Hacking Getting a second 3DS for legit-now/exploit-later, which model?

Which 6.x 3DS should I buy?

• Total voters

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a 3DS XL on 4.5 which I use with my Gateway on a nearly daily basis. However, I'm looking at getting a second 3DS to use with my retail Pokemon carts, as I'm still on the fence about getting a Powersaves dongle. It'd also be kept at 6.x, for when the exploits for that eventually see the light of day.

The decision I'm having trouble making is deciding which model of 3DS to buy. I love the size of the XL, but I'm not sure if I'd use the second 3DS enough to justify the price. The 2DS has a great pricepoint, but I'm unsure about how comfortable it'll be in my hands and if I could put up with the mono speaker. I know at this point it would seem like the OG 3DS would be the ideal middle ground, but all of my experiences with those have ended with cramped hands.

One thing to note is that I find the Nerf armors practically indispensable for the added thickness allows the 3DS XL to sit comfortably in my hands. Therefore, getting a special edition shell isn't a major selling point to me as it'd be covered by armor. The only plus of getting a SE would be whatever pack-in game comes with it.

I probably won't buy it until at least next weekend, so that leaves plenty of time for the pros and cons of each to be weighed. Thanks for taking the time to put up with yet another "Which 3DS to buy" thread!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
someone has more money to spend than he knows what to do with it.

you have a gateway? right?

why do you just use emuNAND classic mode to play Pokemon. if a 6.x 3DS becomes exploitable just get a game to update to that version.

i recommend you get a Wii U. if you get the Mario Kart 8 bundle you get a free game.

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait...
i believed you can use a retail card in GW's classic mode just like you would in a normal console (no GW at all).
is there still any limitation?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The limitation is that you cannot use new eShop releases, as they can have the 7.X keys that don't work with emuNAND. Right now, there is little reason to have a second system.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Get one of these:
IMAG1523-noscale.jpg

They are damn sexy.
Comes with 6.1.0.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing that I will say about your plan is that you may have to reconsider your desire to keep the unit on 6.x. If you are buying it for Pokemon, I'm assuming that you will want to trade online. In order to trade over Wi-Fi, you have to have the patches installed. Since those are on the SD card and not on the cart itself, you will have to download those from the eShop on the new unit if they cannot be transferred over by direct copying (I know that digital saves cannot be swapped this way, but I'm not sure about patches.) If you have to get the patches from eShop, you will have to have up to date firmware to get there.

Other than that, I have two identical 3DS XL units (one modified and one normal.) You can get some very nice units off of eBay for cheap, and I would recommend checking there. They have a great variety of units to choose from and some great prices.

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I use classic mode with my retail pokemon carts, then I couldn't use that cart in any other non-emuNAND 3DS. If I read through the Powersaves threads correctly, then I wouldn't be able to use that with my carts either. Thus, it seems like I have to buy a second cake if I want to eat it and have it too.

Having a second handheld is a behavior I picked up back in the DS lifecycle. I got tired of discovering awesome multiplayer games, only for most of my friends to not have DSes nor flashcarts. So I decided to always have a second handheld to be P2. It was something that I had always planned for; just waiting for that "stars in alignment" moment between price/hackability/legitimacy.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I use classic mode with my retail pokemon carts, then I couldn't use that cart in any other non-emuNAND 3DS. If I read through the Powersaves threads correctly, then I wouldn't be able to use that with my carts either. Thus, it seems like I have to buy a second cake if I want to eat it and have it too.

Having a second handheld is a behavior I picked up back in the DS lifecycle. I got tired of discovering awesome multiplayer games, only for most of my friends to not have DSes nor flashcarts. So I decided to always have a second handheld to be P2. It was something that I had always planned for; just waiting for that "stars in alignment" moment between price/hackability/legitimacy.

You read the Powersaves content correctly.

I also hear you on the buying multiple units. I do the same thing for the same reasons.

Reactions: zhdarkstar

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

all my friends are bros... and are into FIFA and COD. so what do i do? in this day and age.. make friends online... to trade and battle.

picture related

14114707.jpg

Reactions: IronClouds

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the XL/2DS that come with Pokemon, is it something that is already preinstalled or is it a download code? That may sway my hand as that would leave me with two retail carts for use with the 6.1 handheld and a digital copy of one on my emuNAND with full online capability.

EDIT: Having the second handheld isn't something I'm doing just for its utility with Pokemon. It'll be useful for Download Play titles like Mario Party Island Tour and so I can use my retail copy of Bravely Default to send nemesis to my Gateway save that I've already put dozens of hours into. Pokemon just happens to be the legitmacy side I was talking about.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the XL/2DS that come with Pokemon, is it something that is already preinstalled or is it a download code? That may sway my hand as that would leave me with two retail carts for use with the 6.1 handheld and a digital copy of one on my emuNAND with full online capability.
The Japanese versions actually had the game installed. Usually, the US special versions come with a code now to download the game (I can confirm this with the latest Zelda bundle.)

If I recall correctly though, the US special Pokemon versions actually didn't come with the game or a code to download it. For some odd reason, they decided to release those shortly before X/Y launched.

Edit: I was right. They do not include the game. Here is a link to Nintendo's announcement related to that system's release.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/U3fqxnhptgTTL5TDv4ERfFkUn2dgOrMA

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I really cannot see the point in getting another 3DSXL just for Pokemon tbh but in your position I would get a standard 3DS just to say you have both, the 2DS's suck but are good for Mario games, apparently!

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Japanese versions actually had the game installed. Usually, the US special versions come with a code now to download the game (I can confirm this with the latest Zelda bundle.)

If I recall correctly though, the US special Pokemon versions actually didn't come with the game or a code to download it. For some odd reason, they decided to release those shortly before X/Y launched.

Edit: I was right. They do not include the game. Here is a link to Nintendo's announcement related to that system's release.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/U3fqxnhptgTTL5TDv4ERfFkUn2dgOrMA
If that's the case, then I'm leaning towards a 2DS, as the Target near me still have one with a code for Pokemon. You deduct the price of the game, and the 2DS comes in at under $100. I'm just not entirely sure about the ergonomics of the 2DS, as most retailers here don't have a demo unit.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2DS seems clunky to me, personally. If you live near a GameStop, go see if they have a preowned one. They will let you check it out if you ask (at least mine will.) If you like how it feels, then the Target bundle sounds like a good deal.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
A 2DS, if you could imagine is like having a normal 3DS open 24/7 but not being able to shut it, ever! could you imagine carrying one of those around with you in your pocket, not very user friendly in my opinion! Its like a big piece of toast popping out of your toaster in the morning!

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i would go for the 2ds...but if you're planning to keep them to 6.x i'd say "forget it don't buy any"
there is a point in buying a second 3ds only for one reason and that is the online (and trading comes along with it) and so you need to have it to the latest fw.
so if you understand that don't buy any if you wanna keep them at 6.x,buy one (2ds is my advice) and keep updating it

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 2DS, if you could imagine is like having a normal 3DS open 24/7 but not being able to shut it, ever! could you imagine carrying one of those around with you in your pocket, not very user friendly in my opinion!

It wouldn't be my main handheld, so portability isn't an issue. Screen protectors and armor are always purchased alongside the system, so I've got protection covered. Not entirely happy that the 2DS lacks a wifi switch. That means no connecting it to the internet unless I wanna deal with the update prompts.
i would go for the 2ds...but if you're planning to keep them to 6.x i'd say "forget it don't buy any"
there is a point in buying a second 3ds only for one reason and that is the online (and trading comes along with it) and so you need to have it to the latest fw.
so if you understand that don't buy any if you wanna keep them at 6.x,buy one (2ds is my advice) and keep updating it
The online component of Pokemon was never a major selling point to me. The only other online game I have that requires patching goes online just fine with Classic mode on my 3ds xl. This is me getting my second system for modding purposes. I know that we have no idea when the 6.x exploit will be released, but it'd be smart for me to get a 6.x system now before we start seeing 7.x retail units. The pokemon part is so that I don't run the risk of losing my progress if/when Classic mode uses the proper save keys instead of the 4.5 keys.

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just get a NAND mod installed in your 4.x console and just upgrade/downgrade whenever you want?

Because a) don't have the skill to do it myself, b) don't feel like going through the hassle of sending it off to someone I don't personally know to install it, and c) it doesn't address the reason I'm buying a second handheld.

I'm buying it so I have a Player 2 system. Not all of my friends mod their systems, so I find it easier to have a second modded system for local multiplayer games. That way I'm not bound by the spending habits of my friends in order to play the games I like with them.

There's only so much of playing against the computer you can take in fighting games, since we don't have online with 3ds flashcarts. Not to mention local multiplayer is going to be the only kind left for DS games once Ninty pulls this plug this month.

Owning a second handheld was an inevitability for me. The only questions for me were "when" and "which model", and I already found my answer for the former. Now I'm simply seeking the advice of others to help decide my answer to the latter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol