Homebrew GBA emulator for the ... DS?

mithrilfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since Slot 1 devices are unable to play backups of our favorite (owned) GBA cartridges, it seems it would make some sense to make a GBA emulator for the DS (though a bit of overkill, huh).

Has anyone done it, or is anyone doing it? If we had one, we wouldn't need to worry about Slot 2 devices anymore (if the thing worked(.

Julee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The slot-1 processor isnt fast enough for software emulation of GBA games and isnt compatible with hardware emulation. The emulation would have to take place on a processor built into the chipset of the flash card.

bhamophet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
woot..this is the (insert numbers here) times this question was asked!!

Im a noob too once so i understand
happy.gif

P

pasc

We all were noobs, bhamophet, but this is no way to get around the fact that he:

Did not use the search feature.

I think we should sticky this so it won't happen again.

P

pasc

Yeah, then... anyway, I just thought the following:

The Gba has just a lil better specs then the SNES, so what's going on anyway... I don't quite understand.... I could only think of it this way:
The DS is too slow to read the fast GBA Cards, cause compared to the SNES Cards they have (really) fast read speeds, or ?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST is the best at explaining all of this, but I will have a shot
laugh.gif
. The GBA likes to have access to all of the memory in a split second(hence 32MB RAM in flash carts). Slot-1's are too slow to do this.

mithrilfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some of you guys are just plain jerks.

Just quit responding to posts you don't like or feel are repetitive. It's a lot more effective than angering yourself over everytime someone asks a question that has been asked before. Besides, is this your personal palace where you seek to maintain the purity of "one question only asked once" ?

Additionally, I poked around for a bit and did not find a post that made it clear in the title that it was about this. I will not ask for any forgiveness for not dedicating myself to pursuing every post made in order to make my own. I do consider it proper forum etiquette to ensure that the topic is not immediately present in the forum at the time of posting, but if no one ever discussed the same thing twice, the forum would be pretty sparse when it comes to content, and new comers would not read and learn as much about the subject. Additionally, new insights are occasionally brought forth, and people that were not previously members get a chance to respond to a situation or question that was presented before they were part of the forums.

That, and the fact that if you get so worked up about something like this, you definitely need to hit the power button and spend some time in the world of flesh and blood for a while. I understand the frustration, but it only comes from labeling oneself as elite and then everyone who hasn't spent forever on in your particular area as a "n00b," "newb," "N0ob," or whatever other monstrous form that this high and mighty insult will take. Reminds me of Halo... and that's a bad thing.

Consider the reality that many are experienced forum users who just don't always feel like taking the time to painstakingly comb through your forum's databases just to make sure that they are not asking your self-proclaimed "n00b" questions. People come to forums like this precisely for the very thing that you slam them for: to get answers to questions. It doesn't matter how obvious it is to you, or how much you have personally made it a "NoOb" question; fact remains that to most people these are not so easily answered. A Google search for this did not produce for me a satisfactory result; I did not receive a direct answer to a direct question the way I would have perferred.

Anyway, if I weren't so thick-skinned, you would have run off another person who just came to ask an otherwise "innocent" question. Does it feel good? If it does, you really gotta stop posting for a while. Either that, or find a healthier addiction.

mithrilfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found the Sticky. I don't want to get into flaming either,as it is a waste of me typing.

EDIT- I went to google, and the first link I found said I could not do it Google Link

If you don't want to get into it, erase your post and repent that you ever posted it.

I don't mind calling out jerks for being jerks. Don't want to derail anyone's post, but since I posted this one, I will gladly point out that you still miss the whole thing here. I've been using computers since I was 11, and if I may start a little pissing contest, I started out with the Commodore, moved on to Apples and whatnot, and then started with old MS-DOS. Loved Windows 3.11 when it first came out on my ancient Packard Bell. Remember thinking that there was nothing good on the internet when CompuServe first offered it as a "feature." Played around with various programming languages and knew more about C than my college professor did.

What does this show? Even very experienced users of the internet and forums don't always know the exact phrasing or way to find certain answers or materials. I searched on Google again, and I typed this, "GBA emulator for the DS." Didn't find an answer on the first page of results; they were all about GBA emulators and DS emulators, but not specifically a GBA emulator for use on the DS. Also tried another similar combo of those words, still didn't find a direct answer.

If you know exactly what to look for, I suppose it's easier. Additionally, after you become experienced in an area, it is easy and very immature to act haughty in the face of those who are new to the scene. I am new to DS homebrew, and attitudes like yours are just not good for anyone. That's it, bad for everyone.
wacko.gif

A true forum poster who knows how to do it right will always seek to lift up the atmosphere. Relax, refrain from posting this kind of dribble that only spews flaming and trolling, and decrease your own blood pressure while you do it. Who knows, maybe we'll actually make newcomers feel welcome. Or do we not want to do that? If you want to create your own little private VIP party (where you, of course, are a VIP), don't do it on someone else's public forum. That sound cool? Sounds cool to me.

Let's be nice to each other. Trying to get the upper hand, one up the next guy, show off, put down, and slam are all actions that lead to bad forum behavior. Trolling, derailing, hijacking -- whatever you call it, it's bad. Real bad. Well, as bad as it can get when it's just text on an internet website. Well, no, text on a website could be much worse than that if... But I digress. Let's just stop it.
smile.gif

mithrilfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for those who kindly and simply answered my question. Special thanks to those who could give me a succinct answer as to why it is likely not even possible.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just pointing out that I found the sticky and that you can use google. Trolling's for losers anyways

Last time I post here
laugh.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see what was wrong in The Last Spartans post, he got you the damn info for you.

Anyhoo I'd recommend you get a cheap slot-2 device, theres so many great GBA games that I reckon its worth it.

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
'fraid the DS Slot 1 processor isn't powerful enough to emulate the GBA. The only way to do it is with a DS flashcart that has a processor onboard that can emulate the GBA and I don't know if they make processor's small enough that they can fit in flashcarts for the Slot 1...
Guess only time will tell...

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
We don't ignore the thread because we like to help. That's how this community works. Please don't take our response on this thread to represent the atmosphere of the whole place, you just (unknowingly) hit a sore spot
smile.gif

I don't know why you couldn't find it ("gba emulator" turns up a whole page of hits), but maybe we need another sticky about this in the "Emulators" section. Most of these questions fall into the realm of "can (insert slot1 name here) natively run GBA", so the sticky's in the flashing hardware section.

Try getting regularly asked this question since October(ish) and you'd be getting a little tetchy too
wink.gif
Most of these question-answer-reply sessions go the same way so we often feel like we're going in circles. This isn't one of them (most people don't take "it can't be done" for an answer, and the rest of the thread runs down the same track of replies every time) and while your question was genuine with some genuine effort put in on your part, please understand that 90% of them don't even bother. Sorry you got caught up in that.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With all due respect to mithrilfox, and my sympathy for his manners and dedication, I can't get over the fact that his first computer was a Commodore 64 while mine was a ZX Spectrum 48K.
Because of that we shall remain sworn enemies, even though nowadays we share a common interest for the DS homebrew scene.
I would recommend him to quit looking for an inexistent GBA emulator and redeem himself by downloading ZXDS and catch up with all the 8-bit goodness that he missed in the 80's !!!
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...