Homebrew GBA emulator for the ... DS?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, then... anyway, I just thought the following:

The Gba has just a lil better specs then the SNES, so what's going on anyway... I don't quite understand.... I could only think of it this way:
The DS is too slow to read the fast GBA Cards, cause compared to the SNES Cards they have (really) fast read speeds, or ?
Partially true, partially not. Yes, the GBA expects lightning-fast response times, and the only thing a slot-1 user would have that would be fast enough would be the DS's on-board RAM. However, there is only 4 MB of this, which would have to store both the rom and the emulator itself. Perhaps a paging system could be created that would call up chunks of ROM into RAM as needed in order to get 4 MB games to run, but this would probably be pretty slow.

However, the GBA's specs far surpass the SNES's, hence why it's possible to emulate the SNES on the GBA in the first place. http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_Advance has a chart that compares the specs of the two systems. The SNES also expects fast response times as far as I know, which is why the paging system is needed in SNEmulDS in order to run games larger than 2-3 MB.

Bottom line however, emulating the GBA on the DS would take quite a bit of work, and very few developers would even give it that much effort because the DS already has 100% compatible hardware emulation via slot-2, while a software emulator would never be able to reach that level of speed and compatibility.

mithrilfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With all due respect to mithrilfox, and my sympathy for his manners and dedication, I can't get over the fact that his first computer was a Commodore 64 while mine was a ZX Spectrum 48K.
Because of that we shall remain sworn enemies, even though nowadays we share a common interest for the DS homebrew scene.
I would recommend him to quit looking for an inexistent GBA emulator and redeem himself by downloading ZXDS and catch up with all the 8-bit goodness that he missed in the 80's !!!
wink.gif

Any recommendations for games?

And, BTW, I wasn't that dedicated to the Commodore
wink.gif
. Loved the Atari and then my NES.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
With all due respect to mithrilfox, and my sympathy for his manners and dedication, I can't get over the fact that his first computer was a Commodore 64 while mine was a ZX Spectrum 48K.
As a proud owner of an Atari 800 as a first computer, I feel obliged to hate your both respective guts.

wink.gif

As for the GBA emulator question: it's a very frequently asked one. They first started when the GBA Movie Player got homebrew support. At the time, they were taken seriously and discussed at length. The general agreement: might be possible possible in theory, but with all the flashcards around, why bother.

But with the sudden explosion of simple, easy, user-friendly (but sadly devoid of GBA support) Slot1 cards, we get that question once a day. People are a bit... testy. Any n00b asking the question is bound to be made fun of and insulted by the same people that asked the same question a couple of months back. Oh well.
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and: welcome to the forum
smile.gif

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The people who say GBA emulation on the NDS is impossible need to get a reality check it can be done but probably not at full speed, i'm working on a prove of concept demo but thus far I've been unable to get it to display the demo gba rom on the real nds but it works in the emulators, i'll workout why its not displaying on hardware sometime but for now know it can be done

Don Andy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The people who say GBA emulation on the NDS is impossible need to get a reality check it can be done but probably not at full speed, i'm working on a prove of concept demo but thus far I've been unable to get it to display the demo gba rom on the real nds but it works in the emulators, i'll workout why its not displaying on hardware sometime but for now know it can be done

Not to run you down or anything, but didn't you kinda prove them right just there?

sasuke_kun12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
was about to say something to mithrilfox, then realised he was from japan and he actually can type proper english. Way to go! wish i could speak jap...

In my opinion GBA emulation is the same thing as asking if slot-1 cards will play GBA roms. Though you can easily prove me wrong and i will agree with you if you give me some hard supporing evidence
biggrin.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
They may be similiar things, but they have different reasons for not working.

They are the same thing. They also have the exact same reasons why they don't work.

Some of the reasons why it wont work(FAST is better at explaining this then me
happy.gif
)

1. The rule of thumb with emulation, is that to emulate something it has to be 10 times more powerful
2. The GBA likes to get access to any part of a ROM at any given time(hence 32MB RAM in flashcarts). Current memory is too slow for this

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The rule of thumb with emulation, is that to emulate something it has to be 10 times more powerful
2. The GBA likes to get access to any part of a ROM at any given time(hence 32MB RAM in flashcarts). Current memory is too slow for this
Memory issue aside, GBA code can't be run natively through the slot-1 data bus due to a hardware implication of the DS itself.

And two comments on your first "reason".

1. Completely doesn't apply because no emulation would be involved in this.

2. Its called a "rule of thumb" because thats exactly what it is. You also need to take into consideration the similiarities between the DS and GBA hardware, so it probably wouldn't require it to be "10 times more powerful", more likely a relatively lower number.

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
If you ask me, it is pretty ridiculous and waste of time to emulate a GBA on NDS which already has the GBA hardware on it and plays GBA games. Pay a few more bucks and get a Slot-2 solution like you did with the Slot-1, that is much easier for everyone, but of course, you could try if you just love taking challenges, and you will have my respects for the spirit.

Oh ya, emulating the GBA on SLOT-1 would mean to completely ignore the existing GBA hardware and rewrite a software emulating it with the NDS power. Yes, as ridiculous as it may sound, it is the completely different thing than to run GBA roms on SLOT-1 with help of the existing GBA hardware.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They may be similiar things, but they have different reasons for not working.

They are the same thing. They also have the exact same reasons why they don't work.

Some of the reasons why it wont work(FAST is better at explaining this then me
happy.gif
)

They are not the same thing. Emulation is one thing, interpreting (running) code is a different thing. [simplify] If the processor is the same type, and can interpret the same code, all you have to do is try to adjust the system clock (get the processor to skip every second tact or something). If processors are different, you have to emulate the original processor, i.e. to literally translate every instruction in the code to another language (instruction set) on the fly, and also adjust for differences in architecture (also on the fly; sometimes an even bigger problem). You need a much faster processor to do this. [/simplify]

Take a look at the DOSbox project as an illustration.

The "rule of thumb" is applied in emulation; the DS can't emulate the GBA, but it doesn't actually have to: it could just interpret GBA code: in theory, with a lot of tweaking, code adjusting, weird address fumbling, and some serious voodoo, and all in all, really isn't worth the effort, with the EZFlash 4 at only $30, or the EZF 3-in-1 at only $22
happy.gif

Magnifico

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Because of that we shall remain sworn enemies, even though nowadays we share a common interest for the DS homebrew scene.
I would recommend him to quit looking for an inexistent GBA emulator and redeem himself by downloading  ZXDS and catch up with all the 8-bit goodness that he missed in the 80's !!!
wink.gif

heh good lookin out, commodore 64 user here =). i never heard of zx spectrum though, i guess ill pick that up along with FrodoDS. always up for old skool gaming

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've seen posts on this GBA on NDS shit a million times and it's incredibly annoying. Noobs should have to complete a training course before using the forums because obviously they don't understand the basics of searching. GBA on NDS is possible through interpreting as veho said, but the slot speed difference will cause a problem. And personally, I believe the original poster is a jerk for thinking he is above the rules and posting a repetitive topic anyway. End of story, good night!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, laugh awkwardly