And how does the browser (Opera?) compare to Vita's? (Netfront?).

Thanks

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was hoping for a small sticky post on the latest few
There are several stickies. Did you try reading any of them? Like the one titled "3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here" ?

Almost everything you need to know is at https://3ds.guide .

Is FAT32 format still the only option
Yes, but you can use a card larger than 32 GB if you use something other than the standard Windows Format utility. Cards larger than 128 GB can start causing subtle problems. (But really, unless you're installing heaps of stuff you're not going to play, even 64 GB is plenty.)

Performance: How powerful is the 2DS XL in regards to emulation?
PSX and N64 are just barely possible.

And how does the browser (Opera?) compare to Vita's? (Netfront?)
It's a custom Webkit-based thing. Even when it works well, the resolution is too low to make it comfortable.

Reactions: CoolMe

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several stickies. Did you try reading any of them? Like the one titled "3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here" ?
That's nearly 3000 pages long. It would take me years to read, especially on a Vita browser. Not to mention that since so much has changed over the years and has solidified with the discontinuation of many services, a digest isn't much to ask for.

Almost everything you need to know is at https://3ds.guide .
I did read that. My questions remain.

Yes, but you can use a card larger than 32 GB if you use something other than the standard Windows Format utility. Cards larger than 128 GB can start causing subtle problems. (But really, unless you're installing heaps of stuff you're not going to play, even 64 GB is plenty.)
Sure 3DS games are smaller than Vita, sure. But I do like multi-purpose cards (movies, etc). What kind of problems are known for larger cards?

PSX and N64 are just barely possible.
Thanks. Good to know. I'll keep my PSC and Vita for these.

It's a custom Webkit-based thing. Even when it works well, the resolution is too low to make it comfortable.
That might be more promising than I remember. And if it can open local files (Vita can't), even better.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's nearly 3000 pages long. It would take me years to read, especially on a Vita browser. Not to mention that since so much has changed over the years and has solidified with the discontinuation of many services, a digest isn't much to ask for.
That still doesn't mean you can't ask your questions there just like everyone else instead of starting your own new thread, Too late now.

But I do like multi-purpose cards (movies, etc).
With the low resolution of the screens, the 3DS is thoroughly sub-optimal for viewing movies.

What kind of problems are known for larger cards?
Boot times can be slower. The native GBA mode stops working properly. Some custom themes might not load correctly. Some games may have difficulty saving, but there is no definitive list. And of course if the card fails, you stand to lose that much more data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols