I want to remedy my 3Ds which is broken

sinneslochen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi all! I want to thank in advance for any help. I have an old 3DS XL Model on the back says: SPR-001 (USA). I've had this since 2013 and have taken many photos from the camera app and I'd like to reminisce. Seems like there is an issue when I try to open the camera app, AR app it crashes, and when i try to go into System Settings and see the "Front Cameras" My 3ds crashes. I dont believe there is anyone in Nintendo who can repair it, and no hobbyists who can repair not anywhere near me! The only option is to care for the 3DS myself. I know this forum is for mostly hacking but it's the first result for searching problems like mine on the internet. Is it a good option to try and repair the 3ds or should i take out the SD card and put it in another 3ds? Would "System Transfer" be good, but will that get rid of my images on my 3DS camera app? I would really appreciate feedback since I'm not a skillful person with technology. Thank you!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all! I want to thank in advance for any help. I have an old 3DS XL Model on the back says: SPR-001 (USA). I've had this since 2013 and have taken many photos from the camera app and I'd like to reminisce. Seems like there is an issue when I try to open the camera app, AR app it crashes, and when i try to go into System Settings and see the "Front Cameras" My 3ds crashes. I dont believe there is anyone in Nintendo who can repair it, and no hobbyists who can repair not anywhere near me! The only option is to care for the 3DS myself. I know this forum is for mostly hacking but it's the first result for searching problems like mine on the internet. Is it a good option to try and repair the 3ds or should i take out the SD card and put it in another 3ds? Would "System Transfer" be good, but will that get rid of my images on my 3DS camera app? I would really appreciate feedback since I'm not a skillful person with technology. Thank you!
If you are just after the photos you have taken. If you have a sd card reader for the pc, you can remove the sd, insert the sd to the pc. And from in there you will find a folder called DCIM. That DCIM folder holds all your photos you can copy to a pc or other place to backup and store.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

sinneslochen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you are just after the photos you have taken. If you have a sd card reader for the pc, you can remove the sd, insert the sd to the pc. And from in there you will find a folder called DCIM. That DCIM folder holds all your photos you can copy to a pc or other place to backup and store.
Really, i didn't know that?! Do you have a reccomendation for a card reader that will work excellently or is it ok to buy the cheap one just off of amazon? and Yeah, I'm just after the photos but it would be nice also to save the sounds from my . They don't have trouble working on the 3DS just would like to save elsewhere!

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Really, i didn't know that?! Do you have a reccomendation for a card reader that will work excellently or is it ok to buy the cheap one just off of amazon? and Yeah, I'm just after the photos but it would be nice also to save the sounds from my . They don't have trouble working on the 3DS just would like to save elsewhere!
Assuming your PC has a USB-C port, try this. I have it and it is e-e-e-excellent!! as wario would put it.
usb-c hub that reads sd cards good
No USB-C? No problem. Just get this as well:
good usb-a to usb-c port adapters

Now, based on how the system crashes when it tries to access the cameras... it seems like a hardware issue.

Got another system? Just perform a system transfer!!!!! It'll copy EVERYTHING that's on the system memory (photos that were taken without the SD card, save data for Faceraiders, AR Games, and Streetpass Mii Plaza, etc etc) and will also make your current SD card useable on the target system.

If you really wanna be extra sure though, an SD card backup won't hurt.
Post automatically merged:

GOD DAMMIT HOW THE FUCK DO I LINK TO SHIT ON AMAZON WITHOUT THIS STUPID SITE AUTOCORRECTING IT TO BE A BUNCH OF LINEBREAKS

there. sorry for yelling but godDAMN

sinneslochen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Assuming your PC has a USB-C port, try this. I have it and it is e-e-e-excellent!! as wario would put it.

No USB-C? No problem. Just get this as well:

Now, based on how the system crashes when it tries to access the cameras... it seems like a hardware issue.

Got another system? Just perform a system transfer!!!!! It'll copy EVERYTHING that's on the system memory (photos that were taken without the SD card, save data for Faceraiders, AR Games, and Streetpass Mii Plaza, etc etc) and will also make your current SD card useable on the target system.

If you really wanna be extra sure though, an SD card backup won't hurt.

GOD DAMMIT HOW THE FUCK DO I LINK TO SHIT ON AMAZON WITHOUT THIS STUPID SITE AUTOCORRECTING IT TO BE A BUNCH OF LINEBREAKS
Its ok haha! I figured the link out (and it can ship to europe! Awesome!! ) looks great, im excited to be able to see my pictures again! And definitely a hardware issue. The poor thing is seeing the end of its days, the top screen is falling off the bottom and missing a hinge on the right. Thats probably the cause for all the suffering, i dont think it can be repaired. Then, for a system transfer unfortunately i don't have a another one, but if I do a system transfer then EVERYTHING will be on the SD card?! so if i want to get a new system in the future, I could have it ready? :0

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Its ok haha! I figured the link out (and it can ship to europe! Awesome!! ) looks great, im excited to be able to see my pictures again! And definitely a hardware issue. The poor thing is seeing the end of its days, the top screen is falling off the bottom and missing a hinge on the right. Thats probably the cause for all the suffering, i dont think it can be repaired. Then, for a system transfer unfortunately i don't have a another one, but if I do a system transfer then EVERYTHING will be on the SD card?! so if i want to get a new system in the future, I could have it ready? :0
What happens during a system transfer:
Everything within the System Memory is moved to the target system. This includes photos, audio recordings, and save data, as well as any DSiWare.
Your NNID (Nintendo Network ID) is transferred to the target system.
The source system will format itself, making it essentially brand-new software-wise.
Games, Save Data, Extra Data, and Media (photos/videos/audio) as well as other files on the SD card will be unaffected, as they're not relevant to the System Transfer in most cases.

HOWEVER! Performing the System Transfer WILL automatically make ALL SD cards that were used with the source system usable on the target system, so once the transfer is over, just pop the SD card out of the old system and into the new one!

Additionally, Nintendo eShop purchase history and tickets will be transferred to the target system, with the exception of fake tickets. (generated by homebrew/installing ripped game CIAs)
This usually isn't a problem unless you have homebrew installed, so I recommend abstaining from making your system swag until you've transferred to a system you KNOW you'll want to be your MAIN Nintendo 3DS system (a great example for me would be a N3DSXL with a capture card.. the dream...) so that it'll be easier (doing a system transfer when cfw is involved is bullshit, at least in my experience)

Also! You'll need to wait 7 days between every System Transfer. Not that important, but you oughta know.

sinneslochen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What happens during a system transfer:
Everything within the System Memory is moved to the target system. This includes photos, audio recordings, and save data, as well as any DSiWare.
Your NNID (Nintendo Network ID) is transferred to the target system.
The source system will format itself, making it essentially brand-new software-wise.
Games, Save Data, Extra Data, and Media (photos/videos/audio) as well as other files on the SD card will be unaffected, as they're not relevant to the System Transfer in most cases.

HOWEVER! Performing the System Transfer WILL automatically make ALL SD cards that were used with the source system usable on the target system, so once the transfer is over, just pop the SD card out of the old system and into the new one!

Additionally, Nintendo eShop purchase history and tickets will be transferred to the target system, with the exception of fake tickets. (generated by homebrew/installing ripped game CIAs)
This usually isn't a problem unless you have homebrew installed, so I recommend abstaining from making your system swag until you've transferred to a system you KNOW you'll want to be your MAIN Nintendo 3DS system (a great example for me would be a N3DSXL with a capture card.. the dream...) so that it'll be easier (doing a system transfer when cfw is involved is bullshit, at least in my experience)

Also! You'll need to wait 7 days between every System Transfer. Not that important, but you oughta know.
Whoa, thank you so much for the help! and yeah Ive heard lots about 3DS hacking and how supposedly easy it is so maybe an tech inept like me could figure it out. Hopefully this device will work to save my pictures!
PS i checked out your site. Very unique and stylish! :) again many thanks!

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, thank you so much for the help! and yeah Ive heard lots about 3DS hacking and how supposedly easy it is so maybe an tech inept like me could figure it out. Hopefully this device will work to save my pictures!
PS i checked out your site. Very unique and stylish! :) again many thanks!
thank you!! its still a wip but thank you :-)

Anyway, when you do get around to installing CFW (custom firmware) for your 3DS after transferring,
do not, and I cannot stress this enough;
DO NOT
use video guides. EVER.

Go to https://3ds.hacks.guide/ for an in-depth and easy to follow guide on installing (and troubleshooting) homebrew.
Only issue I have with it is that it says to ask for help in a discord server rather than in a forum thread like on here.
But honestly, it's a very good sign that you decided to come here for help! Since posts in threads show up in search engines, things like discord messages don't.

Sorry for the somewhat scary warning, but I just can't stress it enough. When it comes to homebrew, don't look it up on YouTube. That's a simple way to remember it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway